Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Idiotic drop bar question
  • funkmasterp

I’m pretty new to drop bars and have just purchased a pair of cowchippers. Can anybody recommend good tape for multi surface riding (bit of everything really) and what’s the best way to apply it? 😳

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Buy some you like the sound of and give it a try.

Here’s how to wrap it

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU0gvx_2Gco[/video]

ssboggy

what’s the best way to apply it?

YouTube is your friend, plenty of videos on there.

Edit too slow!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

To stick it on, just watch some guides on youtube, and make sure you start off the right way at the ends otherwise your hands tend to unwind it.

I got pissed off with expensive stuff (Lizzard Skins DSP, Fizik Performance classic). It wears out just like cheap stuff and costs 5x more. The DSP was nicer than anything else, and maybe worth it on a bling build or for a treat, but it’s not 5x better than the usual synthetic cork stuff.

My current tape is some 99p stuff from ebay/china. It;s not great though. I’d recommend some generic mid/low priced tape from any of the big brands.

akira

Lizard Skin DSP usual answer round my parts, most of the guys I know run it.

scotroutes

DSP. It has a slightly tacky feel to it, even when wet. That means you don’t feel you have to grip the bars so tightly and hence you get less vibration numbness.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As above.

Bar tape shall be Lizard Skins DSP in black.

/Thread.

simondbarnes

Lizard Skins DSP here

leffeboy

In the dtf video above it looks like the tape is being wrapped in the opposite way that I would expect. Anyone else find this?

(And applauds dtf if it was deliberate 🙂 )

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What leffeboy said. Looking from above you wrap from the inside out so that when you grip the drops your palm pushing down doesnt unpeel the edge of the tape.

I dont disslike DSP, it’s just a lot of money! One way to make it more paletable is to only re-tape the sections that wear out.

jonnyboi

The boardman stuff in Halfords is pretty comfy and you get decent screw in bar plugs too. Plus you can rewrap it.

CraigW
    Free Member

I like Fizik bar tape, with the bar gel for a bit more comfort.

Useful guide and video from Park. http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/handlebar-tape-installation-drop-bars

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

In the dtf video above it looks like the tape is being wrapped in the opposite way that I would expect. Anyone else find this?

(And applauds dtf if it was deliberate )

😀

It honestly makes no difference though, apart from it’s probably easier to wrap as shown in that video.

funkmasterp

Thanks all. I shall buy some and give it a go. What’s the worst that could happen?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Idiotic drop bar question’ is closed to new replies.