Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Idiotic bicycling idea no.3, or the Cannock to Coast nocturne. June 12th.
  • bobbyspangles

I really enjoyed the DD and Exmouth Exodusnight rides. and being Midlands based I would like to give something a go from Cannock.
    So the plan is to ride from the Chase n Friday 12th June and arrive in Aberystwyth some time later, specifically at Sophies cafe where the bacon will be ready.
    Its a total of 128 miles.
    There are some hills.
    We will be leaving at around 8pm, give or take.
    Stopping for food en route and catching the train back in the morning, unless there are hundreds of us then a coach will be organised.

No cost to enter
    No charity sponsorship, but feel free to add it if you want
    Tea and cake as we set off
    Vague route planning with faff included for free.

Proposed route here

Anyone else up for it?

jekkyl

Hmmm interesting, what kind of handlebars will the bike you intend to ride on for this ride be fitted with? 🙂

wellhung1
    Free Member

Good luck riding through Telford…they eat their young still out there.

molgrips
    Free Member

All those country lanes at the start look like slow work!

Mbnut
    Free Member

A lot of ‘unclassified roads’

What are they? Roads or of road sections?

I’d be interested in a 75% off road route but i’m not a big roadie.

Either way it’s a good idea… goes off to think of something daft to do myself.

scandal42
    Free Member

Sounds interesting,

What are the off road sections like? Do-able on a cross bike or full mtb territory?

Don’t mind the road sections myself, any idea what the % is

Speshpaul

Mick Boulton does a similar thing from Ironbridge to barmouth for the severn Hospice, he might be worth speaking to if you haven’t sorted a coach yet.
    http://www.boultonsofshropshire.com/cycletours.aspx

As with Micks route you will come right past my house, which would probably be the point i would give up and go to bed.

jekkyl

What about going the other way? Cannock to Boston is 113 miles according to google maps, that route would be flatter too and you could take advantage of the prevailing east to west wind. It would be ideal to pick up a sustrans route somewhere for the majority of any ride like that I reckon.

bobbyspangles

Thank you for the advice but nope, Its Cannock to Aberystwyth I would like to do-don’t really want it to be too flat, beside the last part of the ride is all downhill to the sea.

I will bookmark that coach company, they could come in handy.

I had not heard of the Ironbridge-Barmouth ride, looks good. But this will not be for charity nor any entrance fee or minimum sponsorship raised. As numbers grow, maybe?, then logistics will be added but still with no cost.
    This is not chugging, its just a stupid bike ride.

Speshpaul

Micks made keen, take one row of seats out of the coach to get the bikes in etc, does a few trips every year to europe.

rOcKeTdOg

So, getting my head around this, (can’t view map at work) this is an MTB or road ride?

bobbyspangles

Its a road ride, but mountain bikes will be welcome. Come one come all.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve done the Ironbridge to Barmouth many times, back in the day it was part of my training rides for racing… Got I miss that place (Ironbridge) beautiful.

So, having done those routes (in and around Ironbridge/M Wenlock/Shrewsbury) into Wales and back you a sure to have a great time. It’s really not too taxing a route that one, should be great fun.

Best of luck.

I’ve even just peeked at the Boultons site to see if the Ironbridge to Barmouth is on, but alas can’t find it 😕

Teifiterror
    Free Member

If its a road ride then you have a track which you are using to get from the A44 to the Cwmystwyth road, this is not a proper “road”, but rideable if your ok with some very broken tarmac.

scandal42
    Free Member

Whats the severn way like for bikes? The route takes that in if i’m seeing correctly.

bobbyspangles

This part?
    sustrans route planner image

Help me out here chaps, never ridden this route before but it does look like fun. I have organised the cafe at the end to open early for a brew and a butty. Not obligatory, feel free to bring trangia and cook on the beach, its what I did on my first DD

bobbyspangles

We have lift off!
    Coach arranged for the trip back, £19 per rider. Not compulsory but tickets will be available soon:
    Facebook events page

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Idiotic bicycling idea no.3, or the Cannock to Coast nocturne. June 12th.’ is closed to new replies.