Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • Idiot Unions!
  • Stoner
    Free Member

no idea orange, since Im not a tory either 😯

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Im not a tory either

See what I mean Stoner ? ………you can’t even be trusted to be a Tory.

It’s them eyes……..dead giveaway. Shifty.

scaredypants

as I always say in these threads, if anyone is interested in undertanding a bit more about the money markets I highly recommend Money-Machine-How-City-Works

Thanks Stoner, but surely that’d be tantamount to reading the instructions. Think I’d better stick with asking inane questions on the www (til christmas maybe)

(Fred/Ernie, those eyes do seem to be leaning toward the left a bit)

druidh
    Free Member

Thank you Stoner for your eloquent explanations. Perhaps a few on this forum have now been educated beyond what the tabloid writers would have us all believe.

So, what did the Banks do wrong? Well, in essence, they were trading debt as if it were an asset. This was good for them. It made them look rich and strong and inflated their value so they could grow and grow, eating up smaller Banks as they went. Successive governments were delighted by this. Profitable Banks boosted the economy. They generated lots of income for HMG in the form of various taxes. They employed lots of people, all of whom were paying income tax. Unemployment numbers were reduced, minimising benefits. And of course we were all happy to go along with this. We all wanted a share in the dream.. Hell, how easy was it to get rich? All you had to do was buy a crappy flat somewhere, paint it, put up some nice curtains, and suddenly you were a property developer.

Did the Banks cause the recession? Well, probably yes. But it was all set off by a general slowdown anyway. As soon as there was any doubt around, those “assets” in the form of traded debt suddenly looked a bit thin. And so the whole house of cards came crashing down on a massive lack of confidence.

So, where did all the money go? Well, there aren’t thousand of bankers going around with a split of the £900Bn UK debt shared amongst them. Mostly it never existed in the first place. We were all just happy to spend beyond our means, happy to turn a blind eye to the fact that we weren’t really earning it. From those at the top who were (and still are) happy to cream off what they can, to those at the bottom, who were (and still are) happy to believe that they can live on state handouts and/or a massive public sector. Councils, corporations, Quangos and governments all living beyond their means on the never-never, and all of us complicit in the convenient lie.

ononeorange

My apologies Stoner – I must have confused you with another Stone-related username, no idea who though!

(Shuffles off in old-aged confusion).

Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Idiot Unions!’ is closed to new replies.