Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Idiot requires advice on AVG finding a trojan horse 'infection'… what to do?
  • snowpaul
    Free Member

Hi all,

I know v little about computers – I have free AVG and it found a Trojan horse. Fake Alert.ZO virus – it has been put in the virus vault etc and seems to be the end of it – is it or do I have to do anything else to remove it ?

Anyone know what its all about – have I exposed my computer to all sorts of harm?

yours in ignorance

paul

samuri
    Free Member

If you keep getting alerts you have a problem, if not you’re probably OK.
    From the sound of it it just downloads some more malware and creates a load of annoying popups. See what happens though.

Cougar

I’d suggest running a full AVG scan in safe mode first of all (press F8 on bootup, if you see the Windows loading screen you’ve missed it).

This one is a Zlob variant IIRC, in which case your next step is the ubiquitous Malwarebytes.

You want to take this infection seriously, as it has the ability to download and install further infections. Nail it promptly or you’ll be in a right mess.

Cougar

Might be worth running the scanner here afterwards too.

http://www.eset.com/online-scanner

BigJohn

I run MSE but find that some pesky critters only get picked up by the free version of Malwarebytes. That’s worth a try.

spacemonkey

If you think it’s real then sign up (it’s free) and post on TSF.

They really know their stuff on there. It might take a day or two for someone to pick it up, but once they do they’ll give you step by step instructions.

Xylene
    Free Member

Hitman Pro

Burls72
    Free Member

I had the free avg and then updated to the new free 2011 version. It caused my computer to run very slowly so I downloaded Comodo which is also free and deleted avg. There was a thread on here which recommended it and it is a lot better than avg.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Smash it! Smash it! Kill it to death by death!

Then burn it with fire.

It is the only way…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Idiot requires advice on AVG finding a trojan horse 'infection'… what to do?’ is closed to new replies.