Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Idiot on A1 Caught on film. What you think?
  • somouk
    Free Member

Here’s a challenge for those who have to drive on motorways. Try and maintain the 2 second rule for any length of time in the outside lane of the motorway. Its impossible, as all the morons think thats an acceptable gap to jump into!

The radar cruise control on my car is set to maintain a suitable gap and you’re right a lot of people think it’s a suitable gap for them to jump in to. Pain the backside!

GrahamS

I did go searching thinking that I would find an explicit example. I interpret it as part of being considerate – especially given the rules in 168.

I’d say you are right that it is “considerate” to let someone out if they are indicating (and it is safe to do so) but there is a pretty BIG difference between it “being considerate” and being “obliged to give way to them”.

Sadly too many people seem to think that turning on an indicator means everyone else has to accommodate them.

Here’s a challenge for those who have to drive on motorways. Try and maintain the 2 second rule for any length of time

Yep. In fact just try doing that on any road.

Another (equivalent) rule of thumb is that you should leave 1 car length for every 5mph. Which I’m sure good advice, but practically impossible. 🙁

konabunny
    Free Member

I guess unless we have a motorway driving instructor/tester in our midst we’re not going to know what the recommendation is in those circumstances.

Don’t talk pish, man. It does not say what you wanted it to say. There’s no ambiguity. Just own it and move on!

Northwind

bigyinn – Member

Here’s a challenge for those who have to drive on motorways. Try and maintain the 2 second rule for any length of time in the outside lane of the motorway. Its impossible, as all the morons think thats an acceptable gap to jump into!

If you start on the M74 and work south, initially it works perfectly but as you get near to Tebay the pressure just slowly rises til without really noticing it happening, 2 seconds is too big a gap…

But then, head for Manchester, hit the ring road and suddenly 2 seconds isn’t just a gap big enough for 1 car to pull into, it’s a gap for a roadtrain of 3 to pop in 😆

Mister-P
    Free Member

I was actually impressed the Focus driver bothered to indicate, many folk just dive over. If I had been driving the camera car I would have backed off. It was obvious he was coming over whether you wanted him to or not so why be an arsehole yourself?

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, but he indicated in a CRAZY NUTTER PSYCHO way.

hora
    Free Member

People who have clusters of near-misses, close-calls etc etc (who then film) aren’t entirely blameless.

If someone seems to have alot of near misses I’d say LOOK AT THE WAY YOU DRIVE YOU TOOL.

crankboy
    Free Member

Alexsimon
    “Strange comment – you think that being considerate is dangerous?”
    No but your belief that a driver is obliged to give way to an indicated manoeuvre is . In the example of the second clip the indicating car was being overtaken so clearly breaches the highway code you quote by pulling out dangerously in front of the overtaking vehicle because his flashing light gives him a mystical priority and invulnerability . As a good rule of thumb your manoeuvre is not courteous or safe if it imposes a need to brake or manoeuvre on another driver.

AlexSimon

I never said the focus driver wasn’t at fault. There are various things that focus driver does wrong. All dangerous.
    I just think the camera car could have handled it better. It was obvious what was going to happen and we see it all the time. What he did was also dangerous (i.e. driving as if the car hadn’t pulled out at all).

Junkyard
    Free Member

Is it acceptable to just sit in the outside lane?

I think , unlike A simon*, the highway code is pretty clear on this one

Neither is great driving IMHO

Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass.

I assume we all agree the car is being/about to be overtaken so I think your quote disproves your point….they should have slowed down to let them pass not pulled out which obstructs the pass.

Beina a 60 mph inside lane pootler my main problem is the middle lane hoggers who get upset when I pass a truck by using their lane. About 3 or so a week go mental , when they eventually reach me, even though the third lane is completely empty

Northwind

You don’t know what’s behind the camera car though, he might have had a bumper sitter of his own limiting his choices.

Have to say, UK dash cams are rubbish, we need some crazy Russians.

dogbert
    Free Member

Obviously the first thing that popped into my head was:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4Av4xAV600[/video]

slackalice
    Free Member

Two rules people!!

Give way to the right

Keep left unless overtaking.

How many times? 🙄

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Idiot on A1 Caught on film. What you think?’ is closed to new replies.