Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Idiot car driver – a slightly different twist (warning, unicycle content…)
  • aracer
    Free Member

Riding into Worcester yesterday, up a minor dead end (for cars) road which pretty much just goes to a riverside pub/hotel. The road narrows for 20-30m so it’s only wide enough for one car, not even room for a car and a bike/uni. I was already in the narrow bit when a car coming the other way decides to enter the other end of the narrows – despite me being very highly visible. I’m not sure the driver expected what happened next – I was riding a giraffe unicycle (google) which isn’t that easy to get on and off or ride around things, and there’s no way I was getting off to get out of his way (which is the only way I could have safely got out of the way). Nor was I squeezing past him. On a unicycle you can idle (google) to stay on the spot, so I stopped in the middle of the road and idled. He stopped. I shouted at him that he needed to get out of my way and that he couldn’t squeeze past. So after a bit he did pull off the road to the side.

Presumably he thought a “lower form” of vehicle would just get out of his way? I’m quite sure he didn’t expect me to “stop” in the middle of the road like that (I doubt he realised I could 🙂 )

Superficial
    Free Member

I stopped in the middle of the road and idled. He stopped. I shouted at him that he needed to get out of my way

Hmmm. It sounds like he was being a dick. And maybe you were being a dick as well. Whilst on a unicycle.

Chin scratcher.

jekkyl

Maybe he thought you were on the way to the circus and so in possession of a very cheery disposition. Maybe you should have dismounted straight into a forward roll then roll out of it straight into chucking a custard pie into his astonished face finishing up on your knees doing outstretched jazz hands whilst shouting triumphantly ‘TA DAAAAA.’ while he wipes the goo from his eyes.

theotherjonv

^ this obviously

But actually person in car fails to give way to oncoming traffic because said oncoming traffic is a bike and CAR TRUMPS BIKE!

See also t-junctions, left hooks, etc.

nickjb
    Free Member

But actually person in car fails to give way to oncoming traffic because said oncoming traffic is a bike and CAR TRUMPS BIKE!

This is the problem. I live in a Victorian terrace area and consequently all the roads have rows of parked cars on both sides making them single lane (with passing places where there is a gap in the parking). When driving people are generally courteous and pull into gaps, flash lights, wave to pass and say thanks when on the bike they usually drive straight at me. Not sure what they are expecting but I often have to stop and squeeze into the tiny gap between parked cars.

jamj1974

Let me help you out here. In this situation there was one dick. It wasn’t you.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Don’t feel too victimised.

When I’m out in the van I get the same. They just assume you will get out of their way.

Kryton57

despite me being very highly visible. I’m not sure the driver expected what happened next – I was riding a giraffe unicycle

A small laugh then a round of applause as as you squeeze your squeaky nose and the Acrobats make an entrance?

Serious answer, this negotiation happens every day between all kinds of vehicles, luckily not everyone involved chooses to post in a forum else the internet would be full <yawns>.

perchypanther
    Free Member

finishing up on your knees doing outstretched jazz hands whilst shouting triumphantly ‘TA DAAAAA.’ while he wipes the goo from his eyes.

How many nights out have ended up like that?

tjagain

Its the classic car driver entitled thinking. Round here we have chicanes in the road to slow cars with those red and white arrows showing who has priority. Even if the car does not have priority half the time the try to bully me on my bike out of the way..

cookeaa

Yep, even circus nerds have rights on the roads. You probably shouldn’t have been juggling though… 😉

456mocha
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTRQ7KBYjuQ[/video]
    OP yesterday? 😀

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

perchypanther – Member

finishing up on your knees doing outstretched jazz hands whilst shouting triumphantly ‘TA DAAAAA.’ while he wipes the goo from his eyes.

How many nights out have ended up like that?

😆

neilwheel
    Free Member

Best not to assume anyone else is bothering to think about their actions.

giantalkali
    Free Member

Remember, if it all kicks off at the circus, go for the juggler.

flyingmonkeycorps

I just accidentally googled Giraffe Unicorn. That’s my search algorithms screwed.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

It happens to me all the time, mostly when I’m out on the pogo stick, people just don’t expect it!

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

The most STW OP ever. 8)

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

It happens to me all the time, mostly when I’m out on the pogo stick, people just don’t expect it!

Had a few close passes whilst on my space hopper recently.

Kryton57

OP’s in contravention of the Highway Code anyway, Rule 66:

“keep both hands on the handlebars except when signalling or changing gear”[/i]

DezB
    Free Member

person in car fails to give way to oncoming traffic because said oncoming traffic is a bike

Not in this case it wasn’t.

belugabob
    Free Member

I get this most days, on the narrow section of country lanes that form part of my commute.
    The thing is, I’m in my car – proving that idiots aren’t prejudiced against any particular form of transport.

aracer
    Free Member

It does, and we’ve happily discussed people being dicks in cars on here many times before – and whilst I have had people do similar when I’ve been in a car, this definitely felt like one of the cases which wouldn’t have happened if I’d been in a car.

Though you have to admit it’s not quite the same as a normal post on this, and the thread does appear to have had the intended result of providing some amusement (if you’re bored, the rest of the internet is just over there…) I did quite enjoy the somewhat different demonstration of “I’m not going anywhere, you’ll have to get out of the way” at the time – stopping like that is something I do a lot when riding around people to wait for space*, so probably is a bit less dickish than stopping in the middle of the road on a bike (not that I ever thought I was being a dick – if there had already been a car in the narrow bit when I got there, I’d have stopped and waited in the wider bit).

Though I suspect as somebody commented above, the main issue was lack of brain engagement. There appeared to be kids in the car, and doubtless if I’d been a couple of minutes later and passed them when after they’d got out of the car the driver would have been pointing me out to his kids and they’d have been amazed (not willy waving, that’s just the reaction I get from pretty much everybody I meet when out on that uni, even the gangs of surly teenage lads tend to be impressed rather than just rude).

* the main reason for the ride was to practice stuff like that, so in a way he provided a useful service

Gary_M
    Free Member

Driver was being an arse, op was being a bit of a clown.

DezB
    Free Member

Interesting – from kryton’s post (highway code), are unicycles legal on the road? I mean, no brakes, no handlebars… (funny looking)…

aracer
    Free Member

😆 finally somebody nails it 😀

nickjb
    Free Member

are unicycles legal on the road?

It’s a somewhat grey area. Some laws specifically mention unicycles such as the Statutory Instrument 1989 No. 1796: The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 or Statutory Instrument 1994 No. 1519: The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 1994 so they are classed as road traffic but others specifically don’t and define a bicycle, tricycle, or cycle having four or more wheels, not being in any case a motor vehicle

My inexpert opinion of that is that they are road legal but don’t have to obey certain laws that apply to bikes, but have to obey some others. All a bit moot as it’s never been tested in court aiui

Interesting also from some replies that while car drivers look down on bicyclists, bicyclists get to look down on unicylists (although not literally in the OP’s case 8) )

scuttler

Mint thread.

aracer
    Free Member

Ah, well it’s tricky. They fall into a bit of a grey area legally. There’s certainly no requirement for handlebars* (the HC is guidance, not law), and brakes aren’t required if the wheel is directly driven (ie the cranks attach directly to the wheel axle), which makes most unicycles perfectly legal (at least as legal as most of our bikes which are also missing reflectors).

The observant will note that on a giraffe the wheel isn’t directly driven (mine is chain driven), which makes me a criminal. Though I look forward to the video of the police expert attempting to prove the stopping distance on a giraffe would be less if it had a brake 😆

You’re about right – if you ride on the road, then you should be road legal, though as pointed out most unicycles do meet the relevant regulations (reflectors etc. excepted) and are legal to ride on the road. Personally I don’t choose to ride on the road much – I’ll ride on the quiet roads round
    our local housing estate, or similar quiet roads to that one, but certainly not on major roads on most of them. Ironically the exception is my other one which isn’t strictly speaking road legal because it also has no brakes and has a geared hub (though it has handlebars).

The reality is that it is never likely to be tested in court. I’m actually reminded of something I’d forgotten – I had just ridden past a couple of policemen on the riverside path which is dual use for pedestrians and cyclists (like most of the places I choose to ride). On a unicycle I’ll tend to ride on the road or pavement depending on which is better/safer for me, and I’d be extremely surprised to be stopped, but then I adhere strictly to Wheaton’s Law.

Interesting also from some replies that while car drivers look down on bicyclists, bicyclists get to look down on unicylists (although not literally in the OP’s case )

Sorry Gary, nick has just stolen the thread 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

Driver was a dick.

As soon as they see a bike many think (well, don’t think) “I can/must pass”.

Kryton57

brakes aren’t required if the wheel is directly driven

The judge that put the guy from London in jail doesn’t think that’s the case.

kerley
    Free Member

The judge that put the guy from London in jail doesn’t think that’s the case.

Just what I was thinking as as I ride brakeless fixed so I am no different than a unicycle when it comes to braking (would even guess I could slow down faster but have never ridden a unicycle)

Presumably the law is around 2 wheels need 2 brakes (even if both brakes on rear wheel?) but 1 wheel needs 1 brake.

miketually
    Free Member

brakes aren’t required if the wheel is directly driven

The judge that put the guy from London in jail doesn’t think that’s the case[/quote]

That wheel was driven via a chain, not directly as on a unicycle.

theotherjonv

Presumably the law is around 2 wheels need 2 brakes (even if both brakes on rear wheel?) but 1 wheel needs 1 brake.

I thought it was each wheel needed an independent braking system? So you can have a front and a fixed rear but not a rear and a fixed rear?

Where does that leave one armed riders (there are some) who have both wheels braked off the same lever?

cinnamon_girl

I’ve just Googled giraffe unicycle and watched a Youtube vid. 😯 Respect indeed and can appreciate wanting to stay in the saddle!

cinnamon_girl

What a great vid posted by 456mocha, that little lad is amazing. 😀

nickjb
    Free Member

Where does that leave one armed riders (there are some) who have both wheels braked off the same lever?

Doubt its an issue. Similar to virtually every other road user, with all brakes operated by a single pedal.

aracer
    Free Member

Try reading what I wrote – Mr Alliston didn’t have “cranks (which) attach directly to the wheel axle”.

Well the obvious difference is that you’re explicitly breaking the law, but for reasons discussed extensively on the Charlie Alliston thread, there’s no way you could slow down as fast as a unicycle, because a unicycle effectively brakes on the “front” wheel. I guess it would be tricky if unicycles went as fast as fixies, but they don’t, and even from 10-12mph on a big wheel I can stop pretty much instantly – unlike with a fixie, the weight transfer works in your favour.

The important law here is The Pedal Cycles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1983, specifically Regulations 7 to 9 of that. Regulation 9 provides the unicycle brake exemption “Nothing in Regulation 7 or 8 applies to a) any pedal cycle so constructed that the pedals act on any wheel or the axle of any wheel without the interposition of any gearing or chain”. As mentioned above, my giraffe doesn’t comply with this, but I’m happy that it meets the spirit of the regulations (any brake would make no difference at all to how quickly I could stop, which is pretty much instantaneous).

Meanwhile it appears that operating both brakes from the same lever is illegal, as Regulation 7 says “two independent braking systems”.

kerley
    Free Member

there’s no way you could slow down as fast as a unicycle, because a unicycle effectively brakes on the “front” wheel.

Would love to test that as I find it hard to believe. If you are travelling along at 15mph and need to stop quickly how exactly do you do that on a unicycle? Presumably just slowing down with your legs in same way as slowing down with legs on fixed gear bike ?

What technique do you use to be able to stop more quickly as slowing down with leg back pressure is not going to cut it on a unicycle or fixed gear.

from 10-12mph on a big wheel I can stop pretty much instantly

From 10mph I can stop pretty much instantly on a fixed gear too but how long would it take you at say 20mph?

nickjb
    Free Member

At 15-20 mph you are more likely to be on bigger wheeled unicycle which would have a brake for road use. You are also far less likely to be doing those sorts of speeds on anything other than open road.

What technique do you use to be able to stop more quickly as slowing down with leg back pressure is not going to cut it on a unicycle or fixed gear.

How do you know it won’t cut it on a unicycle? Have you ridden one or are you trying to equate it to a fixed gear bike (which is very different)?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Idiot car driver – a slightly different twist (warning, unicycle content…)’ is closed to new replies.