Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Idiot Brother and Father Content. Electrics are involved too. Please advise.
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

I left my old Halogen (bike) lights at my parents so my brother can use them if he ever comes out on a ride with me.

Now after a teenage boy being a teenage boy and not putting the lights away after they had been used the charger goes missing (I suspect my Dad). The two of them were looking for the charger last night.

I just spoke to my brother and he says that they didnt find the charger but did find ‘one that fit it’ the ‘charger’ that fit my battery apparently says Hornby on it I can only assume that they got it out of my Dads train set. Now as far as I know the charging circuit is in the charger and not the battery. So are they just pumping electricity into the battery and not charging it? Is there a risk of their house burning down as they have gone out for the day leaving it to ‘charge’.

Thanks in anticipation.

wwaswas

they may get away with smoke damage to one room.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I am worried (slightly) that they may be burning their house down so is that really a risk?

Apparently it went on last night.

The battery is a Electron NiMH Rechargable 4800ma Bottle Battery FWIW.

spooky_b329

Firstly, the polarity could be wrong which I don’t think the battery would be happy about (charger should have a symbol saying if the centre tip is + or -, you’d have to work out which is correct by looking at the battery wiring)

Secondly, the Hornby charger is probably charging at 12 to 14v, whats the battery pack voltage? If its say 7.2v you expect it to charge at 8 or 9v, a 12v batt would normally charge at 13 to 14.5v so could cook the battery 🙁

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

At best, your battery will probably be ****

Worst – your bettery is **** and the house burnt down

wwaswas

the hornby supply is complete unregulated – it’ll just keep pumping 12v at whatever amps it can down the wire.

most chargers stop charging when they detect the return current fromt he battery changing (ie. full charge).

there is a real risk of significant damage to the battery and posisbly, it overheating. Whether there is a fire will depend on what surface it’s on and how hot it gets.

I_Ache
    Free Member

The battery is a 6v and the original charger wasnt a smart charger the instructions were c12 hours then take off charge.

I should think the Hornby is a transformer and not a charger as it would be for a train set and they arnt rechargeable are they?

I think the battery will have been on charge since about 10 last night and it is likely to be on a wooden surface.

This is the battery
    This is the original charger

wwaswas

I think you should phone them and explain your concerns.

no-one on here is goign to say ‘it’ll be fine’ because it may not be.

wwaswas

some hornby controllers appear to be 16v ac output.

although the dc ones do seem to be fairly low current so all may not be lost.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I have already phoned them and explained what I think may happen unless they are lucky but they will be out until 5. Im just glad my bikes are at the in laws. There may be a fire damaged 456, Zaskar and a DMR Swichback in the classifieds soon.

molgrips
    Free Member

I had Vistalite lights with I think a 7.2V or maybe 6V NiMH battery pack. The charger I am absolutely sure was just a transformer, with no charging circuit in it. I don’t recall the voltage output. The thing is, the voltage across the battery terminals will climb as the battery gets more charged, so this will result in less and less current flowing as the batter y voltage approaches that of the supply, which I assume was a crude way of regulating the charging. The batteries would get quite hot if you left it on charge for say 24 hours – it was meant to be a 4 hour charge – but I don’t know if any damage was done. I think it said something like don’t leave them on for 24 hours.

So I think you can charge them with a normal transformer but ONLY if the voltages match. Don’t stick a 12V supply onto a 7.2V battery. You’ll either bugger it or set fire to something.

some hornby controllers appear to be 16v ac output.

although the dc ones do seem to be fairly low current so all may not be lost.

It probably wont’ be properly current limited – so drawing more than the rated current will either burn out the transformer or more likely blow a fuse (or thermal cutout). If it’s got a current rating written on it, that just means what you can draw from it without risk. You can draw more, but it’ll get damaged as above.

wwaswas

“Don’t stick a 12V supply onto a 7.2V battery. You’ll either bugger it or set fire to something. “

which, unfortunately, is exactly what they did…

molgrips
    Free Member

which, unfortunately, is exactly what they did…

So, we await the outcome 🙂

takisawa2

Posted 2 hours ago.
    Should be well alight by now.

coffeeking
    Free Member

If I were to take a guess I’d say it’ll be ok but you will have removed a good deal of the life from the battery. It could be a lot worse, but impossible to tell. Personally if I found someone had done that I’d suggest that they excuse themselves from work for half an hour to go and take it off charge. IF its a correct polarity, fairly close in voltage terms and only on for a short time it will probably do very little harm but when it goes wrong it goes wrong fast and unpleasantly!

wwaswas

I’ve been checking ther bbc for ‘battery charging numpties burn house down’ related stories and can’t find anything.

was everything ok?

batteries nicely charged?

midlifecrashes

Hope everyone still untoasted. Just dug out my own charger for my set. For info it says:
    Output 6.5V 1000ma, polarity is neg outer, pos centre.

molgrips
    Free Member

batteries nicely charged?

Nicely charred more like.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Idiot Brother and Father Content. Electrics are involved too. Please advise.’ is closed to new replies.