Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Idiocy on the roads this week – what have you seen?
  • Smee
    Free Member

This week I have been overtaken by an articulated lorry on a road that was white with snow.

Also been forced to run four red lights to give space for folk to skid into.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Not much apart from some idiot running red lights

😉

grahamh
    Free Member

Lots of tail gateing and
    “Its safe for me to drive at 80+mph on snow and slush I’ve got my fog lights on”

thomthumb
    Free Member

people on phones, right up my arse, wheelspinning manically in the snow to climb very small inclines, overtaking with no room, driving with snow on the screen, driving far too quickly in the snow, a bus sideways in the road, lack of indicator use – the clue is in the name; they indicate what you are going to do, cos no love we can’t work it out from the blank look on your face!! grr!!

not all snow related.

Rich
    Free Member

😆

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

4×4 drivers who drive exactly the same way or faster than they normally would with no snow in order to justify to themselves and others purchase of said vehicle.

teacake
    Free Member

BMW yesterday with snow on all windows except driver and front window. Took a RIGHT turn form a side road, onto the road in front of me, almost taking me out.

BMW = worst drivers on road.

case
    Free Member

Guy in a Jeep Cherokee doing a 4 wheel wheelspin in about 2cm of snow while I cruised past him on my Mountain bike.

That or the guy in the office across the road from us who didn’t seem to be able to grasp that if he parked his car on an icy slope and it slid down revving his engine a lot wouldn’t make it stick. Took him about 10 minutes of constant engine revving, sliding, engine revving, sliding to figure it out.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“This week I have been overtaken by an articulated lorry on a road that was white with snow.”

How covered with snow? You see lots of people who see the slightest bit of snow and slow to a crawl.

I bet some lorry driver is on a lorry driver forum asking the same question, why do some car drivers drive so slow that you need to overtake them.

Also the most numpty thing I saw in Sheffield was people driving too slow up a hill, so eventually they lost momentum and could get no further causing huge que’s behind.

IMO if you dont feel confident with the fact that you car will slide on snow, then just dont bother drivng on it!

Smee
    Free Member

Covered enough to be white after the truck had driven over it. I was doing 40mph at the time – twisty road.

40mpg

Driving up the M3, fast lane closed on matrix signs and covered in deep slushy snow. Other 2 lanes quite busy, but moving steadily at 30 to 40 mph.

Some twunt decides its ok to use the outside lane at 60, then everyone else follows him! I mean WTF cant people a) follow guidance from the people who control our roads b) make a judgement themselves and not follow like sheep to the slaughter.

I stuck to the inside/middle lane, quite safely and comfortably.

ebygomm
    Free Member

People driving at 15 mph because it was snowing – 3pm, 2 degrees outside and no snow on the roads.
    Multiple BMW drivers spinning their back wheels and going nowhere on a very slight incline.
    A HGV following 15ft behind me on my bike on a road covered with packed snow

aP
    Free Member

Probably me losing it with a VW Polo driver who despite me wearing a hi-vi, having 2 flashing front lights, having reflectives ‘n’ shit ‘n’ stuff (TM Armstrong and Miller) thought it was perfectly acceptable to pull straight out across me forcing me up the kerb, and then after she’s turned up the next road and pulled up and parked said, “I didn’t mean to do it”
    “SO WHY DID YOU DO IT THEN”

theotherjonv

loads of stuff but the best was a traffic light crossroads. LH lane for straight on and left, RH lane for right and officially allowed for straight on but since the right turners are usually stopped by oncoming traffic, hardly ever used for going stright on as you just have to stop and wait or try to move back over again.. Just after the junction, drops back to single lane again.

So the traffic is moving through the junction OK and some twunt behind me sees the outside is clear (no right turners). Pulls out and speeds down the outside with the intention of jumping back at the junction. Except, where it’s hardly been used except for right turns, the cleared surface stops abruptly where the rt turn is, and the straight on is still snowed up. So he hits a foot of snow and ice at about 40mph and needs now to move over to the left abruptly into a lane of moving traffic to avoid crossing the white line into the oncoming stream.

Totally loses control , ends up sideways, clips the kerb of the traffic light island hard with the rear wheel which somehow throws the back round again and onto the cleared part of the road where he regains grip sufficiently to avoid a total wipeout. The cars behind all have to drop anchor but thankfully because we’ve taken account of the conditions we’ve left enough space.

Hopefully he’ll have learnt something. i doubt it.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Driving up the M3, fast lane closed Idiots on the motorway who seem to think there is a fast and slow lane. People with postage stamp sized area to look through on their windscreen, audi tt driver with about 4 inches of snow on his car and didn’t have a clue what was going on around him.

Idiot on a bike riding across an icy moor road in the dark, lights on but a stupid and dangerous place to be.

ski
    Free Member

I spotted a X5 trying to reverse out of a ditch on a bend.

What a shame the little ones wont be at school on time 😉

Some freak in shorts and a t-shirt with laptop bag walking to work, looking very cold!

I assume he also had ditched his motor somewhere too.

emac65
    Free Member

“Been forced to run 4 red lights”
    You do know that’s illegal & you can get done for it ?

molgrips
    Free Member

People driving down a steepening icy cul-de-sac at the top of which they live, to turn around and then not being able to drive back up, and abandoning their cars outside our house.

See that glassy or white stuff on the road? It’s called ICE and it’s a bit slippy!

Pillocks!

djglover
    Free Member

This week I have been overtaken by an articulated lorry on a road that was white with snow.

I was overtaken by a lorry doing about 80 through a foot of snow in the Rockies a couple of years ago, managed to get into the track he left behild and get some speed up. I think we would have got stuck had it not been for the lorry

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I saw a bloke riding to work and his tyre logos weren;t lined up with his valves. I almost stopped him and kicked sh1t out of him for that one.

Smee
    Free Member

emac65 – you do know that you only need to stop for red lights when it is safe to do so don’t you?

lunge

I’ve found out this week that the apparently the best vehicle for driving fast in the snow is a white Transit.

M40, yesterday morning, eveyrone doing 45mph in the inside 2 lanes as the outside lane was covered in snow and ice. I only saw 2 vehicles in the outside lane, a snowplough and a transit. The latter was first.

emac65
    Free Member

Smee,see what happens if you cause an accident whilst jumping a red light

enfht
    Free Member

I saw some crazy dude this morning running up the icy/slushy road with his kid on his shoulders

Smee
    Free Member

emac65 – who is talking about causing collisions by running red lights? I’m talking about getting out of the way to avoid someone crashing into the back of me. Or would you prefer that I just acted like a **** and took the hit?

funkynick

Smee… so jumping red lights on a bike is legal? Brilliant… 😀

emac65
    Free Member

(pressed the wrong key)

goon
    Free Member

In the last batch of snow I saw a car waiting to turn right at a junction. Somehow the driver had made it there with about 2 inches of snow on every window bar where the wipers sweep. I’m guessing the penny had finally dropped and he wound the window down to be able to see. Whereupon a huge amount of snow fell in on his lap.

I just about swamped my self laughing.

emac65
    Free Member

It’s your choice but if you’re running red lights then you’re no better than the people you are slagging off for bad driving imo….
    Plus,
    Whiplash claim = a nice new bike.
    You gotta look at the big picture sometimes 🙂

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Lol @ WCA!

Chill out!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Whiplash claim = a nice new bike.
    You gotta look at the big picture sometimes

Spurious insurance claim= cost of insurance goes up for everyone else.

Gotta look at the biggerer picture, sometimes… 🙄

emac65
    Free Member

Oh climb down off yer soap box 😮

oldgit
    Free Member

Saw a suit in an Audi TT who had totally lost it and was reving the bolio’s off it and going nowhere whilst the world and his dog pootled past.

Lots and lots of people flooring it, thinking that’s the way to start on an icy hill.

Annoyed mostly by the lady in the Freelander whilst on the phone driving up hill on the bypass in the wrong (oncoming) lane.

coffeeking
    Free Member

3 cyclists without lights, at night.
    Dozens of cars with fog lights on in daylight and snow conditions.
    Dozens of people creeping along at 20mph in a 60 because there’s snow in the fields to the side.
    People getting all upset and flashing me when I’ve overtaken them on said 60mph limit road despite it being safe and clear to do so.
    Innumerable taxis and buses taking the wrong lane across great western road and then forcing their way across without indication.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

emac65 – you do know that you only need to stop for red lights when it is safe to do so don’t you?

If that is the case why is it an offence to go through a red traffic light and why do we have red light traffic cameras?

I always understood that there are no mitigating circumstances for running a red light

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Oh climb down off yer soap box

LOL! I was only joking!

Although false claims are out of order.

Smee
    Free Member

ema65 – your opinion is pants. Running red lights to prevent an imminent collision is good driving – end of.

GavinT
    Free Member

A couple of cars crashed on the Bostal Road in Steyning on Monday. Staggeringly stupid – it’s one of the steepest roads in Sussex at 17%. Why anyone would even considering driving on it is beyond me.*

*I thought as I pedalled past. ;o)

coffeeking
    Free Member

Red light cameras only go off if you’re about 2 seconds late – 2 seconds is a LONG time at driving speeds, you’d deserve to be ‘ad!

Got to agree though, shifting out of the way to avoid a rear-end makes sense, but I’m not sure theres a need to run the light completely and certainly you’d be booked for it regardless of cause if the police saw you.

Smee
    Free Member

BTW – my definition of running a red light is passing the stop line…..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Idiocy on the roads this week – what have you seen?’ is closed to new replies.