Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • iDiet from a different angle…
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

So I think it’s been covered to death what you’re diet should mainly consist of for the normal meals but what about the post exercise food?

Is it important that the carbs consumed are high GI?

Does it matter if you carry on just being iDiet compliant without them?

Should we just use the opportunity to eat fruit and chocolate?

Jamie
    Free Member

So I think it’s been covered to death

…and yet, here we are.

iDave
    Free Member

If you’re a biffer, carry on with the iDiet, if you’re not – simple carbs are OK – in fact it’s only of the only times when they are – which I’m sure you know…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’m going to wring every last bit out of this topic Jamie. Until a new diet plan comes along anyway.

So what you’re saying iDave is best to just keep on iDieting and eating the lowest GI carbs possible.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I got home yesterday about 5pm, having ridden/driven most of the day and not had lunch due to riding. I had lunch and dinner combined in one sitting, and then proceeded to eat pretty much constantly til 10pm and then went to bed! 😀

I’m actually interested to know what to do about post exercise hunger…these days i’m pushing myself much much harder on the bike in an attempt not to get dropped during the fastest chaingangs/RRs. It leaves me so hungry afterwards. It is only at the weekends I get that hungry so its connected to a hard ride – with the emphasis on hard. I can ride for 3/4 hours without needing to it if i’m just bimbling. (I would normally eat a honey stinger bar or two during the ride, hot chocolate in the cafe stop after the ride, then normal lunch asap when i get in which is a mixture of carbs and protein and normal dinner plus anything else i can get my hands on!). How can I curb this? I’m not going to stay this light for much longer at the rate i’m going!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

How can I curb this?

WTFU?

How long are you riding for in the races/ chaingangs?

Work out calories out… then address this with calories in.

hilldodger
    Free Member

All the figures I’ve seen for bike calorie use are of the order of 25 cals per km/hour at “energetic pace” and 15-20 at “recreational pace” (for the mythical “average 65kg person”)
    So 30km in an hour at chain gang pace will be using about 750 cals, less if lighter than 65kg more if heavier.
    A small Italian Margherita take away from Pizza Hut is about 700 cals, so eat 1 per hour of chain ganging to replenish – all slightly tongue in cheek of course but you get the idea 😉

mustard
    Free Member

A small Italian Margherita take away from Pizza Hut is about 700 cals, so eat 1 per hour of chain ganging to replenish

but that leaves you in a 150cal deficit after 3hrs! – wafer thin mint?

And Claire – you’re probably still in deficit!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve read that high GI foods soon after exercise are best as the muscles are ready to absorb glycogen.

IanMunro
    Free Member

All the figures I’ve seen for bike calorie use are of the order of 25 cals per km/hour at “energetic pace” and 15-20 at “recreational pace” (for the mythical “average 65kg person”)

For anything at “energetic pace”, I’ve found this enormously helpful

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRuNxHqwazs&ob=av3e[/video]
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-3qncy5Qfk&ob=av3e[/video]

iDave
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4c-rSmBjEw[/video]

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

How long are you riding for in the races/ chaingangs?

Work out calories out… then address this with calories in.

Calorie burn (according to the polar) is usually around 1,500 – 2,000 for a ride…can be around 700 an hour if i’m racing, or around 600 normally. Don’t count calories in, i just eat til i’m full and then eat some more when i get hungry again! This is what happened last year, and I put on 4kgs and then stayed that weight til touring and I can see similar happening asap at this rate.

Are you coming to Majorca with us then? Do you ever wear your compression top after riding? Yesterday my upper body hurt after battling into the wind and thinking a compression top would be good for days like that?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Still investigating… cost may be prohibitive. Having just bought a bike and shelling out for events isn’t as cheap as I’d thought.

. Don’t count calories in, i just eat til i’m full and then eat some more

I think that’s your problem right there. You’d probably feel less hungry if you had a decent protien based breakfast… fry-up? Maybe try eating more through the ride as well. Teh better you refuel whilst still on the bike, the less you’ve got to do after?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Dunno aboutt he science, but I’ve started taking 2 half full bottles of drink with me on rides, one with water + zero tab and the other with a pretty concentrated (well, about 2x more concentrated than I’d make it for an all day ride) 1:2:1 mix of fructose:maltodextrin:whey + squash. Drink one in the first hour then the other in the 2nd hour, and I get off the bike feeling OK, rather than outright knackered with just a bottle of zero over 2 hours.

Are there any side effects to eating too many carrots? Raw carrot’s the only snack* I seem to find in any way appealing (appart from nuts) during the day, so must be eating 4 on average every day!

*I know idave’s supposed to stop the urge to snack, but I ‘graze’ if it’s not carrots, its harribo, a 200g bar of chocolate and the biscuit tin. Even a 10 egg ommlet for breckie isn’t going to stop me.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

TINAS – I think you need to change your mindset before you’re going to achieve your weight loss goals.

Keva
    Free Member

I’m sure there must be people out there riding way above their fitness levels with all this getting so knackered and hungry after riding.

Kev

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’m sure there must be people out there riding way above their fitness levels with all this getting so knackered and hungry after riding.

It’s what DOMS was invented for.

Personally if I can’t exercise the next day, I’ve overdone it.

mustard
    Free Member

This makes no sense to me at all.

How do you intend to improve if you only ever pootle about within your comfort zone?

donsimon
    Free Member

Am I in the minority because I don’t feel hungry after a ride? More often than not I eat because I have to, not necessarily because I want to.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

IMO there’s a big difference between extending yourself and knackering yourself.

I was reading something by a tri coach that was in favour of a constant training plan that did away with rest weeks etc and aimed to have the athlete at optimal condition all the time.

I also read something by Armstrong about his weights routine that basically said if he had DOMS he’d f***ed up as it meant he couldn’t train.

phil.w
    Free Member

by optimal condition i assume he means optimal for training but not race condition?

or did he suggest not even training to peak for key races?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

He meant race condition.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What nonsense!

Jamie
    Free Member

How do you intend to improve if you only ever pootle about within your comfort zone?

The comfort zone is for losers. It’s the danger zone, or nothing at all….

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8rZWw9HE7o[/video]

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I was reading something by a tri coach that was in favour of a constant training plan that did away with rest weeks etc and aimed to have the athlete at optimal condition all the time.

You just want an excuse not to rest! 😛 I doubt very much it’d be possible to maintain peak performance right the way through the season without easier weeks, on top of having a full time job and every day life. I’ll be sticking to whatever my coach sets me after the ramp test.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

haha, you’ve discovered my plan.

It was an article containing the philosophys of different tri coaches.

Some are the no pain, no gain mentality. Some are very, very structured, others more laissez-faire…

There is no one size fits all training program.

philconsequence
    Free Member

There is no one size fits all training program.

have you tried wearing a powerbalance bracelet?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

No. Where can I get one? Do they come in different sizes?

Jamie
    Free Member

Do they come in different sizes?

They have adjustable straps.

philconsequence
    Free Member

dont worry, you can just buy a girls one if you’re wrist is too small 😛

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

They have adjustable straps.

Sort of like a one-size fits all solution then?

phil.w
    Free Member

Even pros don’t stick at peak performance through a season. They target certain races and peak for those.

One size not fitting all is right though. I think it was Victoria Pendleton in an interview recently said she found it hard to peak more than once in a season so really just aimed for one major event.

MSP

I think that’s how Chris Mccormack trains, and he seems to have won a few things.

phil.w
    Free Member

oh, was the tri coach Joel Filliol?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Could be. I’d have to check.

Footballers can keep at peak performance for a whole season… why can’t other athletes?

Keva
    Free Member

I don’t pootle within my comfort zone but I’m fit enough to whizz round a 25-30 mile xc loop in a couple and half hours without dying afterwards. I usually go to the pub to quench a well earned thirst.

Kev

hilldodger
    Free Member

I guess the footballers reference is the usual stw “wendyball thing” but I don’t think you’ll find any pro footballer (except maybe the occasional ‘keeper) who plays every minute of every game – same for any contact team sport I’d imagine…..

donsimon
    Free Member

Footballers can keep at peak performance for a whole season… why can’t other athletes?

Are they at peak though for the whole season?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

who plays every minute of every game

There were some pretty astounding stats for (I think) Terry and Lampard a couple of seasons back where they were both playing every game. But yeah the footballer link was a bit of a wind up.

What I meant really is that it is maybe more logical for endurance athletes like IronMen to be at a level where they’re consistantly fit instead of pushing for just the one big event.

mustard
    Free Member

I usually go to the pub to quench a well earned thirst

so you’re drinking the calories rather than eating them?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘iDiet from a different angle…’ is closed to new replies.