Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Identify this Spitfire
  • outofbreath
    Free Member

Saw this outside the Boultbee Academy at Goodwood today:

Painted as mk392, but Google suggests mk392 is rather famous and no longer in existence.

Is this just Boultbee’s RR232 with different paint? (It certainly looks similar) Or a visiting Spitfire, in which case which one?

CountZero

Existing Spits and Hurricanes regularly get repainted in the colours of famous aircraft, as a sort of honour to those who flew them, as I understand it.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Existing Spits and Hurricanes regularly get repainted in the colours of famous aircraft, as a sort of honour to those who flew them, as I understand it.

Well yes, but I must confess I thought they tended to leave the tail numbers as original. Last year RR232 was (IIRC) painted as a different famous aircraft but the tail number was its own.

schmiken

Looks like RR232, and it’s a slightly bad reproduction of MK392 if it still is RR232. They’ve made the same error a lot of people have before – it shouldn’t have the Canadian flag pennant, and the Js should have flat rather than rounded bottoms.

/pedant

outofbreath
    Free Member

When someone who knows this:

it shouldn’t have the Canadian flag pennant, and the Js should have flat rather than rounded bottoms.

Tells me this:

Looks like RR232

That’s good enough!

outofbreath
    Free Member

I found out today it was a plastic replica!

tinybits
    Free Member

I don’t know much about spit marking but…. That’s a replica of a spit flown by Group Captain Johnnie Johnson.
    Those who like 2nd world war fighters should read his book, ‘Wing Leader’. It’s brilliant

CountZero

outofbreath – Member
    I found out today it was a plastic replica!

It was probably a genuine Spit, but all the real ones used as gate guardians were replaced with glass fibre replicas, and the real ones distributed to restorers, which is why there are so many flying these days.

samunkim
    Free Member

Years ago I remember seeing (in a book) a unique super streamlined spitfire which was being used as a personal “hack” by a base commander during WWII.

It wasn’t a PRU but was built for some kind of record attempt.
    Does it still exist ?

onlysteel
    Free Member

Pretty sure the really old 1/72 Airfix Spitfire kit came with JE O J decals, but without the invasion stripes. Mk lX?

MrSmith
    Free Member

I went for a road ride at lunchtime round biggin hill and think I saw that one leaving, well it had the wing and tail bars the same anyway.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Identify this Spitfire’ is closed to new replies.