Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Identify this crank (pic heavy)
  • bruceonabike
    Free Member

I bought this crank on here about a month ago for a hack build, it was sold as a Raceface but it has been powder coated so any identifying marks are obscured. First ride out last night and the NDS crank arm came loose. On close inspection this morning the thread on the securing bolt has been stripped so I need to get a replacement. Google suggests there are many to choose from and none really look like mine.
    If anyone recognises either the crank or securing bolt please can you let me know what it is.
    Many thanks all. Bruce

Pics:

Stoner
    Free Member

an old truvativ firex ISIS?

finbar
    Free Member

It’s an ISIS crank. I’ve got a couple of crank bolts I can send you if you cover postage (though it might be easier/cheaper to go to your LBS – sure they’d hook you up with some for very little).

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I was going to say Truvativ Elita.

Is the DS attached to the axle, or is it a separate ISIS BB?

bruceonabike
    Free Member

DS and axle all one piece, I’m using an XT BB.
    LBS has given me a spare bolt but although it has the same thread the head is slightly different from my original meaning the dust/self-extractor cap won’t go on, so it’s only a temporary bodge.

finbar
    Free Member

That’s all kinds of weird (one of your facts is wrong, basically):

1. If you are using an XT bb it must be Octalink, not ISIS. Shimano never made ISIS bbs.

2. There are no Octalink chainsets where the driveside crank arm is permanently attached to the axle.

bruceonabike
    Free Member

Oh dear! Perhaps I have the wrong BB, it is brand new MT800 from ChainReaction. The crankset is second hand.

Maybe some more pics will help clarify…

The last pic is the bolt my LBS gave me

finbar
    Free Member

Yeah, we were all wrong previously (sorry!) – it’s not an ISIS crank, it’s a GXP one. Like this:

The BB is still wrong I’m afraid though.

GXP cranks have a stepped spindle – 24mm diameter on DS, 22mm on NDS whereas Shimano HT2 (the BB you bought) is 24mm diameter straight. The likes of Hope make a top-hat reducer bush for the job I think, if you can’t return the Shimano one and get a GXP one like this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sram-alloy-gxp-bottom-bracket/rp-prod55194?

bruceonabike
    Free Member

Oh poo! The crank only cost me 30 quid and is turning out to be more trouble than it’s worth, sounds like I’d be better off sourcing a Shimano compatible one and trying to shift this on to try to recover my cost.
    A quick look at reviews suggests that GXP BBs aren’t favoured anyway. 🙁
    No chance of CR accepting my XT BB back after it’s been fitted and ridden.

finbar
    Free Member

Yes, that’s what I’d do.

You can probably pick up some Shimano HT2 crank arms without rings or BB pretty cheaply on eBay…

superfastjellyfish
    Free Member

My bet would be that it is a Raceface x-type crank as the bolt in the OP looks a lot like their self-extractor style. 10mm Alan key outer face and 8mm inner?

https://goo.gl/images/rn5jZJ

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of bikes with GPX and the stepped spindle finbar mentions – ditched them for Shimano when the bearings have gone – the BBs are stupidly expensive (compared to Shimano).

theboatman
    Free Member

I’ve got some scuffed deore crank arms from a double you could have for the price of a cheap bottle of plonk and a couple of quid posted? 172.5mm

bruceonabike
    Free Member

I’ve got some scuffed deore crank arms from a double you could have for the price of a cheap bottle of plonk and a couple of quid posted? 172.5mm

Is that with an axle or just arms?
    How cheap do you drink plonk? 🙂

theboatman
    Free Member

They are these, in black and 170mm (my apologies) with chainrings currently still attached. Obviously mine have lots of scuffs and worn chainrings, they just came off my old soul when I sold the frame. I can go a low as Sainsbury’s house white at £4.25 😛 so with postage how about £7.50? Will happily mail you some pics if you give me a couple of hours.

bruceonabike
    Free Member

Deal. I’ll mail you.

sillyoldman

Looks like an old Truvativ Stylo GXP – 1st gen.

bruceonabike
    Free Member

Whatever it is, does anyone want it?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Identify this crank (pic heavy)’ is closed to new replies.