Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Identify this component (hammer drill content)
  • spooky_b329

Help!

The smoke escaped from my antique Bosch hammer drill, closer inspection shows the culprit to be a tiny component under the trigger switch. Its metal contacts piggyback onto the live and neutral where they connect to the switch, and it has another wire that leapfrogs the switch and connect to the drill gubbins.

I’ve been unable to identify it on ebay using the various numbers on it, help me save my drill!

nickjb
    Free Member

Capicitor. Or more likely a few Capicitors in a single package.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I’d Google the part n mber but the units would suggest a capacitor

Cougar

This is probably worth a repost.

http://www3.telus.net/bc_triumph_registry/smoke.htm

nickjb
    Free Member
    Cougar

Given that it’s got a rating on it in micro- and picoFarads, I’d suggest that’s three capacitors in a box.

Cougar

Seems to be a reasonably common issue.

See here and the page linked by “Dakotax3”, http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=129453

spooky_b329

Thanks guys, part ordered for <£10 🙂 Hopefully its the right one!

Cougar

Link?

craigxxl
    Free Member

As Spooky pointed out, part 12. Mine went last year. Make sure you don’t disturb any more wires than you need to. Otherwise you find out the drill only works in reverse and they are pig to sort out.

spooky_b329

Success! After putting it back together it wouldn’t work but then discovered the fuse had also popped…then spent a few minutes head scratching as it was only a 3 amp fuse which seems weedy for an SDS drill, but I did the maths and 500 watts/240 volts does indeed draw less than 3 amps.

Back to abusing it with jobs requiring unsuitable levels of torque…

(200mm screws)

(although Mr Sky man did a p-poor job screwing the ugly dish to my house, half the holes didn’t even have plugs in them…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Identify this component (hammer drill content)’ is closed to new replies.