Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Identify the hub / can it fit 132×12?
  • makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Hi all

Can anyone identify this rear hub and can it be changed to 130×12?

Thanks

http://imgur.com/gQCwwCe%5B\img]

stevied
    Free Member

Looks like a Hope hub. Does it say what model it is somewhere?

RustyMac

Looks like an old hope XC hub, pre pro2. Based on angular sloping enlargement to the cassette side, Pro 2 is more bell shaped.

From memory the rear hubs can not be converted to 12mm through axle (i thin the pro 2 was developed with a larger diameter hub shell to accomodate the larger bearings required for a 12mm through axle). Also these hubs have not been supported for some time so finding spares could be difficult.

Standard with of that hub will be 135mm so dropping it down to 130 or 132 could also be tricky

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

It is hope. Sorry. Should have said that. No, I can’t see a model on it. Thanks

alanf
    Free Member

That looks more like a bulb than an XC to me.
    If it is a bulb you have more option with axles but I think you’ll be stuck with 135 unless you want to bodge it some way.

alanf
    Free Member

I think there is either 12mm or QR for the rear bulbs but both would be 135mm.
    I think the XC only came as QR with no option to convert. The bearing IDs aren’t big enough to accept larger axles AFAIK.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. Testament to HOPE quality, I’ve had it so long I can’t remember what it is. Never needed a spare part and the only time a tool has been near it is to change cassettes.

I know I could google it, but has the actual width if the hubs changed in the last few years?

Thanks

nixie

There are hubs now which are wider (142×12, 150mm DH hubs, Boost) but the standard mtb qr width hasn’t changed from 135mm. What do you need 130mm x12 for, are you sure its not 135mm x 12?

alanf
    Free Member

135mm was the standard width for most MTBs. Some downhill bikes ran a 150mm rear end but these would have been specific hubs.
    Recently there have been the newer 142mm rear ends and more recently the boost rear ends, but I’m not sure the exact specifications for those.
    I’m still using 135mm rear ends on all my mtbs.
    Road rear spacings are different, I think 130mm is/was the standard although that will likely change.

STATO
    Free Member

there were some road frames that use 130mm disc hubs, they were rare as everyone has now moved onto 135/142mm hubs. Off the top of my head I can only think Colnago (possibly), Identiti, Specialized Tarmac (but that’s even weirder as its also offset I think).

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

**looks very embarrassed**

Yep. 135×12.

I guess the question remains, just different details.

I couldn’t see ProII written anywhere. Does that mean it’s a BULB? Surely it can’t be that old… having said that, I genuinely can’t remember when I bough it. Years and years ago.

STATO
    Free Member

Id say bulb based on the pronounced step after the taper, which I though was not present on the XC.

Look here for details -HOPE tech page

alanf
    Free Member

You can convert the bulb to 135×12 but finding an axle might be more problematic.
    The last one I had I converted to QR and I had the axle sat in the spares box.
    Someone (from here) was looking for one a while ago and were struggling to find one and I let them have the one from my hub.
    Good luck tracking one down, I don’t think Hope would still stock them but might be worth a shot.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I emailed HOPE who told me what to look for and I will when it’s light. If it’s XC then no luck. If it’s a BULB then there were conversion kits. Sadly, no longer made and can’t find them anywhere.

Sadly, a new hub is the same price as the frame I was looking at.

aland – The axle will come with the frame I was looking at. HOPE man (impressively fast reply) says they haven’t had the kits for a long time.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Identify the hub / can it fit 132×12?’ is closed to new replies.