Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Identify a chainset
  • rubbadubdub
    Free Member

Hey all,
    been riding for a while, but never read much into the technical side of things. Both front, and rear set of teeth are now rounded off nice and smooth so i can't put any pressure on the pedals. Its come to changing my chainset, but got a bit lost by all the variables.

Could anybody please advise what I would need to look for in terms of finding a new replacement.

Sorry for the muddy pic. Cheers in advance for all the help.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Looks like there is some writing on the back of the non drive side crank arm.

andrewh
    Free Member

To get the size for a replacement measure the BCD (Bolt-circle diamter), this is the distance, usually in mm between the centre of one and the centre of the bolt directly opposite, on a 4-bolt chainset. On your 5 bolt it is the centre of the imaginary bolt directly opposite, if that makes sense. Then count the teeth and order one that matches, the description will be something like '39t, 5 bolt, 110BCD'.

I have found with road bikes 8/9/10 speed to be interchangable so don't worry about that, I have a 10 speed KMC chain running on an 8 speed Sora little ring and a 9 Speed Stonglight big ring.

kaiser
    Free Member

you'll need to replace cassette (rear sprockets) chain and chainset(front ring setup) otherwise it's a false economy. Bit pissed now but mail me for help/advice if you need it (see profile)
    Bill in devon

handyman153
    Free Member

Hi,
    Just going on what it looks like –
    It looks like a square taper crankset, and if you had it standard from new, then i would imagine it has a 39/53. And it has 130BCD arms.
    You could either buy a whole new crankset for around £40 (for decent enough quality) or new chain rings and swap them over. (Could end up costing more)

Then pretty much the same as Kaiser said. If you change 1 part of the drive you might as well change them all, other wise it just cancels out. Also by the look of the picture the jockey wheels could do with a replace as well.

Anyway think that's pretty much everything, send me an email as well if you want any help with parts. My addy is in profile.

Hope that helps
    Josh…

rubbadubdub
    Free Member

Cheers for all the help. Just managed to do it today, and took it for a test drive. Feels good to not be using squishy chunky tyres on the road! 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Identify a chainset’ is closed to new replies.