Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Ideas/what I can do for fund raising?
  • hora
    Free Member

Our lads Beavers/Cubs hut needs money for works/an extension. Ideas on an event or challenge that I could do to raise a decent wedge towards it?

ElShalimo

A gigilo-athlon?

hora
    Free Member

I need to raise money not lose it

Bregante

Something involving bikes?

100 mile ride (Manchester 100 in Sept),

Coast 2 Coast

Non Bike

Take a load of beavers to that big Tesco and get them packing bags on the checkouts

cloudnine
    Free Member

Charity / favours auction always seem to do quite well.
    Well worded begging letter to organisations that raise money and dish it out to local charities and worthy causess (the round table are one of my local ones that I can think of).
    Lottery grant application.
    Get in the local paper with them and get your cause known. set up a just giving account…. Someone might feel generous

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Packing shopping at the supermarket – people will pay them not to do it 😉

hora
    Free Member

OK bike ride and till packing. I’ll thoroughly hound and rinse you lot for $$ 😀

Any bike rides before Sept?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Do every descent in the Peaks with a wardrobe strapped to your back.

Bregante

Ride to the sun in June. (100 mile bike ride). I was hoping to do it but the knee may not have recovered.

it’s at night

MoreCashThanDash

Just you or the kids as well?

Bag packing, car wash. Sponsored hike or bike ride.

Our Scout troop are doing a pentathlon for Cancer Research in two weeks time – one of the lads has been battling it for the last few months. 500m swim, 15k bike ride, 5k run, 1 hour of fencing and then 5 rounds of biathlon style running/ shooting. Amazing feat of logistics by the leaders, and really tough for the kids, especially the younger ones.

#prayfordecentweather

hora
    Free Member

Bregante the issue there is how do you get home? You’d need a willing driver

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I assume you mean ride to the sun? You may be surprised to know that Edinburgh has a railway station….

angeldust
    Free Member

Sponsored silence/keyboard ban? Sure that would have some takers.

alanf
    Free Member

Community litter pick – get the beavers involved.
    Get some sponsorship for cleaning an area benefiting both the beavers and the wider community.
    If it’s owt like round here, there’ll be plenty to go at!

b1galus
    Free Member

why not do a sponsored clean up of a local beauty spot or river , something which benefits the wider community . Bob -a-job week used to be our big fundraising event which sadly doesn’t happen any more i don’t think

geoffj

The most profitable (return on time spent) event I’ve ever been involved with was a race night.

http://www.better-fundraising-ideas.com/how-to-fundraise-race-night.html

Chuck a bar into the mix with 100% markup on cheap supermarket bottles.

hooli

I would say something where the kids take part, you are more likely to get sponsorship for a kid doing an event than an adult. Especially as you can sign up most of the beavers/cubs and they can rinse their parents, relatives and friends.

Also look into local grants, you would be surprised how much is available. Google “find me a grant”, there are a few ways to get them. You can also register a cause so when people shop, the charity get a small percentage of each order.

jkomo

Our village organises a fun run type thing, ‘the four farms challenge ‘ and in the passed has organised walks etc.
    The whole village (with kids anyway) tends to support, beers and bbq after.

Edit- a mate organises the run, I’m sure he’d be happy to talk about the detail- insurance (if any) etc.

bikebouy
    Free Member

NCN72 coast to coast with me next week?

perchypanther
    Free Member

@Hora, Are there any housing association / local authority houses being built or refurbished in your area at the moment?

It’s quite often a condition of tendering / awarding social housing work that the successful contractor has to provide some form of “community benefit” as part of the deal.
    There’s probably a project manager sitting on a building site scratching his head trying to think of some local good cause that he can throw a bit of labour and material at to tick that box and get his picture in the local paper with a bunch of Beavers in hard hats , holding paint brushes.
    Good publicity for the contractor, the housing association or local authority and a freeebie for the good cause.

Always worth sticking your head into a site office and asking.

maccruiskeen

Sponsored silence/keyboard ban? Sure that would have some takers.

A sponsored bath in your STW word-count in alphabetti spaghetti.

MoreCashThanDash

Forgot about grants!

Have a word with the local parish and district councils. They have a set amount of funding to dispense, especially for things like repairs with a long term benefit.

We’ve had approaches from both district and parish councils this year already, waiting to hear.

monksie
    Free Member

“Are there any rides before Sept?”
    Depends if you do one! Not being an arse but I organised my own single day ride from London Olympic Park to Manchester Velodrome for St. Ann’s Hospice and I raised almost £1500. I reckon about £1200 of it was from the very lovely people on here.
    Go on, DO something. Go on.

hora
    Free Member

Monksie if I make just! 1k for them that’d make me happy – what route did you take, how long did it take? and logistics? Did you train it there/stay the night at the start?

monksie
    Free Member

East London, Leicester, Derby, Buxton, Manchester. Lots of places in between but I’ve buried them in the back of my mind. It was a death march :-).
    Huge thanks as ever to the forum reprobates who came out on the day at different points to take the piss help out and of course, everybody who donated.
    I’ve just googled Cubs HQ to Longford Park. 215 miles. Mine was 224. Took 14’ish hours. Got the train there the day before. Dumped the clothes I travelled down in. Rode back. Met a load of people waiting for me with flags and banners at the Velodrome, got a lift home with my wife. Easy! (as if).
    Nobody is going to give you much money if it’s easy.
    Do something, Go on.
    Manchester to Sheffield on road and ride back off road. No logistics to worry about. I’ve done that as well.
    Ride a daft bike doing laps of Longford Park. No stopping allowed..10p per lap. Each Sponsor has to commit to paying 10p each per lap, regardless of how many you do. 100 laps is a tenner. 100 sponsors….boom! Job done (how big is Longford Park?)

mrsfry
    Free Member

Body waxing. Seems people like ripping was strips off hairy people so get your thong on and ‘Man Up’

Body hair plucking. Another fun pastime that strangers can have with your body. Stand around in your best thong and let strangers rip hairs from various parts of you with a pair of tweezers.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Ideas/what I can do for fund raising?’ is closed to new replies.