Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Ideas, taking the bosses kids mountain biking, what skills shall I show them?
  • ks562
    Free Member

So I’m going out with my bosses two lads who got mountain bikes for Christmas. Going to a local blue graded trail and they’d like some skills pointers. Any ideas? Ages are 12 and 9 and they are enthusiastic! Was thinking some basics on body position and braking? Any ideas?

br
    Free Member

Make sure you’ve a first aid kit, they are wearing gloves and their bikes are in good nick and fit them properly/adjusted.

Then maybe session something interesting.

Also, take snacks/drinks.

ahwiles
    Free Member

1) don’t over-load them, it’s meant to be fun

2) they’re kids, they’ll figure out most things by themselves without realising it.

3) front wheel lifts are about the most useful single skill ever.

4) ask them to teach you how to wheelie.

scaredypants

No idea, but ask for a payrise before you go 😀

RobHilton
    Free Member

Cornering, riding smoothly and skids :mrgreen:

Do you have good technique/an ability to teach?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Show them your rad skilzzzz… 8)

matt_outandabout

Braking, gears, corners. Everything else they will work out. Get a wee ride around carpark/start to spot their level and skills. Keep it fun.

ndthornton
    Free Member

superman backflip

jambalaya
    Free Member

4) ask them to teach you how to wheelie.

Excellent

Don’t overload them. Just have fun. Perhaps show them how to be “active on the bike”, ie standing and being “active” with arms and legs and body position, I used to compare it to being as football goalie about to save a penalty. Also like @Rob says they will watch you, skids are fun !

yunki
    Free Member

Get them standing around in the car park scratching their chins and offering opinions on wheel sizes , tyre choice and 1×10..
    Then take them for cake and coffee and mock each others clothes for a bit.. Talk about politics, religion and your relationship problems and maybe argue about whether beer or lager is better

Job done.. The full mountain bike experience without ever having to get the bikes off the roof rack 🙂

ks562
    Free Member

Quick replies guys this is great!

First aid kit is a must (always have one in my bag and I know how to use it) good shout on the treats/snacks and a check over of their bikes.

Teaching/skill wise, I like to think I have good/reasonable technique (had a fair few coaching sessions) and I’ve taught a few of my girl mates on the same track to encourage them to start riding.

Just wanted a couple of ideas really to make sure it’s fun for them. Probably just have a nice potter up the climb and find a fun section with a couple of corners on the descent. Apparently they are pretty fearless but go over the handlebars a fair bit!

jekkyl

not to grab the front brake when they panic.

rOcKeTdOg

hope your public liability insurance is up to date, your MTB leader certificate is in place, first aid course passed you’ve been DBS checked etc 😉

taking you bosses kids out on a potentially injury filled “training” ride, are you mad?

Get them standing around in the car park scratching their chins and offering opinions on wheel sizes , tyre choice and 1×10..
    Then take them for cake and coffee and mock each others clothes for a bit.. Talk about politics, religion and your relationship problems and maybe argue about whether beer or lager is better

Job done.. The full mountain bike experience without ever having to get the bikes off the roof rack
    😆

hammyuk
    Free Member

Best thing I did with mine was to go “Euro” with the brakes.
    Both RH’ders so used to grab that side brake.
    Now its just lots of SKIDZZZZZ

bartimaeus
    Free Member

Ready position – basis for pretty much everything else (head up, ‘eels low, heavy feet/light hands)
    Weight shift forward-backward and leaning side to side
    Braking (from Ready position with weight shift back)
    Cornering leaning the bike (from Ready position and leaning – focus on pushing inside hand down)
    Manual front wheel lift (from Ready position with weight shift back… push bars not pull)… all kids want to bump kerbs
    Basic jump (like the Manual front wheel lift, but just a small push on the bars)… every kid wants to jump

You can’t do all of this, but I do it in this order as one skill links to another, and all use the Ready position… a lot of kids don’t immediately get that if you aren’t pedalling you want to be in the Ready position, and that the Ready position is what makes you ready to do stuff.

I’m no great shakes as a rider, but I do take lots of kids riding. The BC coaching stuff is good, but it helps to link the skills together.

peakyblinder
    Free Member

It’s pretty mad this. When I was darting about on a bmx at that age, the idea of an adult teaching me anything about riding it would be unthinkable.

Teach them how pedals, gears and brakes work and they’ll likely figure the rest out themselves.

Jezkidd
    Free Member

Where to look (I.e.), not at your front wheels, or that tree

matt_outandabout

Best thing I did with mine was to go “Euro” with the brakes.

😯

As a teaching technique, that ups the penalty for failure further down the line.

😯

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Yeah as some others have hinted at id just go mountain biking with them no?

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Teach them how pedals, gears and brakes work and they’ll likely figure the rest out themselves.

This.

If this is their first bike with gears then start with gear choice.

Once they’ve sorted that out you can move on to “attack positions”, cornering, bunnyhops and pumping I reckon.

Maybe a bit of trail side repair practice too?

warns74
    Free Member

You wont have time to teach them anything, probably best to just focus on trying to keep up! 😀

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Ideas, taking the bosses kids mountain biking, what skills shall I show them?’ is closed to new replies.