Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • ideas pls – cloakroom half tiled in black
  • towzer

Hi

the re-decorating continues, anyway cloakroom(wc and sink, small) has black tiles halfway up (and even I as a bloke think that’s a bit cack, if irritatingly well done), any great ideas other than stripping down, which will require removal of all ‘white’ furniture, replastering etc …….

bamboo
    Free Member

You could paint the tiles. I have no idea how well this works in practice though.

kayak23

Sounds like it could be fairly nice, unless they’re cheapo tiles.
    Got any pics?

towzer

it’s pretty good quality and well executed, however, it’s a small room with a small window on the ‘dark’ side of the house and she who must be obeyed has decreed that it’s time has come, perversley, for some feminine logical reason that eludes me she doesn’t want to take the wc stuff out and strip it down/replaster (possibly as even she has had enough of decorating as we’ve done front/rear gardens, 2 bogs, 3 bedrooms and a living room and the hall still to be done..)

or in short – even I don’t think it’s quite nice

joshvegas
    Free Member

Just put a whit tile over every second black one. Checkered raised tiling hot in 2015

joshvegas
    Free Member

Just put a whit tile over every second black one. Checkered raised tiling hot in 2015

northernmatt

If you strip the tiles off you can always replace them with something a bit lighter if the wall behind is in good nick. That’ll save you having to get anything replastered and can be done with all the china still in providing you don’t damage it when you take the old tiles off.

br
    Free Member

If you strip the tiles off you can always replace them with something a bit lighter if the wall behind is in good nick. That’ll save you having to get anything replastered and can be done with all the china still in providing you don’t damage it when you take the old tiles off.

Aye, and Father Christmas exists…

Just paint them for now, or use a sticker/vinyl to lighten up.

brassneck

You could paint the tiles. I have no idea how well this works in practice though.

Pretty much shit in all cases I’ve seen or attempted I’m afraid. I’ve always ended up knocking them off and re-tiling sooner or later, might as well bite the bullet.

cranberry
    Free Member

You could do what the cowboys who renovated my place, before I bought it, did:

just glue new tiles over the top of the old ones.

😯

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I’ve used tile paint and it’s worked really well. They were in the kitchen, and the paint survived being wiped down. I can’t remember exactly what the tiles were, but I think something like a matt brown pattern, so not sure how well the paint would work if used on glossy tiles.

unovolo
    Free Member

Another option would be a bit of Tongue & Groove Panelling either over the top with a nice trim on top , or knock the tiles off and panelling straight to the wall, finished in a bit of eggshell.

A bit like this

slackalice
    Free Member

^^^ Wainscote.

With bead and butt TGV boards, nice and best suggestion so far.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

You could do what the cowboys who renovated my place, before I bought it, did:

just glue new tiles over the top of the old ones.

Tile over tile is an acceptable practice as long as the originals are stuck on well in the 1st place. Only cowboy territory if done badly or planned badly. Ie. I’d not over tile half height as you’ll see 2 thickness on the top edge.

You might get lucky and find it was painted before tiling, that way they should come off fairly easy, even on plasterboard. Stick a thin blade down the back and give it a little pull, if you see movement it might be your lucky day. Any remaining tile adhesive can be scraped off after using a wall paper stripper to soften 1st. Prep and paint, job jobbed.

The cladding idea works well, but would need the sanitary ware removed to make a decent job of it IMO.

aP
    Free Member

Why not create a frame for the window reveal which then covers, say, 75% of the window wall, which you can make from timber board and paint in a light colour. It’ll brighten the room and give it a new feel. As it’s timber you can cut around the existing wc fittings, with a lipped edge.

martinhutch

Just finish the job properly for the Harry Potter Ministry of Magic look.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘ideas pls – cloakroom half tiled in black’ is closed to new replies.