Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Ideas for waterproofing winter cycling boots cuff
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

I have a pair of Lake MXZ303 boots and they’re great, very warm and comfortable. The only issue I have with them is the same one that’s present on every other cycling boot, water runs down your leg and into the boot.

So after a 20 mile ride to work in pissing rain yesterday morning I had the same again today but before I left I cut the wrist end off a pair of latex gloves, put it over my leg then over the cuff of the boot, so it seals the big gaping hole.

Only issue is that the cuff I made is a bit short and it’s also not very durable, will probably do on the ride home and that’s it.

So I need something more permanent that will seal the gap between leg and boot. Neoprene won’t really work as it just soaks so needs to be something thin, like latex gloves but far more durable.

Margolds are a possibility but wrist opening looks a bit wide on the pair we have at home.

PS: I have mudguards but doesn’t stop your feet getting wet from rain, I’m not wearing over trousers.

Any ideas?

Edit: just found these and look like they might work

RoterStern
    Free Member

MrSmith
    Free Member

cut the wrist of a black rubber glove

Gary_M
    Free Member

Thanks, but I’m not convinced something like that will provide a tight enough seal round my leg. Plus the boots are quite high anyway so they would probably sit below the cuff.

Gaitors of any sort won’t really work as there isn’t a proper seal between cuff and leg.

cut the wrist of a black rubber glove

As in margolds, as above I don’t think the wrist is a tight fit on them like it is on latex gloves.

rOcKeTdOg

gaffer tape. has the added bonus of exfoliating your lower leg too

submarined
    Free Member

I moved the issue and added another layer… Sealskinz socks, with water repellant tights over the top. Water gets in the shoe, but not the sock 🙂

matt_outandabout

Gaitors of any sort won’t really work as there isn’t a proper seal between cuff and leg.

No, nothing will..

Gary_M
    Free Member

No, nothing will..

Well the cuff of the latex gloves did a good job of sealing this morning so something like that but longer, so this may be worth a punt.

avdave2

With the heavy duty black marigolds it’s the existing opening that goes over the boot and the narrower bit you’ve cut that forms the seal. They work for me and if you’ve got more pipe cleanery legs than me I’ll be surprised.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Ah excellent, I’ll give them a go then. Do they work well?

TiRed

XL Velotoze. Although black marigolds will be a better value choice

Gary_M
    Free Member

They might be worth a look though and only £11. I’d be chopping the foot section off though.

johnhighfield
    Free Member

I’ve been using black industrial rubber gloves for several years – with the hand cut off & worn with the cut side uppermost snug on my leg & the wider part over the neoprene cuff of my boots. It’s a bit hit & miss getting a pair that fit well but they are pretty cheap on eBay. I even have a pair that were long armed ones & wear them for very
    muddy off-road rides as they come up to just below my knees.

Mat

I use dry suit cuff seals, see pics and links in this Thread

Can get a bit sweaty but keeps the worst out

Gary_M
    Free Member

That’s what I was thinking Mat, how have the fared over the last 3 years? Might give the marigolds a go first.

Mat

Yeah they’ve been pretty good, I only put them on if I anticipate particularly wet or boggy conditions as they do make my boots that bit sweatier – still better than being filled with cold rain water though. Worst aspect is the abuse I get from my wife about them though

kiwifiz
    Free Member

dry suit ankle cuffs

Best £7.00 you’ll spend for winter riding. Stretch down over back of heel of shoe and stretch front edge over top of shoe and lock in with top lace/strap…..just don’t plan to walk to much once you’re “sealed in” as it’ll wear the rubber over back of heel. No water ingress as long as its a relatively waterproof shoe. Bit tight around the shin but eventually stretches out bit.Worth it for completely dry feet!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yep, that’s the next option after the marigolds. I think I mentioned them in my first post 🙂

submarined
    Free Member

Cheers for the dry suit cuffs tip off people! Duly ordered!

mattsccm
    Free Member

Bet you are all teenagers or mountain bikers spending money like that. Pop into your local motorcycle shop and scrounge an knackered inner tube. Skinny legs need 2.75 x 21. Hoy would want a 5.00×18. Cut a decent length for each leg. Much stronger than poncy marigolds or the hipsters black version. They will seal any gap. If you want trendy find some old Barum red tubes. The best fit will work better when warmed up before fitting.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Bet you are all teenagers or mountain bikers spending money like that.

You’re wrong there, 50, mostly road riding and commuting so you lose your bet, spending £8.10 on three pairs of marigolds doesn’t phase me.

I have no idea where my nearest motorbike shop is, nor do I want to go on the scrounge.

funkweasel
    Free Member

Go for some silicone drysuit wrist seals.

Gary_M
    Free Member

That’s a good idea 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Ideas for waterproofing winter cycling boots cuff’ is closed to new replies.