Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Ideas for walking trip in Bavaria / Garmisch
  • santacruzsi
    Free Member

Evening all

Planning a few days walking in Bavaria in May. This is for my mates stag do. A few days walking, relatively low level / moderate to cater for various levels with some nice hut lunch stops and being able to return to the area where we set off.
    I am looking at Garmisch , as it handy to get to from Munich. Will get down there on the Wednesday lunch and return on the Friday afternoon to Munich So we can have a few shandies.

I’m think around Eibsee but happy for ideas / suggestions.

Thanks

onlysteel
    Free Member

Have a look at the Bavarian Alps walking guide from Cicerone and the appropriate Kompass map. The Map Shop at Upton upon Severn should have the latter. We’re off there in July, with a 2nd week in Berchtesgaden, so I’ll be interested in recommendations too!
    If it’s low level walking you are after we’ve crossed the Austrian border from Leutasch through the gorge beyond Mittenwald, which was spectacular. Also a nice little town in itself. There is a further gorge walk out of Garmisch too, called the Partnachklamm which I’d be keen to have a walk thru come the summer.

alpin
    Free Member

Maximilians Weg…. Or at least part of it. Easy to follow without a map (although you’d probably do well to take one any way). Goes from Lake Constance to Königssee.

Goes through Garmisch-Partenkirchen and the Tegernsee region, both of which are very nice. Brilliant Bier hall in Tegernsee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximiliansweg?wprov=sfla1

There is a Kompass heft for it too, although probably only in German.

ninfan
    Free Member

I believe there’s some good walking trails around the old IGB/Grenze in Bavaria – lots of history etc. too, obviously.

alpin
    Free Member

Sorry, are you looking to do a point to point trip or do day tours using just one hut as a base?

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Sorry, just using one place as a base – not booked yet… either Garmisch or grainau.

Will be staying in one place and should have a car to get around a little.

The huts to stop at en route are for lunch etc.

Something for the Wednesday afternoon – maybe a wander around Eibsee.
    Full day Thursday
    Friday morning before heading up to Munich.

Cheers

slowoldman

If there is a shred of culture in your party visit Richard Strauss’s home in Garmisch.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Area around Garmisch-P is nice, did a few holidays with NATO friends in the American military R&R facilities (slightly odd to have beers/pizzas and use $ on a German mountain). The Neuschwanstein (“Chitty Chitty Bang Bang castle) is worth the drive imo, interesting back story.

We also stayed at Chimesee (ex SS facility !) which I imagine would be nice in summer, not sure how far that is from Garmisch.

ElShalimo

I spent a week in Mittenwald in 2014 and 4 days in Garmisch last summer plus 4 more in Ehrwald. Did lots of walking and some klettersteig
    It’s a wonderful area.
    Email in profile if you want route suggestions or photos

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Like Jambalaya, I stayed at the American hotel in Garmisch in the 90s stunning scenery and far warmer than you would expect in the summer. I recall taking a cable car up a mountain and walking down which was not too strenuous and the start/finish was within walking distance of the town.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses folks.

Yes spent a bit of time there years ago and like others stayed on the American base…pizzas, steak all at USD prices! When then exchange rate was worth it!

Difficult to get into after 9/11.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Ideas for walking trip in Bavaria / Garmisch’ is closed to new replies.