Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Ideas for off-road route in Lancs?
  • dribbling
    Free Member

Basically, some lass at an office I’m working out of (Bolton) at the moment has a 4 years girl who’s very ill, got to get treatment in America etc etc.. I’m going to arrange a bike ride for Feb time, getting as many people to attend as is feasable.

To that end, it needs to be logistically viable for people to get involved – my initial thought of Leeds/Liverpool canal (which I’ve done previouslty) has a lot going or it, no cars, do-able with moderate levels of fitness in a day etc, but it’s a pain for people that are based in Bolton to get there and back – especially as it’ll be an early start and late finish.

I’ve had a peek at Sustrans – seems that route 91/55 makes a half decent circular, but mostly roads and I REALLY want to avoid that for obvious reasons.

Any suggestions of what could be done off-road; around Feb time?

It must be:

1. Mostly Off Road
    2. Do-able in a day (say 10 hours)
    3. Challenging but achievable for average Joe (me included!)
    4. A relatively circular route
    5. Within 20 miles of Bolton..ish.

I don’t know much around these parts, so any suggestions very gratefully received (and if you want to join in you’re welcome!)

Junkyard
    Free Member

Penine Bridleway but you would need good weather
    Three towers ?
    Rivvy, darwen and Peel? – do able from Bolton as well

Got routes of both of these and would be happy to ride with you

They are both circa 40-50 miles off road but circular

globalti
    Free Member

The Mary Towneley Loop is the big tough ride around here. It’s a big day out, in fact at this time of the year I reckon a lot of slower riders would run out of daylight. But it’s intersected by several roads so you could just do parts of it.

Read about it here: http://www.idonohoe.com/mountian_bike9.htm

geordiemick00
    Free Member

MTL is a serious challenge!

plumber
    Free Member

Theres a bridleway that runs from the back of Chipping up to lancaster that I’ve contemplated a few times as a 2 day ride.

That looks properly hard to me

higgo
    Free Member

Junky and globalti – I may be wrong but I think your suggestions are a bit hardcore.

Reading Dribbling’s OP, I think he’s planning to get everyone in his office to drag that rusty old hybrid out of the back of the shed and do something to raise some cash.

MTL (or similar) in Feb could ruin more lives than it improves in that case.

dribbling
    Free Member

Thanks all so far – MTL is definitely too hardcore; want something that people will WANT to do!

Junky – thanks do you have any more information on these routes? Can you e-mail me any details you have on these routes (or is in on old-fashioned paper?)

It is true that I’m expecting people to join that may be dragging bikes out that are rarely used, BUT I will be making clear that bikes and riders need to be of x ability and condition in order to attend, setting out kit that needs to be brought etc.

higgo
    Free Member

How about a canal loop?

Is the South Pennine Loop too far at 74miles?

At least everyone would start/finish in the same place.

ourmaninthenorth

Do it on the road + some off road. How about a big ride out to the coast at Southport (using the Lancs Cycleway) then back along the TPT before hooking up with the LL canal and some more lanes back to Bolton?

dribbling
    Free Member

A canal loop is ideal.

74 miles could be fine, dependant on ability – if a person of average fitness with a couple of months of training (defined only by common sense & weekly rides), then that’s the benchmark.

Is this it? http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/penninebridleway/sites.asp?PageId=30

Not adverse to little bits of road as intersections, but really want to avoid where possible.

higgo
    Free Member

Sorry, I meant to include a link: http://www.ukcanals.net/cruising-rings/639-south-pennine-ring

It’s all canal path – the loop is designed for boats that don’t cope well with roads.

Might be worth a recce to ensure the towpaths are OK for enough of the route.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I meant the MTL when I said Penine Bridleway

If they are unfit would rivvy to darwen tower and back not be ok?
    Failing that I think the canal is excellent for unfit as it is flat so it will hurt but never require some wattage outout they dont have to get up some steep hills

Nothing local ish to Bolton that is circular though and all off road

I do have links and stuff but at home will be Tuesday/weds before i can do anything

justme
    Free Member

What about rivvy to peel tower n back – can be done as a fairly achievable mix of on and off road also as a circular ish route with a little thought

justme
    Free Member

not convinced 74 miles even if it is on a canal would be suitable – that distance in poss bad conditions on a muddy canal would be to much for the people your looking to attract

dribbling
    Free Member

for the people your looking to attract

Thanks, but not setting the bar too low and opening up to “anyone” – whatever route is decided, it will be clear that only people that feel capable of completing should participate and if they wish to attain improved fitness, we can arrange training rides.

I don’t think 74 miles on a canal is unreasonable, even in wind, rain & slop – it’s got to be a challenge, but that MTL thing just looked horrific!

Looked at British Waterways, sems sections are not cyclable so would have to take a reccy & tweak as suggested.

Will google the other river routes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Ideas for off-road route in Lancs?’ is closed to new replies.