Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Ideas for an event to train for this year
  • IHN

Over the last few years I’ve done 100 milers at RideLondon in 2015 and 2016 and VeloBrum in 2017, and I’ve enjoyed having a ‘thing’ to have as a focus for my incredibly mediocre talents.

I’m wondering what to do this year. I know there a million different sportives around but I have a slight issue paying to ride on roads that I could ride on anyway; RideLondon and VeloBVrum are closed road so are worth (IMO) paying for.

I’ve seen Velothon Wales, which again is closed road and tempting, any other ideas? no reason why it has to be road, a gnobbly tyred event would be fine too (but not gravel, as I don’t have the bike, and not enduro, cos I don’t have the bottle).

whitestone
    Free Member

Etape Caledonia?

Does it have to be an organised event or would one of the shorter ITTs be suitable? I.e. just turn up and do a big ride.

lunge

Rapha Manchester to London? 220 miles, big day out and a really good route.

IHN

I’ll have a look at Etape Caledonia

I do quite like the feel/atmosphere of an organised event

whitestone
    Free Member

Fair enough. Is Velothon Wales what used to be Etape Cymru on the roads around Llangollen?

Apart from the ones you mention I can’t think of any other “closed roads” events.

Edit: Just remembered one! The Tour de Yorkshire has an associated sportive

fatmax

http://www.ridetothesun.co.uk
    Carlisle to Cramond beach (Edinburgh) on the weekend nearest the summer solstice (23rd June this year), FREE to enter, 100.5 miles, with the aim to get to the beach for sunrise at 4.30am. Chip shop in Moffat stays open until 1am to feed everyone, ‘cyclorave’ at the Crook Inn, and hot rolls and drinks served at the end in the local Kirk Hall.
    http://www.ridetothesun.co.uk/uploads/feedback-2017.pdf

flange
    Free Member

Cheshire Cat?

I’m currently down to do the 117 mile route in March and I’m bricking it. not bricking it enough to sit on the turbo for hours at a time, obvs..

jimdubleyou

Dorset Gravel Dash 100.

I’m doing the 50:50 again, but you can do the whole thing in a oner if you’re mad-keen.

nedrapier

Battle on the Beach will get you out while it’s miserable between now and April, entries probably still available if you do it now.

A SDW ride? Free, after travel and food.

There’s the Bear Bones winter bivi ride next weekend if you’re after something a bit more… immediate? You can probably start tapering for that now!

IHN

I like the look of the Ride to the Sun, I’d have to have a think about the logistics.

Gravel Dash looks good too (50/50), but I’m away when it’s on.

I’ve often though about a SDW attempt, but again the logistics look like a ball-ache.

scaled
    Free Member

I’m currently down to do the 117 mile route in March and I’m bricking it. not bricking it enough to sit on the turbo for hours at a time, obvs..

Mow cop is a bastard, enjoy 😀

nedrapier

where do you live, IHN?

there’s the South Lakes 100, organised by postierich off here. Similar to the Gravel Dash, but rockier, northerlyer and climbier. Bivi wherever you like, 50/50 or 60/40. Or 30/20! 😀

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

IHN – Member
    I like the look of the Ride to the Sun

don’t forget the Dunwich Dynamo

molgrips
    Free Member

Is Velothon Wales what used to be Etape Cymru on the roads around Llangollen?

Nope.

silverpigeon
    Free Member

Manx End To End challenge which is September. Or come over for the cycling festival weekend 21/22 April and ride the 80 mile gran Fondo which includes the TT course. If you’re feeling hard you could do the MTB course one day and the Gran Fondo the next. Bloody great weekend last year

IHN

where do you live, IHN?

On the mean streets of Cirencester, Capital of the Cotswolds.

IHN

don’t forget the Dunwich Dynamo

Hmmm… Interesting. Anyone know if I can park a campervan overnight at the Surrey Quays shopping centre that the return coach drops off at?

weeksy

SDW is a good shout.

Saccades
    Free Member

One I use is the Wicklow 200 (km), lots of climbing so have to get out on the bike.

davee128
    Free Member

South Downs Way ride is well worth the hassle on logistics IMHO. It’s a fantastic experience and a significant challenge to drive your training.

Train to/from Winchester and Eastbourne is one option. Both stations easily rideable from start/end. The Premier Inn in Winchester was helpful regarding bike storage and an early start when I did it in 2016. There are plenty of other accommodation options that are bike friendly near the route I believe if you are doing it across a few days (the views are worth the time to enjoy them.)

It isn’t technical but it is steep and the views are fantastic most of the way. Some day I’d love to be able to do it with my kids. I’ll probably be a bit old by then though!

toofarwest

Are you looking for a single or multi day event?

The Crossing

salad_dodger
    redstripe
    Free Member

Pint to Pint race at http://www.bigbikebash.org.uk event

richpips
    Free Member

I like the look of the Ride to the Sun

We did it last year, a great ride. For logistics, consider riding both ways, that’s what we did.

cobrakai

British heart foundation SDW in a day is good. I know it can be done on your own but they way Mark the route clearly so you’re not map checking all the time, good atmosphere and a pint and a massage at the end!

I’ve signed up again for this year.

blueflamespecial
    Free Member

I like the look of that Dunwich Dynamo. Would force me to get out on the road bike more and address my non existent skinny wheels cornering skills.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Welcome

Granted not free, but cheap.

Oblongbob

Bit if a trek for you, but maybe the Tour of the Highlands? Just over 300 mile loop in 3 days, starting from Glencoe with stops at Pitlochry and Aviemore. Great 3 days, especially if the weather is decent. Maybe epic enough to be worth the trip. You can also opt for the 3 Pistes, which is the middle day of the TOTH. I did the TOTH last year and loved it, and did the 3 Pistes the year before, which was also good.

IHN

More good ideas, cheers.

Pint to Pint race at http://www.bigbikebash.org.uk event

Dunnit. I’m not man enough to do it twice.

Bit if a trek for you, but maybe the Tour of the Highlands?

Epic indeed. Looks amazing, but I’m away that week

Ditto

TiRed

Super Randonneur Audax series. You’ve ridden Ride London, other closed road sportives are available, smaller and hillier. But finishing a 600 will be a big marker in your riding.

marcus
    Free Member

IHN – How about that Newcaste to London thing

mike_p
    Free Member

Thumbs up for the Velothon Wales. It’s not especially long (140+Km) or hard (only two meaningful climbs, they’re good though), but being city centre based it has a real sense of occasion about it and the opening 2hrs are ferociously quick, if you can hold a wheel.

If you want something harder the Dragon Ride GF is a brutal day out, or even the 300Km Dragon Devil if you are mentally ill.

Also London Revolution is a 2 day ride around and about the capital, which sounds interesting.

freeagent
    Free Member

How about a multi-day event?

I’m riding London to Amsterdam unsupported at the end of May – 290ish miles in 3.5 days.
    Its a charity thing, put together by myself and a couple of friends in memory of my brother who died in 2013.
    We did London to Llanberis in 2014, and London to Paris last year.
    Multiday events are a different animal to one day rides, and much more fun.

IHN

Super Randonneur Audax series.

Hmm, interesting. And even if not as the thing, certainly as training for it.

Thumbs up for the Velothon Wales. It’s not especially long (140+Km) or hard (only two meaningful climbs, they’re good though), but being city centre based it has a real sense of occasion about it

Yeah, that’s what appeals, similarly to RideLondon and VeloBrum

lso London Revolution is a 2 day ride around and about the capital, which sounds interesting.

It does, and I’d seen that, but again I’m away.

How about that Newcaste to London thing

Good point, I’ll have a look.

peekay

London (or wherever you currently are) to Paris is a great weekend out.

We did it last year, leaving Surrey at about 1600 on Friday for a 40ish mile ride down to Newhaven with a couple of pints and a chippy stop on the coast.

2230 ferry, arriving at about 0500ish in Dieppe, then a pleasant 135mile ride on quiet roads through the French countryside to Paris following the Donald Hirsch route. Dinner and a few drinks in Paris then a night in a decent bike friendly hostel.

Eurostar back the following day after soendign the morning bimbling along the river.

Self organised and only cost us around £100pp for ferry, train and hostel with no time off work required.

There were plenty of people on the ferry doing the same.

downhillfast
    Free Member

The Dirty Reiver? 130/200kms off road around Kielder Forest.
    Last year there were as many MTB’S as “Gravel” bikes on the event.
    Good atmosphere, loads of food, well organized.

freeagent
    Free Member

London (or wherever you currently are) to Paris is a great weekend out.

We did it last year, leaving Surrey at about 1600 on Friday for a 40ish mile ride down to Newhaven with a couple of pints and a chippy stop on the coast.

2230 ferry, arriving at about 0500ish in Dieppe, then a pleasant 135mile ride on quiet roads through the French countryside to Paris following the Donald Hirsch route. Dinner and a few drinks in Paris then a night in a decent bike friendly hostel.

Eurostar back the following day after soendign the morning bimbling along the river.

Self organised and only cost us around £100pp for ferry, train and hostel with no time off work required.

There were plenty of people on the ferry doing the same.

Yep, we also followed the Donald Hirsch route, but took 3.5 days to ride from Greenwich to Paris.
    The route through France is great, but there are a couple of hills on this route which less able cyclists will find challenging, especially if you are carrying kit.
    I’d do it again though – loved it.

Again, we did it pretty cheaply, staying in Travelodge/Campanile hotels.

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve seen Velothon Wales, which again is closed road and tempting

I did it last year. Nice route, two famous climbs, and less crazy than Ride London, with a better standard of riding.

If you fancy audaxing (which is way better than open road sportives IMO), the Windrush event and Heart of England 300 are both in your neck of the woods. Also check out the LVIS series from Bristol – I’ve just entered the 200km event at the end of March. Hopefully they’ll run their 300km event again in September.

Garry_Lager

Ballot for the Fred Whitton opened today if that’s not been mentioned. Exceptional event.

Tiger6791

Exceptional event.

Agreed

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Ideas for an event to train for this year’ is closed to new replies.