Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Ideas for a send off for my beloved pooch?
  • Bagstard
    Free Member

On Thursday we had to have our lovely dog put to sleep, she was a beautiful, gentle soul and we are missing her terribly. Originally I planned to climb the hill of one of her favourite walks and send off a Chinese lantern, but since reading they can cause death or injury to animals that is out of the window.

Has anyone done anything similar? She was part of my family longer than our children have been alive I think it would really help my wife to have some kind of send off.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that Bagstard. i hope you and your family are holding up.

Why not do the walk as planned and instead of the lantern why not light a candle instead? just spend a moment thinking about your dog and the times shared on the hill. maybe you could each take a moment to recant and share a special memory you will remember her by. then let the candle blow out symbolising the passing.

i will raise a glass in her honor this evening

nickjb
    Free Member

Is there a stream or river? Make a little boat from sticks/reeds/grass and set that off

Bagstard
    Free Member

Thanks for that 4310, a candle and a toast could work.

I did actually think of that Nick, she was part mastiff and part seal, absolutely loved to swim and loved the water.

cinnamon_girl

Really pleased that mine was cremated and we, including young kids, scattered some of her ashes in her favourite swimming pond.

A tough time for you all.

Bagstard
    Free Member

We didn’t take her ashes as my wife wasn’t keen, otherwise that would have worked.

The lantern would have been perfect, but I’m not willing to litter or risk another animals health.

cinnamon_girl

I did actually change my mind about ashes, at first thought it was gruesome but my fellow dog-walking friend suggested it may help and so glad I listened.

Was there a particular walk that your dog enjoyed? Could you incorporate that and include a favourite viewing point/tree/wood for personal reflection?

northshoreniall

When we lost Digger last year I went for a ride where we used to ride together and just sat and remembered the awesome times he gave me.
    Edit – still talk to him when I pass his watering/ swim spots – doesn’t look at all odd, honest.
    Damn its dusty here 🙁

Bagstard
    Free Member

There are a number, we will have to have a family discussion to choose the favourite.

perchypanther
    Free Member

We have a pet cemetery in the garden. We are now on the fourth generation of our family to bury pets there.

Currently contains a corgi, a westie, two scotties, two cocker spaniels, 3 hamsters, 1 guinea pig and several rabbits.

cardo

We lost our lab 2 weeks ago and had him cremated, he is now in an Urn with his collar and name tag around the base of it. We feel like he’s home again sat on the shelf above where his bed was… sorry for your loss mate.

Bagstard
    Free Member

I’m first downstairs in the morning and stroke the fleecey throw she would be lying on, I think I may be doing that for some time.

Loved the idea of a pet cemetary, but it is too late for that. Sorry for your loss cardo, I am regretting not bringing the ashes home now.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Lost Scraps a couple of months back. Yesterday would have been her 19th birthday. This weekend I’ll be going up a hill to my favourite place and sit where I scattered her ashes. Mine will up be up there soon enough.
    Its a view I can stand a lot of.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/RbKY27]IMG_0092[/url] by John Stanley, on Flickr

Bagstard
    Free Member

Wow 19!That must have hit hard, can’t argue about the view eddie.

IHN

Sorry for your loss chap.

We’ll have this decision to make in the next year or so I bet, Nelson the cantankerous, arthritic, stupid, cute, anxious, loveable ratbag is 17 now so can’t have long left.

I think he’ll be buried/scattered under the bird feeders in the garden, as that’s where he’s spent his happiest times.

irc

We planted a Camellia bush in our garden after losing a dog. Twenty years later it,s over 15 feet high and reminds us of the dog when it blooms in spring.

cheekyget
    Free Member

Oh mate I feel your pain…we had our 16 year old shih tzu put to sleep 3 weeks ago…I even held her paw while the vet did the deed.
    To remeber her I did a ride round one of her fav places and posted a pic on Strava as my son wanted something he could always see on his iPad…I don’t want to rub it in but……We got her cremated and her ashes are in a carved wooden box, and now she sits on a shelf in the front room .
    I might take some ashes mix it with the ink and get a tattoo done .

beefheart
    Free Member

sweepy
    Free Member

I bury ours, digging the hole gives me time to think about them and say goodbye. After that I just remember them happily.

Bagstard
    Free Member

We had a change of heart on the ashes, luckily it wasn’t too late to change our minds.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/23591986_313244732523793_2208418085911651973_o.jpg?oh=b5dd731e8ee2961e1a7ba768561a076c&oe=5A891F7A

My beautiful girl!

houndlegs
    Free Member

Glad you were able to have the ashes back. We had our old boy put to sleep in August, and we both found it a big comfort to have his ashes come home, where he belongs.
    When the time comes, the three of us are going to be scattered together at one of our favourite spots where we all used to walk.

cheekyget
    Free Member

Just received a 3D laser eched crystal block from here…. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3d-photo-in-crystal-personalised-best-gift-size-8x5x5cm/172979836334?hash=item284666d5ae:g:KFQAAOSwevdaCs4b

My wife cried when I got her to open the box…really great way to remember your pet!!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Ideas for a send off for my beloved pooch?’ is closed to new replies.