Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Ideas for a self catering biking holiday – Europe?
  • gp
    Free Member

Hi, I’m looking for a nice place to go for a 2 week holiday with the family and obviously we (i) will want to go out riding!

Thinking about Northern Italy, Sardinia/Sicily perhaps, but wondered if you had any recommendations!

Somewhere with beautiful scenery, nearby-ish town with restaurants, beaches or mountains etc etc!

Thanks

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Lake Garda? Soller etc on Mallorca? Joy Riders do a holiday on the coast in Malaga (I think).

roady_tony
    Free Member

Dolomites – south tyroll to be precise

http://www.suedtirol.info/South_Tyrol/Cycling_mountain_biking_MTB/N-1049_0-en-Cycling_mountain_biking.html

Cycle paths, MTB with chair lifts, fantastic places to eat and stay, valleys, mountains, some epic road climbs, superb walking.

you can now MTB a huge trip all the way round the UNESCO site too

http://www.suedtirol.info/South_Tyrol/News_Cycling_and_mountain_biking/D-12469-en-Mountain_biking_in_the_heart_of_the_UNESCO_world_natural_heritage.html

I was there a few years ago, didnt want to leave.

gp
    Free Member

Thanks, that all looks great…

jedi

im in the same dilemma, dunno what to do for this years holiday. usually 10 of us too which don’t make it easy

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Not Europe – but with the Euro exchange rate, it may not work out a whole lot dearer?

CALIFORNIA!

Did it last year in an RV around the best riding spots in California for two weeks & two days – total cost circa. £1500pp and that was with an RV that took 4 people! Doing it again this year but with 4 of us and an RV that takes 6-7 people and the cost is circa. £1200pp.

spokebloke
    Free Member

I’ve got a mate with a gite in Brittany that sleeps 8 easily, it’s 2km fron 12 x organised trails, 10km from Plouay (massive cycling town, velodrome, museums etc), about 40 miunute drive from the beach.

website here

French Brittany VTT (MTB) website.
    I’ll dig a map of the area out.

He asks about £475 per week (£60 per person based on 8), and the ferry is about the same again high season.

Cracking place – stayed there for two weeks last year.

PeterHerold
    Free Member

Hi, I’m looking for a nice place to go for a 2 week holiday with the family and obviously we (i) will want to go out riding! Thinking about Northern Italy, Sardinia/Sicily perhaps, but wondered if you had any recommendations! Somewhere with beautiful scenery, nearby-ish town with restaurants, beaches or mountains etc etc!

Maybe sounds obvious, but some key things that differentiate between these places are:-
    1. by the sea/beaches or not?
    2. mountains or not?
    3. developed or not?
    4. ease of flying from where you live in UK

Where we live in Sardinia there are nice places on the coast to stay and, within 20 km, mountains rising to 1300 m and rocky, Alpine AM riding as well as XC.
    Lots of places to stay from campsites to apartments to hotels
    Completely different to the “fake” Sardinia of the Costa Smeralda which National Geographic recently criticised See comments what it’s like here compared to the Costa Smeralda at 11:30-12:50 of this RAI International documentary.
    Videos of rides
    Rent of hardtail bikes
    Have fun! cheers Peter

ianv
    Free Member

Andorra, cheap, awesome mountains, nice towns, top riding.
    Les Angles, French pyranees, http://www.les-angles.com/lesangles/ Lake, bike park, mountains, loads of activities off the bike

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Ideas for a self catering biking holiday – Europe?’ is closed to new replies.