Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • idea's for a new car. to take 2 bikes inside.
  • ton

i need a new car, my 57 plate astra is too small, too uncomfy and pretty crap.
    so i had a look at a couple of motors today. a zaffira, which i have had before. bikes went in no problem, but didnt grab me really.
    then i went to look at a skoda yeti. i have no idea about them, well i have no idea about cars to be honest.
    so it needs to be able to take 2 bikes inside, it needs to be comfy for a 6f 4” driver and a 5ft driver. something good on long runs.

any idea’s?

Caher

A van?

Daffy

Budget?

Caher

deadkenny
    Free Member

Civic. I’m biased as have one and love it 😀 . I’m not tall, though had 6ft something passenger and happy with the comfort, even for a long trip with bikes.

Couple of bikes with seats down no problem. Best get a boot liner though. Can also get a roof or tow rack but not used those. I just chuck in the back. Obviously that limits you to driver and passenger.

Very reliable.

scotroutes

Civic is a good call. Fantastic boot space with the clever seats.

falkirk-mark

You are little and large and I claim my £5.
    Any decent sized estate should get 2 bikes in

ton

budget wise, £5K to £7k.

she wont have a van, or a berlingo type thing, which i would love.

Daffy

Citroen C5 Tourer?

falkirk-mark

That’s what I have daffy would easily get 2 bikes in with just putting saddles down and laying on top of one another.

andytherocketeer

can’t believe nobody’s mentioned Octavia yet.
    stw slacking.

yeti did feature on my list for a bit (as a Leon owner, and Leon, Yeti, Octavia all being same platform), but I’m convinced that while it may have shed loads of seat flexibility compared to my Leon, it’s shorter end to end. maybe I’m wrong. hence octavia tops it at the moment.

and yes I get 2 bikes, wheels off, in a Leon plus luggage for 2 for 2 weeks in mine (but it is a squeeze, and probably similar to Astra, hence my planned upgrade to octavia)

timidwheeler

S-max?
    We really like ours.

Northwind

One time I decided to see how many bikes I could fit in my mondeo estate, I ran out of bikes. And I have quite a few bikes 😆 1 medium and 1 xl mountain bike, complete, roll right into it but to be fair once they’ve moved around can be hard to get back out so I usually take a wheel off

My old Focus estate could do 2 complete bikes with wheels in but that really was a bollocks to get them back out.

Any decent estate really will do the job so it’s just about what does it best

tthew

If you can get past the fact it looks like an unholy alliance between a supermini and a post office van, the Skoda Roomster is quite decent. Had one as a hire car once, and I believe you can get an internal bike rack fitted.

biglee1

Or a Volvo V70, I`ve had one for a few years but am chopping it in for an Octavia 😀 😀
    vRS 😉

muddydwarf
    Free Member

MsD has just bought an ex notability fiat doblo. Huge load space, will easily care two assembled bikes upright, seats 3.
    Notability conversions go a lot cheaper than the regular model, she paid £3’875 for a 2010 model with 55’00 on the clock.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

What’s a ‘Notability version’?

I’ve got a doblo van and although it’s good as a low cost workhorse/runaround I wouldn’t recommend one. The electrics are a bit temperamental and it seems a bit cheaply built.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Bloody auto correct! Motability is what I meant, adapted for wheelchair carrying so in our case it has a dropped floor and a ramp (which is coming out) plus straps which will be very useful for carrying the bikes.
    Has one rear seat next to the nearside rear sliding door.
    Lots of room inside, we can get two mtb’s and all our camping gear incl. Mahoosive tent, chairs, tables, camp kitchen, folding wardrobe etc with lots of room to spare.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Auto correct is a right pain lol
    It’ll be a good load lugger without a doubt. What engine is it? My doblo van has the 1.9jtd which is pretty powerful and smooth.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Civic. Cheap as chips and cavernous bootspace.

crazybaboon

Mondeo estate, I’m 6’4″ most comfortable car I’ve ever driven, loads of leg room, Mrs loves during it too.
    XL 29er fits in boot with rear seats down with both wheels still on.
    Can get 3 road bikes in boot with rear seats still up.
    Cheap as chips, dead reliable and cheap to service
    Had a 03 2.0 TDCI Ghia X estate upto 130k, only regular servicing, mate has it now 160k still on original clutch, dmf and injectors
    Now got a 57 2.0 TDCI Titianium X estate , 115k going well, 49 mpg nearly all short journeys and then odd long journeys loaded up and not driven for economy!
    If anything happens to this, I’ll go straight out and get another!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘idea's for a new car. to take 2 bikes inside.’ is closed to new replies.