Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Ideas for a day out with my 11yo daughter (London?)
  • Legoman
    Free Member

Got a rare Dad & daughter day in a couple of weekends so I wanted to make the effort to do something a bit special with her

Thought about the O2 climb, but not completely sure she’d enjoy that. Maybe a show but that’s a bit obvious.

Any thoughts for an interesting/cool activity. Probably in London, but not necessarily.

She love cooking, gymnastics, art.
    Cheers in advance

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Ask her? At eleven she’d surely know what what she wants to do…

scc999

She likes art, you’re going to London – no brainer, surely?

Tate, National Portrait Gallery, Saatchi gallery, National Gallery…
    Actually, have a look here:
    http://www.timeout.com/london/art/top-10-art-exhibitions-in-London

Has she ever been to the Science Museum or Natural History Museum? They’re great for kid of all ages.

Treat her to a meal at a restaurant where you can see the chefs working?

Depending on how much she’s already seen of London, this is fun and interesting:
    http://www.londonducktours.co.uk/

Whatever you do, I hope you both enjoy it – London is a fantastice place with so much to see and do. Just a shame it’s so far from decent biking and climbing!

Si

shooterman

My daughter loved the Foundling Museum at that age.

We are going over to London last weekend in April and Camden market, afternoon tea and the London eye were all suggested by my 13 year old daughter.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Tate Modern if she’s interested in art. The RA also has some good exhibitions. High buildings tour? Top of the shard has a spectacular viewing galary going by some pics a friend posted on FB. If you do go on the Eye definitely do the 3D cinema before you go on the Eye itself my kids enjoyed it more than the ride.

jimdubleyou

I would suggest Tate Modern followed by one of the high-rise restaurants in the City – Duck & Waffle, SkyGarden or anything in the Shard.

Activity wise, the Thames Rib tour is pretty cool as it the London Eye.

mogrim

My girls (11 and 15 at last visit) love Camden Market, and lunch at one of the stalls under the arches is a popular choice.

dantsw13

My daughter is 11 – we did the Harry Potter studio tour at Easter and she loved it.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Borough Market – for the food
    Tate Modern – for the walk, the art and the building
    Over the Milenium Bridge – because it’s beautiful and you still cannot beat a view of London from over the Thames
    Up to the top of St Pauls, because the view is the best in London and it’s free.

nedrapier

There’s a new Go Ape in Battersea Park. There in the morning, walk, lunch and art. Tate modern/Tate Britain depending on preference for classic or modern.

And a show in the evening if you’re feeling really punchy!

jimdubleyou

Up to the top of St Pauls, because the view is the best in London and it’s free.

How do you get around the entrance fee? Just blag that you’re worshipping?

Legoman
    Free Member

Cheers for the responses so far.
    We’ve done the Eye, Borough Market & (numerous) Go Apes – all well received.

I will ask her but wanted some options to check out beforehand.

Camden market is a good call, likewise Tate modern. I was also thinking about seeing The Railway Children at Kings Cross – anyone seen it? Seems to get good reviews.

Keep em coming…

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

We have family down south and try to get there a couple of times a year. Done most of the main attractions and tbh, most for my two kids were a bit same old, same old. Great fun but nothing that produced much memories.

If i were having a father/daughter day with my girl in London i would go somewhere nice and take her for a champagne lunch. My wife and daughter got treated by my Auntie to one last year and my daughter was absolutely glowing (She also had her nails done and her ears pierced but thats another story).

theotherjonv

Last trip I made to London with my 11yo we went to the National Gallery. Set ourselves 90 minutes and went and saw the ‘classics’ many of which she’s already seen in art at school.

Then we went to Carnaby Street and Oxford Street, and then to Borough Market for a late lunch buffet.

I love Dad and Daughter time…..

mogrim

Not sure about costs/dates, but the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden does behind-the-scenes visits, my eldest was 13 or 14 when she did it with her
    Granny, and loved it. (Youngest never liked ballet so wasn’t interested).

Quick google: http://www.roh.org.uk/visit/tours

Other suggestions: the V&A is great, if your 11 year old is like mine was the dress collection could be interesting. It’s free, too, and the café’s pretty good. Short walk from there to the Food Hall in Harrods as well.

midlifecrashes

Don’t forget the zoo.

nedrapier
    Ro5ey
    Free Member

Some great suggestion but for legend status

Top Shop … oxford circus.

Hand over some cash and let her choose what she likes

CountZero

Tate Modern if she’s interested in art. The RA also has some good exhibitions. High buildings tour? Top of the shard has a spectacular viewing galary going by some pics a friend posted on FB. If you do go on the Eye definitely do the 3D cinema before you go on the Eye itself my kids enjoyed it more than the ride.

😀

HughStew

My daughter enjoyed the London eye at about that age. If she’s of a ghoulish disposition may I suggest the Hunterian museum, my daughter loved it but then this is the girl who went to a Lord of the Rings party dressed as Shelob.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Ideas for a day out with my 11yo daughter (London?)’ is closed to new replies.