Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Ideas for 5-7 day up north?
  • mingsta
    Free Member

Planning a trip up north I was thinking of hitting the Peak District first and then heading on to either the Yorkshire Dales and/or the Lake District, before the long drive back to shandy land.

Looking for epic type rides which will make the most of the scenery and hillage.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an itinerary, are there any classic routes that we should try? And would it be better to just do one or two regions well rather than cover too much?

Ta!

Smee
    Free Member

Any suggestions? Aye – go a couple of hundred miles further north than that for a start.

uplink
    Free Member

TBH – the Peaks are over-rated 😉 too crowded for me

I’d do the North Dales & the North York Moors, maybe Northumberland

Go any further North & you get Monopoly money from Monopoly banks in your change.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mingsta
    Free Member

Thanks, any suggestions for where to stay in North Dales and North York Moors?

miketually
    Free Member

Swaledale?

uplink
    Free Member

Swaledale is good – you could do worse than base yourself in Reeth
    There’s loads of B&Bs, pubs etc. or there’s the YHA at Grinton
    There’s also a new bunkhouse place at Fremington but I can’t remember its name

For the NYM – Anywhere in Ryedale along the A170 would be good or somewhere like Rosedale there’s a great pub you can stay at Blakey Ridge

http://www.lionblakey.co.uk/

matt_outandabout

Looking for epic type rides which will make the most of the scenery and hillage.

In which case, go hit some Lakes passes…

Peaks is fab, steep n rocky, but very compact and not really ‘out there’ biking IMHO. Also very crowded – and increasingly so….I love it, but more because its on my doorstep and fun.

Yorkshire/Dales/NYM – great, lovely biking with some classic trails, feels and is more remote than most of Peaks. Nice on a summers afternoon, with views of glorious green valleys – not the most technically challenging descents (in general), fun fun fun though.

Lakes = gert big ‘ills, big rides round them in proper mountains, with technically challenging climbs and descents. Some fabulous routes away from the crowds. Amazing rides in all sorts of weather, so much to do within and around Lakes without too much traveling. All sorts of riding around fringes that are less ‘mountain man’ and more Yorkshire – but again more ‘views n skies n fun DH’, I love the area round Kirkby Stephen/High Cup Nick & Pennines/Howgills for some ace riding, but chilled, big skies, quiet.

Dalesman
    Free Member

A new Bike centre has opened in Fremington which is in Swaledale.

We’ve just opened it and you should be hearing about it over the next week or two as we have the official opening soon. There’s some details about new centre on our courses and tours website at DalesMountainBiking

Bunk accommodation is in 2 and 4 bedded rooms @ £21 per bunk&breakfast, bike workshop/shop, cafe, bike store, drying room, bike wash etc……

Riding from here is fantastic, just had a group of guys from Manchester took them on a 48km ride with 5200 metres of ascent. We have an amazing amount of riding in this valley. If your coming north definatley make this one of your stops.

Cheers

Stu @ Dales Bike Centre & Dales Mountain Biking

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Ideas for 5-7 day up north?’ is closed to new replies.