Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Ideal holiday
  • hooli

So whats your idea of a good holiday? I don’t mean lottery win private island stuff, just a getaway for you and the family?

I am a bit anti package holiday, it doesn’t do it for me being hemmed in for a week. Depends where you go obviously but often you don’t get to experience much of the local country and if you do, it is very artificial and overpriced. Not to mention the cost in school holidays 😯

Recently we have been hiring a self catering cottage either in the UK or Europe and we hire a car and bimble around. It is not all that exciting but gives us the option to have some days out as well as relaxing at the cottage.

My hope is as the kids get a bit older, we can be a bit more active and do some bikepacking, hiking or even cycle touring holidays.

So what does it for you?

johndoh
    Free Member

Personally I like the all inclusive / evening entertainment / big complex with lots of other families for our girls to make friends with approach. It seems the perfect compromise where we get to relax and our girls get to make friends, have fun, stay up late etc.

But I agree re school holiday pricing – it is obscene. I was looking at one holiday that was £6k (for the whole family All Inc.) in the summer holiday, dropping to £4k as soon as the term begins. Then goes back up to £5k in half term…

rocketman
    Free Member

We gnerally head for somewhere hot & touristy & out of season that’s near to some big hills. Take advantage of the cheap flights and accomodation and while most people are squabbling over sun loungers we head for the hills

Quite a bit different to the family holidays in the past when we I had to pack the whole fricken house into the car and head off at the same time as millions of others to sit in a queue on the motorway

weeksy

Our current yearly trip takes some beating for me.

Burgundy, medium sized house, really small village outside Beaunne, it’s stunning, quiet, secluded. About 1.5km to village with bread shop and 9km to supermarket town. Me and my lad cycle lots, the wife lies in the sun, beer, BBQ, and stunning pastries, it takes some beating IMO.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Ideal holiday’ is closed to new replies.