Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Ideal cheap 26" hardtail frame for winter build?
  • devash
    Free Member

What second hand frames should I be looking at for transferring kit over from the full sus to a winter build?

Frame needs to take the unfashionable wheel size as well as my 120mm Reba forks.

A Cotic Soul would be my first choice if I can scrape and save a bit extra in the next couple of months but happy with non-steel suggestions.

faustus

On one inbred brand new or used. Can’t really go wrong.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Dialled Prince Albert?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MoreCashThanDash

Inbred, or Soul if you can find one

nick1962
    Free Member

I got a Saracen Mantra new for £30 for just this purpose,very happy with it.Old unfashionable, wrong wheel sized stock clogging up a bike shop’s warehouse.

poltheball
    Free Member

This one?

Not that I have a vested interested in it being sold or anything..

fasthaggis

P7

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

456 Summer Season. I really liked mine and that was running it with 105mm forks. Nice and slack with those – I imagine 120mm would be sweet…

the-muffin-man

Kinesis Maxlight frames are nice, good to ride and light.

binners

Be aware the risk you’re running here, before you start. You strip your full suss and transfer the parts onto a hard ail frame. I did it myself. Then you think to yourself ‘this is fun. I should keep the hardtail after the winter, but I still want a full suss…..

Yadda, yadda, yadda… classifieds… regular packages from Merlin, CRC…. hey presto… 2 bikes by the spring. 😀

You just see if I’m wrong.

Oh… fasthaggis is correct. Orange P7 FTW

devash
    Free Member

@binners

When I said ‘transfer kit from my full sus’ I’m simply repeating the little white lie I told the Mrs. 8)

A Prince Albert sounds like a good investment, but aren’t they best with a 130/140 fork?

welshfarmer

Kona blast? Cheap and only 1.4 kgs with head set. sold as 100mm but I have run mine with 120 for a year or more with no issues

smokey_jo

I’ve got a Saracen Zen – same frame as the Mantra and it is excellent on technical stuff with a 140mm Nixon fork – a 120mm fork would probably make it more versatile.

It’s much more fun than the inbred it replaced.

binners

Aha… mission creep? I gather the CRC packages and classifieds purchases will be posted to work over the course of the winter? For the new bike to emerge, like a butterfly, in the spring? 😉

jaymoid

These seem very good value for £185, and are enduro/650B proofed should you want to switch to living trails in future.

http://slam69.co.uk/dartmoor-primal-26x22650b-2014-7439-p.asp

jambalaya
    Free Member

As above …

Cotic Soul or Bfe (cost 300 vs 480 Soul new so should be cheaper s/h)
    Dialled Prince Albert (fine with 120)
    Transition Trans Am if you can find one
    Orange

@binners – full group set under my desk here at work 8)

devash
    Free Member

Aha… mission creep? I gather the CRC packages and classifieds purchases will be posted to work over the course of the winter? For the new bike to emerge, like a butterfly, in the spring?

This. All while hoping that she doesn’t comment on how new the drivetrain looks.

“I’m sure those cranks had scratches on them, and had more than one chainring.”

binners

jambalaya – does the office double as both delivery depot, and workshop? As long as big things like frames don’t dramatically change colour overnight, they’ll never know 😉

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

These seem very good value for £185, and are enduro/650B proofed should you want to switch to living trails in future.

http://slam69.co.uk/dartmoor-primal-26x22650b-2014-7439-p.asp

They look great and the price is good, except the head angle is 69 with a 140mm fork. Which is IMO way, way to steep. 67 with a 140mm fork would have been the sweet spot, allowing you to run 120 without hitting around 70 degrees.

The effect of a steep head angle is exaggerated on hard tails as well, as you only get sag in the front fork.

chip
    Free Member

If you took all the bits of your old bike to build this winter bike,
    How comes your old bike is still a bike .

And given I have not completely taken leave of my senses I am going to go out on a limb here and say it looks very much to me that you now have in fact got two bicycles.

And you say ,

deadkenny
    Free Member

What do you consider a winter build anyway?

My bikes don’t seem to melt in the winter. They are just bikes. Nothing seasonal about them.

Or do you mean you don’t like getting a full suspension dirty 😉

Besides, British summers can sometimes be as filthy muddy as in winter.

jaymoid

How about an old Whyte 905 or 19?

Something like this:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26-Whyte-19c-18-frame-pendulum-single-speedable-dropouts-2011-frame-/161403099832

The steel 19 does look awesome:

I’ve a whyte 905 and a reba and it’s a lot of fun.

ampthill

Is this really going be cheaper than just running the FS through the winter?

Or do you just fancy a hard tail?

But if you insist on an answer. Things like Specialized hard tail frames are cheap as chips on ebay as people quickly up grade to a cooler brand

paladin

I’ll do you a favour….

Post me your full sus frame, and, free of charge, I’ll post you my 456 frame.

moonboy
    Free Member

I ran my small PA at 120mm and it was ideal.

hmmm, the frame is hung up at the back of the garage and really should be put to good use with someone…

Flapjack
    Free Member

How about a lovely carbon 456 frame? £175 and you can be riding it long before winters here 🙂

456 clicky

devash
    Free Member

Is this really going be cheaper than just running the FS through the winter?

Or do you just fancy a hard tail?

Half and half really. For 70% of the riding that I’m currently doing a hardtail would be more suitable and obvious maintenance costs for running a multi-pivot Horst Link bike over winter in the rain, mud and snow (currently living in Northern Italy) are a factor.

What do you consider a winter build anyway?

Something with less components to gunk up and go wrong. 😆

How about an old Whyte 905 or 19?

I’ve actually been watching that 19 frame on ebay but I think it might be a bit small for me. I’m 6ft and have ridden my mate’s medium 19 before and it felt a bit cramped. Ridden a large 905 before and that was actually one of the best fitting bikes I’ve tried, so might keep my eye open for one…

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Ideal cheap 26" hardtail frame for winter build?’ is closed to new replies.