Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Ideal chain length for a 1×11, and what chain tool?
  • endurokid
    Free Member

I’m soon moving to a 1×11 running the following:

Medium cage mech, 30t ring and 11/42 cassette.

The chain comes in 116 links but I’m not sure how many to remove, I normally wing it and as long as the gears run smooth I’m happy, but I’d like t get this set up 100% accurate.

I’ve heard people saying put the chain on the largest cog/ring and add/remove 2 links but I’m not sure?

Also, I’ve noticed chain tools being listed as 9/10 speed but surely they’ll work with an 11 speed chain? The only ’11’ speed speed chain tool I’ve seen is nearly £20, double the price of a ’10’ speed one.

Thanks all

bencooper
    Free Member

Big rings and add two links.

11-speed is a different width – you could maybe bodge it with a 10-speed tool, but better to do it properly.

nre
    Free Member

No problem using an old chain tool on 11spd for me…

scaredypants

is it a suspension frame ?
    leave enought to allow for any chain “growth” as the suspension compresses
    best way is to compress it fully (easy with an air shock, just deflate it) and then set up the chain
    (I don’t do big:big +2, I thread it through the mech and just make sure that there’s a bit of spare capacity when on big:big)

surely any chain tool can open a chain?
    and I’d get a quicklink to join it, personaly

benpinnick

Splitting the chain will be ok, just make sure its aligned and engaged properly, you risk bending backplate if you go at it wonky. For the joining you need an 11spd or adjustable chain tool ideally if its a shimano pinned chain, but if its a quick link then you have no worries there.

endurokid
    Free Member

It’s a Shimano XT chain and on a full suss.

I’d ideally like a quick link but these seem to be really expensive compared to 10 speed, but I understand 10 speed quick links won’t work. But this raises another question, will any 11 speed quick link work?

I’m just thinking I’d need a splitter to shorten the chain incase its too long prior to fitting a quick link. I understand 11 speed chains are narrower but I would’ve thought the pin would be the same??

benpinnick

KMC 11 spd quicklinks will work. The pins are shorter on shimano, as the chain is narrower (a 10spd pin is too wide, either leaving a bit hanging out, or more likely a ‘fat’ link).

The chain tool pin is the same diameter – the problem is that a shimano chain when joined needs the back plate of the chain braced against a surface to work right, otherwise the pin you’re pushing in just flares the plates open. Some tools allow you to screw in the back plate brace a little, which is fine – some like a Park workshop one have a floating chain holder, so it naturally pushes back to the back face.

116 links may work but my guess is that you’d probably want one link less, maybe 2 – depends on the amount of chain stretch your bike gets at full compression. What tool do you have?

shindiggy
    Free Member

Compress the shock, run chain over big ring and through the rear mech, shorten the chain in until the mech is sitting in the 9 o’clock position.

endurokid
    Free Member

Cheers Ben.

I don’t currently have a too but want all the correct bits ready for the conversion, so I need to know what is the best tool and quick link.

Joining the chain up shouldn’t be an issue with a quick link but it’s more the tool I was worried about.

I’ve heard that KMC links are now ‘locks’ as opposed to quick links, I.e they’re not meant to be broken and reused, is this right?

Will this be fine to split the chain?

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/tools-topeak-universal-chain-tool/topetool250000000000

benpinnick

If you don’t mind spending the money – this tool is the best in town. Not exactly portable but will last for life and is ‘future proof’ as the floating chain holder means you can do any width of chain no worries.

Park Tool

On the quicklink – make sure you get the ’11R’ Version – R being for reusable!

I think this is a good budget option perhaps (only £4.40!). It LOOKS like the tool has an adjustable width on the back plate brace, which is what you really want.

Wiggle

endurokid
    Free Member

Nice tool, but probably a bit much for what I need!

Are these ok for the links? Doesn’t say ‘R’ though.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/showPart.asp?part=KMCACHAJ360&bike=

benpinnick

Check out the edit above with the Wiggle link – I think thats a good option at a much cheaper price 🙂

The quick link is the non-reusable type. However, TBH I split and re-use that type all the time 😉 If you have a choice for the same money, get the R, or just don’t worry about it!

endurokid
    Free Member

Cheers.

Right.

I’m sorted.

Ribble had the best price on the XT cassette, and they had a 7% extra discount, so I added the quick links, took a punt on a chain splitter and picked up a quick link splitter tool too.

Watch this space. I’m sure I’ll be back on here after Christmas as I’ll most probably do something wrong, ha!

Thanks all for your advice.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Ideal chain length for a 1×11, and what chain tool?’ is closed to new replies.