Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • iDave diet question
  • mattrgee
    Free Member

Sounds like I’m not eating enough based on what people have said. I’ve lost 15lbs so far, nothing for the last 3 weeks however, so guess I’m going to have to get eating!

BoardinBob

says the 5 stone lighter man, who the eating plan worked for…….

Edukator
    Free Member

says the 5 stone lighter man, who the eating plan worked for

I get banned for linking other people’s own threads to prove my point, Ton. But honestly and seriously, I don’t believe your weight and health issues are being helped by the iDave diet.

molgrips
    Free Member

I suppose you’ll also rubbish the studies showing apples:

Nooo nonono. I’m not rubbishing the study.

The point is that studies look to take one particular question and answer that – they are quite narrow. So yes, apples probably are good for you. BUT

Are they better for you than other things?
    Do they help weight loss vs the same diet without apples?
    Are there other things that don’t have the fructose that achieve those same effects? Or are even better achieved via other things?

An eating plan can only have general guidelines in it. You should take the time to understand the principles, and figure out what it’s trying to achieve and how. Then you try it out to see if it will work, and if it gives you what you need.

You’re basically acting like the people on the ‘don’t drive too fast’ threads who say ‘so you’re saying we should drive everywhere at 10mph’ or ‘I once sped up to avoid an accident so therefore speed is good’. You’re mis-using facts to score points. I’m not interested in that fight.

I don’t believe your weight and health issues are being helped by the iDave diet.

I don’t believe you know shit from Shinola when it comes to diet.

footflaps

Nice to see Edukator is still uneducated…

I also like his conclusive proof based on a sample of 1, himself. Always a good start to any argument.

I don’t believe you know shit from Shinola when it comes to diet.

I think you’re being overly generous.

ton

educator, my weight issues are from being a greedy ****. my health issue was sheer bad luck.
    changing my eating habits to a low fat low gi diet helped me maintain a more healthy weight. and a ace heart surgeon sorted my health…nothing to do with my diet.

Edukator
    Free Member

I was referring to the constant coughs, colds, infections, joint issues and so on rather than the heart thing, Ton. But to say any health issue is pure bad luck when there is so much evidence that diet plays a role in so many is head-in-the-sand.

I’ve watched you on a lot of threds, Molgrips. You generally start insulting perople’s intelligence or claiming they don’t understand when you are incapable of justifying your position. In this case opsing my view that: that banning fruit and specifically the apple in a diet is counter productive.

The GI thing doesn’t justify it because as I’ve pointed out the apple contains pectin and is recommended in the prevention of diabetes. Whilst glucose-fructose syrup is horrible stuff the fructose in an apple really isn’t a problem. The GI of apples is 38. The total quantity of carbs is also pretty low.

The iDave diet bans or promoted food stuff in an arbitrary and irrational manner.

ton

apologies then, I thought you meant my heart issue.
    and I would like to add, I eat plenty of fruit now, and porridge too.
    idave would frown….. 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

The iDave diet bans or promoted food stuff in an arbitrary and irrational manner.

I to rubbish your intelligence, Edukator, because you come across as incredibly arrogant and a massive know-all. Sometimes you are spot on, other times you have missed the point and you are not capable of admitting or even realising it.

A lot of fruit contains a lot of fructose, and often doesn’t contain that many nutrients. And those that it does contain can be obtained elsewhere with lots of other beneficial things besides. So it’s not in the least bit irrational. Pectin is also in things we consider vegetables – I assume you knew that?

And the diet is not aimed at preventing type II diabetes. If it were, I’m sure apples woud be in it. Or at least, pectin containing things.

BoardinBob

My tuppence worth. The iDave/ low gi/ low carb diets help with one main thing: binging. Do people get fat eating apples? Highly unlikely. However the psychological and physiological response to different food types can effect people in very different ways. Maybe Edukator is strong willed enough to have one biscuit. Many other people can’t just have one biscuit and once that sugary goodness gets into the system it creates a craving sensation and food binging occurs. So whislt apples are not fundamentally bad, they could create that sugar craving sensation, and in those times people are highly unlikely to OD on apples and will instead turn to biscuits, cakes, pie etc.

There’s a misconception about these diets that it’s all high fat meat, cream, cheese etc. To be honest you’d get sick of the “diet” if that’s all it consisted of. For me, it’s more of a “clean” approach to eating: lean fish, plenty of veg, no processed/ junk food. If that happens to fall under the banner of “fad diet” then so be it.

nickc

Oh look, links from Macavity. 🙄

That hardly ever happens you know

molgrips
    Free Member

Do people get fat eating apples? Highly unlikely

Probably not. On the other hand, I have a friend whose idea of healthy eating is huge plates of really sweet fruit, lots of times a week. Probbaly not that good.

However she is losing weight from her tubby starting point, because she is smashing it in the gym most days.

BigJohn

The point is to avoid food which cause an insulin spike. It’s mighty hard to get a list of these foods. Sure, you can get a list of High and Low GI foods, and many low insulin spike foods are low GI, and many high insulin spike foods are high GI, but there are many which diverge from this pattern.

So a simplified broad brush edict was given. “No white carbs, no fruit, no dairy, no cereal.As in NONE. Just don’t do it, even a bit”.

And, if you’re a sensible person, after a while you will work out which of the things you can bring back in without losing the benefits. Of which there are several.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘iDave diet question’ is closed to new replies.