Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • iDave diet question
  • mattrgee
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’ve been on the iDave diet since mid January and have so far lost 13lbs, around 2-3lbs per week. However, for the last two weeks the weightloss has stopped, loosing only 0.8lbs last week and 0 this week. This only thing that has changed is I have been out on the bike a couple of times a week for the last two weeks. Nothing over the top, just 8 miles per outing, 16 miles a week. This seems to have stopped the weightloss in it’s tracks.

Any ideas why?

gonefishin
    Free Member

Weight loss, no matter how you do it, is seldom a linear affair and it does get more difficult the more wieght you lose as your body requires less energy as it’s not shifting all that excess bulk around.

Oh and this bit

This only thing that has changed is I have been out on the bike a couple of times a week for the last two weeks. Nothing over the top, just 8 miles per outing, 16 miles a week. This seems to have stopped the weightloss in it’s tracks.

Will almost certianly be a coincidence, unless of course you’ve been eating pies to compensate.

jota180
    Free Member

You need to buy a training program fron Dave to start the weight loss again, it’s a sort of pay wall he has set up

miketually
    Free Member

What did you eat/drink before/during the exercise?

mattrgee
    Free Member

What did you eat/drink before/during the exercise?

I’ve been going out after my evening meal which is usually chicken+veg, steak+veg or fish+lentil curry +veg. 😛 Usually, an about hour after eating. Not eating anything during just taking water with me. What’s odd is that I’m not particuarly hungry afterwards.

lazybike
    Free Member

iDave…those were the days, stw at it’s finest.

miketually
    Free Member

Try riding before eating, see if that helps?

IIRC, iDave is a big fan of rides before breakfast for fat burning.

soobalias
    Free Member

a slow carb diet can help balance a calorie defecit with foods that dont give you feeling hungry.

check your calorie requirement with your weekly intake and see if you need to revise portion sizes or not kick the 5hit out of it on your off-day

mattrgee
    Free Member

Is it possible I’m not eating enough? Most days are the same:

Breakfast: 2 egg omelette with ham.
    Lunch: Bacon, lentil and split pea soup (quite stongy)
    Dinner: Chicken breast + veg

This is the same for non-riding and riding days.

Russell96

Did it back in 2012 and lost 2&1/2 stone in four months, it’s slowly crept back on (not to the original starting weight) over the years since, so back on it again this year and I have so far lost 1&1/2 stone since the beginning of Jan. In that period there have so far been a couple periods where the loss has plateaued for over a week at a time, so unless you have made big changes to the diet since you started or have changed your exercise routine I wouldn’t worry just yet.

ton

I lost 5 stone on it, kept 4 stone off. I follow it all the time now, bit of bread on a weekend.

mattrgee, that is not a lot of food.

Edukator
    Free Member

So four years on people are are still into this fad diet; weight yo-yoing, increasing their cancer and heart disease risk.

The Lyon version of the Mediterranean diet meanwhile has saved lives, reduced peoples dependence on medication, reduced their cancer risk and provides them with a healthy framework for eating enjoyable food that won’t leave them painfully farting their way through the day.

BigJohn

Yup still on it. Chemo’s going OK, pacemaker is going to be fitted next week and down to 15 tablets a day.

mrjmt
    Free Member

a healthy framework for eating enjoyable food that won’t leave them painfully farting their way through the day

lol

soobalias
    Free Member

see, i still think that trolling is an art.

*daydreams of byegone dayz*

BoardinBob

That’s very little to be honest. Having a play with my fitness pal suggests that’s just under 1000 calories. Coupled with exercise that’s way too little.

molgrips
    Free Member

So four years on people are are still into this fad diet

Yeah.. Slow carb.. What a terrible stupid fad idea 🙄

If you k ew anything, Edukator, you’d realise how sensible slow carb is as an idea. That’s all iDave diet is. You just don’t get it, you misunderstand the whole idea.

MrNice
    Free Member

The Lyon version of the Mediterranean diet meanwhile has saved lives, reduced peoples dependence on medication, reduced their cancer risk and provides them with a healthy framework for eating enjoyable food that won’t leave them painfully farting their way through the day.

do you have a reference for the reduction of cancer risk and reduction of dependence on medication? The abstract of the Lyon study does not include the words cancer or medication. So far as I can see it looked only at CV events.

The results of the trial look initially impressive but it’s not without weaknesses:
    “In addition, dietary data are reported for only 83 (of 303 randomized into the study) and 144 (of 302 randomized into the study) subjects in the control and experimental groups, respectively. With only 30% of the total control cohort and <50% of the total experimental group providing dietary data at the conclusion of the study, the diet of the other subjects who completed the study is not known. This raises questions about the role of diet in accounting for the results reported for recurrent coronary events.”

Edukator
    Free Member

On the iDave diet sheet I was sent one of the first instructions was “no fruit”, Molgrips. The iDave was (past tense used knowingly) much more than just “slow carbs” (or low glycemic index).

That not “five-a-day” is it? It’s one a day. With most of the rest being artery clogging fat.

How about this instead:

Breakfast: Proper musli and fruit with tea.
    Lunch: real bread, lean ham, goat’s cheese, salad, tomatoes with olive oil dressing.
    Dinner: Pizza (goat’s cheese, ham and tomato sausce topping) and salad washed down with a glass of red. Fruit for dessert.
    Snacks; apples and 70% chocolate in bread.
    Drinks, coffee, tea, orange juice.

Four years on I’m still 67kg and have cholesterol results that are so low the doctor comments. However, I’m still racing at 54 which can’t be healthy.

MrNice
    Free Member

and thus the arguing begins… I can’t even be bothered playing logical fallacy bingo this time

[closes thread]

mogrim

and thus the arguing begins…

I know, brings a nostalgic tear to my eye 😆

Clobber
    Free Member

Nice to see Edukator is still uneducated…

Edukator
    Free Member

I was tempted to post an iDave thread on the STW classics thread. 🙂

Google it MrNice.

My first Google results for the “Mediterranean diet” and “cancer” brought up a Catalan study reporting a 33% reduction in the risk of intestinal cancer. “Mediterranean diet” and “statine” bring up lots of reports in French around the debate surrounding the over-prescribing/unnecessary prescribing/automatic prescribing of statines in France and the behaviour of people on statines in the USA.

Edit: time for lunch – sardines on fresh bread and tomatoes.

molgrips
    Free Member

The diet sheet wasn’t a strict set of instructions for some magic voodoo effect. It was a set of suggestions of things that might help you lose weight, and the reasoning behind it was presented in many threads.

Fructose is lipogenic – this is not controversial. So you might find cutting out fruit helps. Fruit is not very nutritionally dense so it doesn’t make much difference to your nutrition. There’s nothing in fruit you don’t get from vegetables with much more besides.

It wasn’t much more than slow carb. IT was in fact low insulinaemic – meaning reducing the amoutn of insulin, which is why dairy was not recommended. However – I actualyl went to the trouble of understanding the ideas, unlike you, so I realise that you can mix and match the ideas to fit what works for you.

It’s an entirely reasonable and sustainable approach – you just don’t want to see it that way because you like to take your opposing stance. You are painting it as a voodoo fad so that you can rubbish it, when that was totally not the original point.

The mediterranean diet is also an excellent way to eat. For different reasons. There are lots of ways to eat well, and lots of ways to get and stay thin. Find one that works. iDiet does work for many people, and is not unhealthy. No issue.

Edukator
    Free Member

Give me one reason for not eating apples in any diet whether for healthy living or when the aim is to lose weight, Molgrips.

The GI thing doesn’t hold up, apples are recommended in the prevention of diabetes. They contain pectin which reduces insulin demand. A study on women showed that those eating apples were less likely to develop type 2 diabetes.

zilog6128

iDiet excludes fruit?
    No. You write with ignorance.
    Now go troll elsewhere.

molgrips
    Free Member

Give me one reason for not eating apples in any diet whether for healthy living or when the aim is to lose weight, Molgrips.

Lots of sugar in the form of fructose
    Minimal nutrition
    They are still low GI, but still not that beneficial.

A study on women showed that those eating apples were less likely to develop type 2 diabetes.

Did the study compare those eating a traditional diet including apples against those eating low GI and no apples? I bet it didn’t!

I thought you had a scientific backround – you ought to know how studies work!

iDave diet does not say apples are bad. It says that not eating them may help with fat loss, regardless of anything else they might do.

Edukator
    Free Member

Fruit was allowed on the one day a week when followers were not on the Diet, zilog6128, when they could eat what they wanted. While following the diet fruit was banned, something iDave confirmed several times himself – the iDave diet included no fruit. See his reply to Ton on the first page of this thread when Ton asks about eating fresh fruit salad:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/idave-diet-plan

molgrips
    Free Member

It did say no fruit. However, it won’t wreck the diet, so if you want an apple now and then that’s fine – as most things were on it.

Just don’t glug fruit juice or eat 6 oranges a day or whatever. I don’t miss fruit, and I’m happy I’m getting way more nutrition from the vegetables.

Edukator
    Free Member

I have a scientific background, and yes, I’m in favour of eating apples.

I suppose you’ll also rubbish the studies showing apples:

People who eat apples have a reduced risk of cancers, specifically a much reduced risk of lung and bowel cancer.

A reduction in LDL cholesterol.

A reduction in the risk of cardio-vascular disease.

Reduce osteoprosis in menopausal women.

Benefit the immune system (‘interleukine-4)

Reduce the risk of Alzheimers.

Reduce the risk of Parkinson’s

Should I go on?

Apples are also satisfying, they fill you up for very few calories.

zilog6128

Fruit was allowed on the one day a week when followers were not on the Diet, zilog6128, when they could eat what they wanted. While following the diet fruit was banned

Except that the iDiet is aimed at athletes who are training hard (something which is often overlooked) and simple carbs are allowed – encouraged in fact – after hard training, which could be 4-5 times per week. So plenty of scope for fruit. (Also my comment was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, probably should have included our old friend the smiley 🙂 )

Edukator
    Free Member

That’s not what iDave said on the threads or on the sheet I had, zilo6128. iDave knew Ton was a regular cyclist but still replied that his fruit salad was only allowed on the off day. Fruit was banned, I argued with him and others that his ban on fruit was counter productive.

Edit: Thank you, Molgrips, for confriming the no fruit thing..

ton

idiet rocks. educator don’t rock…………. 😆

hilldodger
    Free Member

Except that the iDiet is aimed at athletes who are training hard …..

No, it wasn’t, not at all 🙄

The iDiot’s diet was aimed at fat biffer mountain bikers who wanted yet another “cheap trick” way to lose weight by following a simplistic list of “do eat” & “don’t eat” food items.

hilldodger
    Free Member

healthyeating rocks, fatboys roll 😛

ton

hilldodger talks shyte, like educator

hilldodger
    Free Member

…says the fatman on a diet thread 😆

BigJohn

At times like these I find myself humming “The Boxer” by Simon & Garfunkel. Especially the line ” a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest..”

Like Molgrips, I took the time to learn the rationale of the plan. It makes sense for me, it’s good for a mostly sedentary lifestyle with a couple of sessions of cycling a week. Especially as I’m not that fussed with dairy and have always regarded fruit as a chore. But other people (Mrs BigJohn included) can’t get on with it at all. That’s fine too but at least she doesn’t winge on about how I eat. And we eat the same stuff at the same times, it’s just I don’t eat the potatoes or pasta etc., but have more of the ratatouille or whatever.

And I don’t eat apples anyway. The pips get stuck in my colostomy bag 8)

Clobber
    Free Member

no point being on a diet thread if you are ethiopian in stance hillcodger

ton

says the fatman on a diet thread

says the 5 stone lighter man, who the eating plan worked for……. 8)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘iDave diet question’ is closed to new replies.