Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 161 total)
  • iDave diet downsides
  • Solo
    Free Member

I’m going on holiday for three weeks

US ?

EDIT:
    Happy hols to team MolGrips, btw.
    😀

MikeG

My UC has definitely improved a lot since I started iDave, I do think it’s probably more about what I’ve cut out than anything else. Gluten especially as I have noticed that if I have more than a couple of slices of bread or a mediumish pizza with a homemade base on my cheat day frequency and urgency increase dramatically 😥

This is the first time since being diagnosed that I’ve really bothered to change my diet though as every time I’ve asked if there is any specific foods I should eat/avoid my consultant goes on that UC is a disease and diet pays no part in it and that medication or surgery are the only treatments 😯

I have found that the only legumes I can tolerate in any quantity are lentils and butterbeans and moderate amounts of kidney beans. Chickpeas and every other tinned/dried bean I’ve tried don’t really agree with me although chickpea flour is fine.

molgrips
    Free Member

Solo: yes, USA.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’m going on holiday for three weeks. I won’t be able to arrange iDiet food, so I’m going to try just minimising carbs and calories overall. I ‘ll let you know how I get on!

Before and after pics??

ourmaninthenorth

I’m sure some of you will think adding to your food log 4 or 5 times a day will also be too much hassle.

Tried that. Found it hard to keep on top of.

Am enjoying iDiet, but mainly because it has allowed me to take on much of the cooking at home and learn something new (Mrs North is a good cook, so I always relied ion her).

Am losing weight steadily. But I mainly put that down to the lack of junk food and recent return to exercise. iDiet is just a dietary extra for me.

miketually
    Free Member

I logged my food for a couple of days using MyFitnessPal and found it to be a complete pain in the arse to do. Was dead easy if eating from packets (like my lunch today) but we cook most meals from ingredients and I only eat part of the food cooked for the four of us so it was just guesswork.

Interestingly, I never once hit the calorie target the site suggested for me, despite one of the days featuring five pints and tapas, though the tapas quantity was total guesswork so I probably did.

Solo
    Free Member

Interestingly, I never once hit the calorie target the site suggested for me, despite one of the days featuring five pints and tapas, though the tapas quantity was total guesswork so I probably did

Taubes makes an interesting proposal in that video, where he suggests that missing / exceeding your caloric target by as little as 20 Cals may lead to weight gain.

I know I couldn’t accurately plot my caloric intake to within 20 cals, in order to maintain a certain weight.

jota180
    Free Member

Jota180.
    You and your method have been accepted for the results you claim you are happy with.
    Yet you flame others.

Who the hell have I flamed?
    Throughout this thread I’ve not once said the idave didn’t work, just that it wasn’t for everyone
    In fact other have posted that my method is no good and I will lose muscle not fat.
    The OP is about downsides to idave, I posted why it didn’t work for me

You seem to pop up on every one of these threads usually posting far more guff than anyone else, getting all anti if anyone so much as dares to question it, it’s like denying the holocaust with you.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

it’s like…

German Military Fitness classes coming to a park near you this summer.

Solo
    Free Member

jota180 – Member

Dude. It aint me.
    Theres lots of people who are much smarter than me, like Mr Taubes, who are suggesting that focusing on the insulin response is more likely to be the answer.

But, you go count your cals, its no skin off mine.

But I do find it incredible that you can’t find an hour to listen as to why Mr Taubes ( not me ) says that counting Cals isn’t what he thinks to be the an answer.
    Although he does admit to once thinking it was as simple as Cals in = Cals out.

You know, the law of thermal dynamics, etc.

Actually, I’d be interested to read why you think he is wrong, if only you’d listen to him / watch the video.

jota180
    Free Member

But I do find it incredible that you can’t find an hour to listen as to why Mr Taubes ( not me ) says that counting Cals isn’t what he thinks to be the an answer

Maybe you’re allowed to listen to vids at work, I can’t – I work in a studio with live feeds so none of the PCs have speakers
    There – not so incredible really

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Solo – I’m actually going to try and watch it tonight.

I don’t count calories precisely but have an awareness of how much is in what I’m eating. I reckon I could guess my daily totals to within 10%.

I probably sub-conciously factor what I’m eating in calorie terms against what I’m expending and I maintain my weight accordingly.

Solo
    Free Member

Maybe you’re allowed to listen to vids at work, I can’t – I work in a studio with live feeds so none of the PCs have speakers
    There – not so incredible really

My PC has no speaker….

I have headphones…

And, I have tinterwebs at home.

Anyway, I tried to engage in sensible debate, but unless you’re ready to listen to a well constructed proposal by someone like Taubes, or whomever.
    Then I feel theres little more I can contribute for you and any debate about the validity of cal counting.

Solo
    Free Member

I probably sub-conciously factor what I’m eating in calorie terms against what I’m expending and I maintain my weight accordingly.

I will confess to falling into the cal counting thing, in the past.

But Taubes makes some interesting points in the vid.

Like, the law of TD, it describes whats happening, but doesn’t explain why it happened…..

Also, he indicates that people wrongly associate physical activity with a reduction in body fat.
    But that actually, its a coincidental outcome and not directly a result of.
    But, you have to bare in mind, that if the result is all you’re after, then its hard to argue that working hard to reduce BF, can not work.

I will admit its slightly frustrating that people wont watch the video, if only to explain to me why Taubes is wrong, scientifically.

ourmaninthenorth

German Military Fitness classes coming to a park near you this summer.

Why not Al Qaeda Boot Camps in a park near you (just without the guns and bombs and jihadism).

What did I say?

Solo
    Free Member

What did I say?

😆

jota180
    Free Member

Then I feel theres little more I can contribute for you and any debate about the validity of cal counting.

That’s handy, I have no desire to debate it with anyone

Solo
    Free Member

That’s handy, I have no desire to debate it with anyone

In your own stylee…..

I wonder why ?…
    😉

grievoustim
    Free Member
    jota180
    Free Member

I wonder why ?…

Maybe because it works for me [although I don’t accurately count] so debating it is totally meaningless for me

How are you getting on on whatever plan you use?

Solo
    Free Member

How are you getting on on whatever plan you use?

Obviously, like everyone who thinks they’ve found what works for them.
    I think I have found a solution.

Initially I dropped from around 85Kg to 78Kg, then accumilated additional muscle to come in at around 82-83Kg.
    I’m stronger now and faster on the bike, despite the extra weight of the muscle I’ve attained.

I was once, believing that Cal counting was the answer, it seemed to make obvious sense.
    But counting cals in no way I’ve seen, addresses insulin response.

And seeing as insulin is EDIT A EDIT fat controlling / regualting hormone.
    I find I can’t then see how counting cals, will effect what my body does with those cals, with respect to insulin and where the cals have come from, ie, high or low GI food.

Infact in relation to Bagstard’s remarks.
    Taubes refers to research where the lab animal has died due to internal organs being consumed by itself, while fat reserves have remained.
    So, it is proposed that the body may indeed start to cannibalize its internals organs and skeletal muscle, in an extreme cal deficit environment / situation.

Right, off home now.

molgrips
    Free Member

And seeing as insulin is the A fat controlling / regualting hormone.

Solo
    Free Member

OK Grips.

I’m gonna kinda give you that one, maybe.

😛

But I’m still not putting bugs in my Broccoli.

metalheart
    Free Member

If we are talking proper downsides then I’ll spill my beans:

1. Cooking. Just about every single meal has to be prepared and or cooked from more or less scratch. This is time consuming and 2 or 3 times a week results in me not having enough time to have breakfast. Sometimes I can grab a idiet *snack* to munch on until lunch, sometimes I end up cheating for breakfast. Usually if I walk into work, 6 miles builds up an appetite….

2. Repetition: I end up with the same half dozen meals all week. My problem I know. I’m not that big on meat or eggs, can make things difficult.

3. Protein cravings: I find myself craving protein as I need something substantial to keep me going during the day.

4. When I under eat and I’m hungry there is nothing idiet compliant at work. So I either starve or cheat. If I have a 6 mile walk home, I end up cheating.

5. Weight loss is erratic. Sme weeks with no apparent change I don’t loose when others I’ve lost a couple of kg. sometimes I have a crap week and cheat like and still lose weight. Go figure…

However the upsides certain compensate.

I am currently 2.5+ stone lighter than when I started 9 weeks ago.
    My body is changing from the flabby overweight to more taut and defined.
    My old clothes I held on to just in case I can no wear (some are even loose)
    I don’t have to buy a new set of cycling gear as the old stuff now fits 🙂
    My cIimbing has come on significantly, less weight = less stress.

And I’ve become a bit of a guru at work… My work mate has just started the idiet after seeing my results and has lost 10 lbs in a fortnight.

molgrips
    Free Member

Alright, since we are talking proper downsides:

I’ve struggled lately because even large compliant meals do not take away hunger. It’s as if my body has cottoned on and is trying to force me to eat at least some simple carbs.

dave65
    Free Member

are butternut squash and sweetcorn allowed on the iDiet?

molgrips
    Free Member

Squash yes (brush them in oil and roast them, like chips only better!) sweetcorn no, cos it’s been bred to be far more full of fructose than it ought to be.

wallop

Unsweetened soya milk allowed?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

It’s as if my body has cottoned on and is trying to force me to eat at least some simple carbs.

Mol – are you trolling?

donsimon
    Free Member

It’s as if my body has cottoned on and is trying to force me to eat at least some simple carbs.

I don’t the the body is all that clever, it’s in your head, head, head.

GW
    Free Member

Still on the diet mol? Shouldn’t you have wasted away by now?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Mol – are you trolling?

+1

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Shouldn’t you have wasted away by now?

If it weren’t for the simple carbs…

…in the form of Vanilla Cheesecake 🙂

bigrich

And seeing as insulin is the A fat controlling / regualting hormone that you can easily control without e.g having injections into your brain and stuff.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t the the body is all that clever, it’s in your head, head, head.

Probably. Most things are 🙂 The previous post was just silliness.

However for whatever reason it is far harder now to achieve weight loss than it was at first. Perhaps it’s motivation, perhaps different exercising, who knows.

miketually
    Free Member

Still on the diet mol? Shouldn’t you have wasted away by now?

It’s not a diet diet…

dave65
    Free Member

thanks Molgrips , ive been cooking it in the Actifry in a little olive oil and smoked paprika, just wantd to check it was ok.

jota180
    Free Member

do any of you idave guys manage to do it living out of hotels?

Beore I tried it I did a bit of informal research and it didn’t look good
    I’m often away, here and Europe for indeterminate time, on the road different place each night etc

molgrips
    Free Member

I have done it, yes, with mixed success. There’s always a meat option that comes with veg, and you can always ask for extra veg instead of chips or whatever.

However you can’t order piles of beans usually (unless there’s a lentilly type dish on the menu.. there’s an italian style green lentil side in some nice places) so you might struggle to get enough carbs in leading to bingeing!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Molgrips – are you following it to the letter? Maybe you’ve reached the lower BF% limit?

Here’s some great iSnacks I found in the supermarket today..

They do snack size chorizo too.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 161 total)

The topic ‘iDave diet downsides’ is closed to new replies.