• This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by aP.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • I'd never even considered a Velodrome could be dangerous?
  • chojin
    Free Member

A massive shock to the force – He was a great bloke.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-26534405

woody2000

Probably one of the more dangerous forms of cycling I’d guess! High speeds, close proximity, fixed gear and no brakes! I’m resisting putting up that pic of the bloke with the splinter in his leg.

Sympathies to the family 🙁

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Sad news. 🙁

From what i gather that velodrome is used more for circuit racing with road bikes and isnt really suitable for track bikes.

njee20
    Free Member

Yeah it was a road crit rather than a track race. Raced against Richard a number of times on the MTB, can’t say I knew him per se, but a real shame. RIP

A bloke I (used to) work with got really badly hurt in a crash there a couple of years ago, not a venue I’ll be visiting! Wonder if the fact it’s one giant curve contributes to the carnage.

racefaceec90

my condolences to his family, friends 🙁

Yak

Sad news – condolences to family and friends.

Rode there once only in my youth. Exposed, windy and bumpy is my recollection, but that was many years ago.

TiRed

It was a closed circuit road race. The availability of brakes and gears make it more, not less, dangerous in my opinion.

Very sad and a very experienced racer. RIP.

aP
    Free Member

Its not really a velodrome, its a large flat squared oval road circuit with very gentle banking. If you want disturbing you should ride either one of the new 250m indoor tracks or go to Calshot.
    Never nice to hear of such things, but it was doing something he loved…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘I'd never even considered a Velodrome could be dangerous?’ is closed to new replies.