Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • I'd like to punch the pope
  • surfer
    Free Member

I really am surprised by the the amount of bigoted morons on this forum who want to resort to violence and cheap comments about other peoples religions without even a reason.

Oh the irony!

I have lots of reasons as do many on the forum.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Not sure they listen to the Pope anyway, I live opposite a Catholic Church and most seem to have the usual couple of kids per family rather than the job lot you would expect without contraception

I wish he would send down a proclamation telling them not to park across my drive even if it is raining

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"I really am surprised by the the amount of bigoted morons on this forum "

I sympathise, but are you really surprised? Just because people know about riding and bikes doesn't make them free from odd predjudices does it?

sherry
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg, are you for real? So if I don't like something in this country I'm just meant to emigrate? Well done you really have stumped me with such a ridiculous comment! You must be the happiest and most content person in the whole of the UK/World!

duckman

Surfer,Aids in Africa is down to superstition, poor education, lack of opportunities,lack of medical care and poverty.Even the Pope,who you are trying to blame,has come out in support of the free licencing of retro-viral drugs. Africa is not a Christian continent,go and look. But since it annoys you,we will take the blame.

moralising approach

Not really sure what you are on about there,I mentioned the practise of rape as a supposed cure for Aids.Maybe it makes it easier for you to try and pick holes in other peoples arguments if you convince yourself they are trying to impose their values on you.
    Oh hang on,you admit at the top of this page you have an axe to grind with anybody who is a Christian.

Junkyard to the forum please.At least he actually posts well-thought out insults.

Lifer
    Free Member

"Africa is not a Christian continent"

Middle Africa 81.3% Christian
    Eastern Africa 62.0% Christian
    Northern Africa 9.0% Christian (87.6% Muslim)
    Southern Africa 82.0% Christian
    Western Africa 35.7% Christian (48.3% Muslim)

Although I wouldn't class any continent as one religion Africa is quite Christian.

duckman

Sorry,I should have posted that as Catholic.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The point is that the catholic churchs lobbying has prevented the distribution of free condoms in africa.

Junkyard
    Free Member

got your tannoy Duckman on ashcroft thread and thanks for the flattery 😆

TBH I would not like to punch him… I think the Catholic position on condom use [ and abstenence per se] are not that effective in preventing babies /the spread of AIDS but I can see their point of view. If we could convince people – and we cannot- it would be totally effective. It is hugely unrealistic to expect it to work though.
    Duckman has a point here, there are many factors at work in the African AIDS problem and to blame the Pope/Christianity is a tad hysterical. I would blame a lack of education first as plenty of Christian countries in the West are not similiarily affected even very Catholic ones like Spain, Italy and Ireland.

Lifer
    Free Member

Is that becuause Western Catholics are more likely to use condoms or because they practise abstinence?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

imo people will have sex whether they think its a good idea or not. i had sex with my ex, which i thought was a bad idea (but it was damn good). but if people are feeling dissuaded abot using a condom, they're lesws likely to, despite still having sex.

imo.

vatican still harboured paedos 👿

duckman

Lifer,I would assume people practise contraception. TJ; source of that please?

Lifer
    Free Member

So there's less aids amongst Western Catholics because of the use of condoms, even though the Pope says they're wrong?

Junkyard
    Free Member

well Google is a wonderful thing I cant beleieve people dont use it more before answering the question I will go for Poor helath care causing most AIDS in Africa.. do you want some research?
    Abstract

The consensus among influential AIDS experts that heterosexual transmission accounts for 90% of HIV infections in African adults emerged no later than 1988. We examine evidence available through 1988, including risk measures associating HIV with sexual behaviour, health care, and socioeconomic variables, HIV in children, and risks for HIV in prostitutes and STD patients. Evidence permits the interpretation that health care exposures caused more HIV than sexual transmission. In general population studies, crude risk measures associate more than half of HIV infections in adults with health care exposures. Early studies did not resolve questions about direction of causation (between injections and HIV) and confound (between injections and STD). Preconceptions about African sexuality and a desire to maintain public trust in health care may have encouraged discounting of evidence. We urge renewed, evidence-based, investigations into the proportion of African HIV from non-sexual exposures

full artcile here
    Anyway it is clearly more complicated than what the Pope has said about contraception – NOT that I am defending that view – or simply condom use. Poverty seems to be a major cause re healthcare provision

duckman

And a whole raft of other reasons I should imagine, education etc.

surfer
    Free Member

Africa is not a Christian continent,go and look.

Well it appears somebody did!

Not really sure what you are on about there,I mentioned the practise of rape as a supposed cure for Aids.Maybe it makes it easier for you to try and pick holes in other peoples arguments if you convince yourself they are trying to impose their values on you.

Not really, this doesnt really make sense.

I explained this

You are ignoring two important things.
    Firstly that the Catholic church condemns the use of condoms within marriage which means one partner often goes on to infect the other and secondly that children are often born with the disease.

And you said

So what you are saying surfer; is that somebody in the marriage is playing away,i.e commiting adultery,(which is kind of one of the big no-no's) but still respects the Pope's edicts on condoms? I can see a bit of a flaw with your line of thinking there…

It appears your understanding of the spread of aids is related to “playing away” which I think summarises your Christian approach to the problem. I explained that there are several ways that the disease is spread.

Oh hang on,you admit at the top of this page you have an axe to grind with anybody who is a Christian.

Its not limited to Christianity but does that detract from my points?

And a whole raft of other reasons I should imagine, education etc.

Of course. However you shouldn’t take the view that because the Catholic churches teachings are not responsible for Aids and its wholesale spread that his teaching are not disgraceful and wicked and responsible to some degree. Are you saying that this is not the case? Are you saying that the churches teachings have some validity?

surfer
    Free Member

At least he actually posts well-thought out insults.

What insults?

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Coyote – Member

The Catholic church is responsible for more deaths than Hitler.Look at it's stance on condoms and the spread of aids in Africa

So the spread of aids is nothing to do with indisciminate shagging then?

or outdated ideas like having a shower washes it away? (Jacob Zuma, SA president???).

SA is now increasingly trying to encourage celibacy, and discourage forced marriages – which by their nature include an element of rape.

Lifer
    Free Member

@Junkyard – that study relates to the spread of Aids between 1984-1989.

KT1973
    Free Member

I'd like to punch the pope

Maybe you should just bash the Bishop instead

duckman

So Surfer, you agree the Catholic Church is not to blame for the AIDS epedemic in Africa.Good Lad.

See,it's easy to pick points out of other people's posts.

However, at no point have I limited my reasons for the spread of Aids to people having sex outside of wedlock.I used it as the example that somebody who was cheating on a partner was unlikely to be paying much attention to what the Pope has to say on contraception.Feel free to re-read my posts and then pick them apart to support your rants,that last one was a beaut!
    I am afraid that as somebody who is a Christian,but not Catholic,I don't have much knowledge of whatever he has said that has got you so hot under the collar.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘I'd like to punch the pope’ is closed to new replies.