Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • I'd like to know the distance/elevation/date of a KML file
  • AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

So I have a KML file of a route and would like to see the data within it. I know it’s route but don’t know the distance, elevation etc..

The route is something that I plotted out on a site (french IGN map site) however the site only allows you to plot a line and download it as a .kml file, it doesn’t give you any extra info as you plot it (useful right?). I was wondering if there are any sites I can upload it to to find out elevation data and distance that show up trail in France?

I’ve tried with google earth but it doesn’t give me any data, just the line. Am I doing it wrong? Are there any other online sites that will allow me to do this or free software? Or is it even possible?

thanks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input

Can make it anything you want

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Thanks for that Mike, that is very useful!

I am actually still unsure as to how I would view the file online or in software. I know a couple of sites for OS maps (like wheresthepath for example) that I would be able to view that on but since i’m looking at trails in France/Italy do you know any sites I can upload gpx/kml files to to overlay and view the data?

Cheers

footflaps

I am actually still unsure as to how I would view the file online or in software

You can just open it in a text file reader. If it’s KMZ rather than KML you need to unzip it first.

KML is pretty verbose, but easy enough to read by hand…

Look for

<Point>
    <altitudeMode>relativeToGround</altitudeMode>
    <coordinates>36.935998,-1.195157,0</coordinates>
    </Point>

The coordinate format is Longitude (degrees), Latitude (degrees), Height (metres).

smokey_jo

ridewithgps.com should work

mikewsmith
    Free Member

That will overlay it as a map I think.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Cheers for the info guys

Smokey – Ridewithgps.com does the job very well, gives me distance, elevation (and profile), able to export pdf and jpg or elevation or map and has many map option overlays, perfect!

Now.. it does look as if my route is a little long for day 1 of bike – packing tour Grenoble – turin, 62km with 3500m elevation hmm

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘I'd like to know the distance/elevation/date of a KML file’ is closed to new replies.