Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • I'd forgotten how fun road riding was!
  • anto164
    Free Member

Just got in from my 2nd road ride this year due to only oging out on the mtb when its wet, only did 25 miles, but man i forgot how fun it was!

Definately need to get some better bar tape though, my right hand started to go numb near the end of the ride.

Any recommendations? Do bar gel inserts work well? I’ve only got thin bar tape onto my alu bars atm.

fisha
    Free Member

i find that the newer bar tape is fine. i put a strip of it along the palm line area and then wrap round it. not too fat, but enough for the extra cushioning.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

you and me both. got my roadie back on the, errr, road, day before yesterday. had’nt ridden it since late last summer. totally forgotten how fun it was. infact, clicking send and heading out right now for an hour.

Sandwich

Sandwich Junior joined me and two mates for a blast on the Suffolk flatlands (350m of ascent!) he’s done after 49 miles. Despite gels and food stops he needed a nap.

mikey74
    Free Member

I took my new roadie (Kuota Kharma) out today for a 67km ride, with 620m of climbing, and it was fun. However, the head-wind reduced the fun factor a little.

The thing that amazes me about this bike (my first carbon)is how much more comfortable than my aluminium Trek 1000 it is, despite actually being stiffer when I put the power down.

charliedontsurf

Cinelli gel inserts work real well. I use them on all my drop bar bikes.
    And yeah road is fun. A different kind of fun. But hey its still cycling so what do you expect.

mikey74
    Free Member

The state of some of the roads though really does reduce the fun a tad.

anto164
    Free Member

actually, yeh i agree with the state of the roads.

About 3 miles mid ride it’s like riding a jackhammer the roads are in such a bad condition, and there’s nothing i can do about it. Just makes my feet and hands numb until it gets smooth again.

winterfold
    Free Member

road riding fun?

you’re not doing it right – try harder.

mikey74
    Free Member

It’s the trying hard bit I find fun :mrgreen:

Rorschach
    Free Member

Damn in Winterfold….beat me to it 😡

souldrummer
    Free Member

Went out yesterday for a couple of hours and, yes, it was fun but my goodness not only are the roads crap (and getting worse)but so are the drivers. I know it was Sunday afternoon and I shouldn’t expect them to be wide awake; but really. If I want my legs shaved, I’ll do it myself. I don’t need a car to do it for me, and, no I don’t ride at 5 mph, so you pulling out in front of me is not a good idea. Thankfully my brakes work better than your brain!!!

But I did have a good time despite the above!!!!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Ive tried quite a few bar tapes and my favourite is the fizik stuff I use it on my road bike and commuter, it’s comfy and lasts well too.

Lovely ride to and from work today, stayed dry both ways and it was even sunny on the way home. Quite a strong headwind but much ‘softer’ wind than last week. Love it.

alpin
    Free Member

souldrummer – Member

….I know it was Sunday afternoon and I shouldn’t expect them to be wide awake….

oh the irony…. given that it is a monday….

i went out for a ride on my fixie last week. 110km with views of the alps the whole way. and i only stopped at one beer garden. it’s nice around munich as it’s rather flat right up until the alps.

PePPeR

oh the irony…. given that it is a monday….

But he did say in the opening sentence, “Went out yesterday for a couple of hours”.

alpin
    Free Member

bugger.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘I'd forgotten how fun road riding was!’ is closed to new replies.