• This topic has 70 replies, 57 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by myti.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • "I'd be gutted if anything happened to it…"
  • perchypanther
    Free Member

Do you have an emotional attachment to an ordinary, everyday, easily replaceable object and you’d be genuinely distressed if anything ever happened to it?

For me it would be my lunch box.
    I was given it as part of a present from a friend’s uncle when I moved into my first house.
    He filled a big cardboard box full of general kitchen and household items that i’d never have thought to buy myself and included in the box was this…..
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/KYKJiw]Box of delights[/url] by Perchy Panther, on Flickr

I’ve used it for taking my lunch to work almost every day in the 20 years since.

I’d be gutted if anything happened to it. 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

I have a few, but my Kindle is one such item that springs to mind. Not that cheap to replace, but it’s a really important item and yes, I was properly gutted when I lost my first one.

Also a few articles of MTB clothing from way back.

ton

i dont care for anything that can be bought by cash. my health and the love of my family are the only 2 things i never want to lose.

bigG
    Free Member

This stapler was given to me, when I started my first office job with General Accident over 25 years ago, by a lovely girl called Isla. It’s been through a lot with me over the years. It’s only a stapler, but I’d be gutted if something happened to it.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Ktcuo9]Untitled[/url] by Graeme Matheson, on Flickr

ahwiles
    Free Member

the ikea spoon* i eat my muesli with.

(even though we were given a lovely set of sheffield cutlery for our wedding, a beautiful thoughtful gift, which i dispassionately ignore every morning as I rummage around for the *correct* spoon)

(*ikea 365 – now sadly discontinued)

senorj

The bureau I inherited from my nana.
    And the Ercol table and chairs my grandad paid for.
    Oh ,also my grandads belts.

cokie

ikea 365 – now sadly discontinued

😥 that’s most of my kitchen.

For me it’s my STW Mug. Got it when I first joined the forum many years ago (under a different user name). It’s just the right size for a coffee and to eat muesli breakfast out of too.

wrecker
    Free Member

loads! My old issue thermal top amongst other stuff and the only tool I haven’t replaced from my time getting my hands dirty is an old brass schreader removal tool with a screw off cap for spare cores to go in.

footflaps

My wife….

slowoldman

Dinner service or any part of it. It was my grandma’s who got it as a wedding present. Not sure of the exact age but certainly over 100. Also my mum’s old cheap aluminium soup ladle.

stumpy01

The keyring on my car key…..I bought it when I worked at Airbus in Hamburg; they had a little shop you could get all sorts of Airbus branded stuff from.

It’s a ‘Remove Before Flight style tag with Airbus (barely) written on one side.
    I could replace it for a few quid, but I don’t want it. It’s coming apart at the edges & the embroidered letters are barely there anymore, but I don’t want a new one…. 😆

I’ve also got a generic extruded alu bottle opener keyring (on my door keys) that was free in a bag at a recruitment fair from the Agilent Technology stand. It’s been on my keyring since 2000 and has come in handy at many a camping trip/house party/BBQ when no one could find a bottle opener. Worth pennies, but I wouldn’t want to lose it….

DrP

This pen – got it a few years ago and it is just perfect – have written all sorts of meaningful prose from it..

I’d be devastated if I lost or broke it.

DrP

DrP

BLX
    🙁

DrP

perchypanther
    Free Member

Lol @DrP.

I only knew your pen from a distance and for a short time but I’m gutted for you. 🙁

pictonroad

My leather belt. Hand made for me when I was 12 at a craft fair thing by a moody fellow with a beard.

27 years later it still fits and I am irrationally attached to it.

flaps
    Free Member

Lol @ DrP
    I’m attached to things I got bought by Grandparents who are no longer with us. In particular a pot gorilla and my DMR Vaults (bought years apart). My Vaults have made me bleed numerous times and the paint has rubbed off but I’ll not get rid, I’d not even swap them for new ones!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My leather belt. Hand made for me when I was 12 at a craft fair thing by a moody fellow with a beard.

27 years later it still fits and I am irrationally attached to it.

My great granddads wolf cubs belt, still in my drawer, although I’m about 3 jeans sized too big now, plus a fair bit of vanity sizing!

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

My original Animal watch.
    Its the first design they released and doesn’t even look that special, plus it’s very much Triggers broom, but I love it.

I’ve had it almost 22 years and in that time its been with me for leaving school, interviews (job and police), weddings (including my own), funerals, bike races, injuries, holidays, the birth of my kids and virtually anything else thats happened in the last twenty years of my life.
    There’s not a lot of ‘stuff’ that can claim that.

Plus, my folks gave it to me 🙂

thenorthwind

About 8 years ago, I was working at a music festival (as I did quite a lot at the time) and I had quite a lot of time between two shifts before the festival started. I’d been seeing a girl I’d met at a festival on and off but we lived at opposite ends of the country and it wasn’t really working. I realised I was much nearer to here than usual and could just about fit in an an impromptu visit for the evening, and to my surprise, she reluctantly agreed. I honestly thought it’d be the last time I ever saw her.

At some point I mentioned I’d forgotten to bring a cup with me to the festival so had nothing to drink out of. She gave me a mug, a freebie from Waterstones with some philosophical quote on it.

I kept the mug after the festival in the hope that we’d see each other again. We’ve been together for about 5 or 6 years now and living together for the last two. The mug is on my desk at work and I have my coffee in it every day. It’s a bit stained, the handle looks like it’s going to fall off any minute and it’s way too big considering I usually drink espresso out of it, but I’d be gutted if I lost it.

Northwind

The ancient Hammer of Thor that I stole from my grandad. It’s a really nice weight, the head is black with age and the haft is as smooth as glass with use and beautifully stained dark with 60 years of use. If my garage was to burn down, there’s lots of stuff I’d miss but that’d be kind of hearbreaking tbh.

He was gutted when something happened to it, ie, me. But he stole it from the RAF when he demobbed so it felt appropriate. I hope some day my son steals it from me.

franksinatra

My North Face 2 man (but mainly x1 man and x1 lady) tent which is now 20 years old.

Kids and family life have got in the way of me using it for many years but got it out yesterday ready for a trip and I thought about how many adventures it has been part of.

fasthaggis

My Beastway glass,made by Tom Eisl.

If it ever gets broken,I will cry.
    All the family know not to use it as it’s ‘Dad’s special glass’ 😳 😯

big_scot_nanny

genuine LOL @ Dr. P – class!

I’ve a little tupperware box that I keep my iPhone cables and the like in for when I travel. Its just the right size, closes nice and firmly, and says ‘Lasagne’ on the top. Perfect. 🙂

bruneep

BigG

Are you really Milton?

avdave2

genuine LOL @ Dr. P – class!

Really!
    You think it funny a man can destroy a perfectly good pen for a cheap laugh.

Harold Shipman didn’t start by killing patients you know, he worked his way up. You really wouldn’t want an elderly relative visiting him, well not if there was any chance they’d be leaving you anything in their will.

And having worked on pharmaceutical exhibitions stands for many years I can also guarantee that as a doctor he will have stolen that pen. Trust me they can be the highest paid brain surgeon in the world but put a pen anywhere in their vision and they all become out of control kleptomaniacs.

perchypanther
    Free Member

@avdave2 – You know it’s not the same pen don’t you?

There’s no way DrP would destroy his lucky pen. He loves it too much and would be devastated.

He’s switched it for a pen that died of natural causes just to play a trick on us. Doctors have access to all sorts of dead bodies and shit.

The cheeky scamp.

stevied
    Free Member

My dad’s old Ping A-blade putter.

He bought it, new, in about 1960 and used it up until he died in ’07. It’s right handed, I’m left, so it’s of no use to me but whenever I manage to get a round in it goes in the bag so that he’s “with me” on the course 🙁

bigG
    Free Member

BigG

Are you really Milton?

I swear if they move my desk one more time I’ll quit.. #niche

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

I was given it as part of a present from a friend’s uncle

mmm bit weird ! did he let you sit on his lap with a worthers mint?

Anyway you lot need to man up a bit

this is the correct answer

ton – Member
    i dont care for anything that can be bought by cash. my health and the love of my family are the only 2 things i never want to lose

Cougar

Really!
    You think it funny a man can destroy a perfectly good pen for a cheap laugh.

It was going so well, don’t start Bickering.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Bickering

Subtle!

fasthaggis

Anyway you lot need to man up a bit

says the expert

Daffy

stumpy01 – Member
    The keyring on my car key…..I bought it when I worked at Airbus in Hamburg; they had a little shop you could get all sorts of Airbus branded stuff from.

Should you ever require a new one, or even just wish to give it a viking style sendoff, just holler and I’ll get you another.

avdave2

@ perchpanther, well he’s even more devious and underhand than I expected. Just ask yourself is this a man in who’s hands you would want to deposit your testicles and then cough. No I thought not

stumpy01

Daffy – Member

Should you ever require a new one, or even just wish to give it a viking style sendoff, just holler and I’ll get you another.

Oooooh, Ta!

bearnecessities

A penknife my Dad bought for me on my first promotion and a wallet that my Mum (that cut all ties from her family, including me) bought me. Many years old and with me every day.

Both in the car that was stolen off my drive and found torched 4 hours later.

Bastards.

On a lighter note, I’ll kill anyone that is responsible for anything happening to my cheap lunchbox fork.

nuke

Loads: penknives, 25 year old jack wolfskin rucksack, my oldest (again 25 year+) Petes Eats big mugs, a small blue baby spoon my son had that we now use to measure out spices…i could go on for ages

jamj1974

For me it would be my lunch box.
    I was given it as part of a present from a friend’s uncle when I moved into my first house.

What a great guy. A friend did this for us with our first baby and it was a real sign of thoughtfulness.

Mine is probably a set of Gravity Randall aluminium stepladders that my dad aquired before I was born. Over 40 years old and still rattle and wobble free. I pinched them when I left home as my mum is not mobile enough to use them and they have been so useful. Most importantly it reminds me of my late dad when he was young – that’s what’s priceless about them.

Junkyard
    Free Member

rolling pin that was my Grans

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

He bought it, new, in about 1960 and used it up until he died in ’07. It’s right handed, I’m left, so it’s of no use to me but whenever I manage to get a round in it goes in the bag so that he’s “with me” on the course

Lovely idea stevie – I do the same with my late father’s watch and cufflinks and important meetings. Give the cufflinks a little rub when I need some inspiration!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘"I'd be gutted if anything happened to it…"’ is closed to new replies.