Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Iconic photos – suggestions please…
  • stuartie_c
    Free Member

Evening all,

I've been looking through my Department Development Plan today and note with alarm that I'd rashly volunteered to create an entirely new 70-hour course for S2 pupils (year 9 equivalent) in Digital Photography. This has to be ready by August and time is now pressing a wee bit…

I've got a fairly good outline plan for the course which will be largely practical (using compacts and SLRs, taking photographs, photo editing and manipulation, colour vs b&w etc.) but I want to include some history lessons as well. I want to get across topics like composition and lighting and to try to inculcate an appreciation of what makes a good shot and a bit of knowledge about the famous photographic pioneers.

Of course, everyone has different ideas of what a good shot is and it's pretty subjective, but I'm looking for a wide range of iconic photographs from as many different genres as possible (portrait, action, reportage etc.).

I have some examples of my own to use (though they are pretty run of the mill) but I want some classic shots to use as well, so I'm throwing it open to STW to post the shots that they find inspiring.

Erwitt:

Cartier-Bresson

For starters.

m0nster2
    Free Member

"Popular Print"

Doisneau

Adams

Anders (or based on)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthrise

Eddie Adams

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Cheers m0nster.

Sorry forgot to say – can you also post the name of the photographer – cheers!

I'm guessing (Doisneau, Adams, Armstrong?, Capa))

matthewjb
    Free Member

I'm guessing Armstrong?,

I think that shot was taken earlier. Possibly Apollo 8.

MrGreedy

A copy of this would be a good place to start – gives a great feel for the range and scope of photography as an art form

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Photo-Book-Jeffrey-Ian/dp/0714844888/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260313686&sr=8-1

In fact, make it compulsory reading for the course! If that won't inspire your students then I don't know what will

roper
    Free Member

Lee Miller was in some pretty iconic photos by Man Ray and she took some pretty amazing shot throughout her life but especially during WWII for Vogue.

Lardy_biker
    Free Member

Walker evans (dustbowl) great depression photos.

Sebastio Salgado workers series' more lately environmental pics

Martin Parr _ Thatchers Britain

Don Mcullin Vietnam

Rene Burri – Castro series (I love the rolex one)

Sorry cant post links

The kiss one up there. Set up. Nailed on FACT

Good luck.

Oh. My personal fave. Manuel Alvarez Bravo. HCB but better.

Lardy_biker
    Free Member

Forgot.

Weegee NY crime.

BoardinBob

CountZero

photo by Pennie Smith

CountZero

Here's a bunch of the most iconic pictures going. Some of them are genuinely shocking, (as are some of the stupid comments posted at the bottom). I can't select the individual photos, but these should be required viewing by any aspiring photographer.

The Most Iconic Photographs Ever Taken

GrahamS

The "Genius of Photography" book is a good source of some iconic pictures.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Thanks for suggestions so far guys – lots of famous and less well known photies in there.

Xipe Totec – some of those images are really striking. The Battle of Gettysburg on has a real haunting quality about it.

Keep 'em coming.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Some Don McCullin here;

trailmonkey

😉

stuartie_c
    Free Member

lol @ trailmonkey – I might even include that one!

CountZero

Ansel Adams is one of my all-time favourite photographers. He used 10×8 and full-plate cameras with black-and-white Land film, basically Polaroid film. You can't believe the sheer quality of his original prints, (the Land film had a negative), probably his most iconic is 'Moonlight, Hernandez, New Mexico". The depth of field runs from about two feet in front of the camera to the horizon, and you can clearly see the markers in a graveyard probably half a mile away. No grain in Polaroid film. I think the last time a print sold it went for £45000. Wonderful landscape photographer.

managed to find a copy online.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I've got a fantastic (cheap!) Ansel Adams print of the Sierra Nevada mountains with a horse picked out by the sunrise/sunset. Detail and lighting is stunning.

I'll see if I can find it online.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

This one:

BoardinBob

[img]http://listverse.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/pic-8.jpg[/img]

coffeeking
    Free Member

For me this is iconic of human endevour, creativity and skill:

Thierry Legault – Hubble and shuttle passing between the earth and the sun.

roper
    Free Member

Ooh I forgot about this one.

There is a great documentary about it called " A Great Day in Harlem ". More info here,

http://www.harlem.org/about/index.html%5D

erbii
    Free Member

Andre Kerstez a personal favorite..

The Magnum Photographic Agency has some of the best Journalism/Doco images & photographers. FACT

I think 'the photographers gallery' has some good resources.. images

higgo
    Free Member

CountZero

Well, I guess it is iconic…

fubar
    Free Member

thanks Higgo…was expecting that one…

now where is that Vietnam one with the naked girl running towards the camera

edit….here http://blankaperidot.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/vietnam_napalm_girl.16314440_std.jpg

geetee1972
    Free Member

Flashheart, I read the first post and thought, heck, got to have that shell shocked GI with the thousand yard stare in this thread!

rOcKeTdOg

scaredypants

RustySpanner

Ask your local library to order you a copy of this

I got the hardback
    For Christmas last year – it's an extraordinary record of the last 60 years, and one of my most treasured books.

matthewjb
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg

is this Thierry Henry handballing again?

coffeeking
    Free Member

good choice matthewjb

Kit
    Free Member
    gavinski
    Free Member

awesome

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Like it or not, nobody's ever gonna forget this one.

Or any of the smililar ones.

AndyP
    Free Member

algarvebairn
    Free Member

There is a photograph – and I don't know who took it – which is extremely powerful: Its a picture of a starving baby in (I think Cambodia) and there's a vulture watching her from about 10 yds away. I've only seen it once and it affected me terribly. The photogrpaher apparently gave up war photography right after he took it. Sorry I can't be more specific and please nobody post it but for the OP its worth trying to find.

marsdenman
    Free Member

as ever, pictures speaking much, much more than words……

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Iconic photos – suggestions please…’ is closed to new replies.