Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 129 total)
  • Iconic bikes that you've owned….?
  • franki
    Free Member

Kona Cindercone 1990
    Klein Rascal
    GT Zaskar LE
    Cove Stiffee 69er

ajantom

Kona Explosif Pro (1992?)
    Specialized M2 (with Judy SLs)
    Pace Rc200 F8 – still have this, it’s ace!
    Klein Quantum Pro – again still have this as my road bike.

househusband

’93 Orange Clockwork
    Mk1 Cotic Soul

wysiwyg
    Free Member

SC Bullet.
    Evil Sovereign and Imperial.

hot_fiat

Muddy Fox Courier (mk3 – the purple u-braked one)
    Kona Stinky (mk2 – the one whose chainstays didn’t break)

The courier was the first bike I rode with indexed gears. Much loved, but sadly missed as some mackem arse niked it.
    The stinky is still my favorite bike. Like sitting in a big comfy armchair that’s falling down a hill. I put some AM1-SLs on it and a Roco shock which extended its life to nearly 10 years.

ryan91
    Free Member

Cannondale RZ120 2010 – marked the end of Cannondale’s USA production. Otherwise wholly unspectacular to be honest.

davosaurusrex

I think a 2005 5 Spot qualifies but I would as I had one. IIRC it was the first bike MBR scored 10/10 and MBA described it as “the perfect mountain bike”. It was a great, great bike.
    Also had an XCE (still hanging in the garage with the BB hacksawed out) but the Burner was the iconic one. Had a 2006 RFX too which was a beautiful ano bronze but the 5 Spot was a far better all rounder.

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

Mongoose Motomag (wire wheeled couldnt afford the Mag version in 1980 as I was only 9)
    Diamondback Silver Streak (Met Harry Leary too when I owned it)
    CW Pistol Pete (still my favorite bike of all time, mad geometry and scary quick too)
    1987 Cannondale m900, xc9000, roller cams, bought on a whim SH in mid nighties, crap to ride, beautiful to look at
    1990 Kona Cinder Cone (why did I sell it!!)
    1991 GT Zaskar LE (custom build, U brake version, Scott AT4 bars and Pace hubs, mavic ceramic rims)
    1993-94ish Fuquay custom in Crom-OR tig welded rather than filleted
    and finally the bike I should have never sold…
    Klein Adroit, MC1, full xtr apart from Grafton cranks

Since those days its pretty boring, cant justify big spends these days rather have a few bikes of different types than 1 very expensive one

PJM1974
    Free Member

Of all the bikes that I’ve owned, there are two stand out game changing icons.

My 2004 Enduro was the bike everyone wanted to be seen on. Back in 2001 when the frame first appeared, it sported a whopping 132mm of travel, radical geometry (69.5 degree head angle, 1 degree steeper than the seat angle!) and that monocoque frame. I still have it, the frame hangs from the dining room wall.

The other is my 29er Stumpy Evo from 2014. It’s also my favourite bike, ever.

BillMC

Whyte PRST 4
    Maverick Ml 7
    Condor Cadet

colournoise

4130s0ul – Member
    I guess they may be more iconic in certain circles but the Mk1 & Mk2 DMR Trailstar

Only bike I’ve owned that comes close to iconic, and I reckon it is to the UK MTB scene. Arguably the first proper all-round ‘hooligan hardtail’ designed for UK riding?

shortcut

1991 Stumpjumper Team
    1992 Orange Prestige with Ritchey Logic tubing.
    92 or 93 Kona Explosif (the black one)
    GT Zaskar
    Cove Stiffee (with the Easton Rad tubing)
    White On One Inbred single speed.
    Santa Cruz Superlight (last of the 26ers)
    Turner 5 Spot (Horst link)
    Cotic Soul in orange and blue.

29ers are too modern to count unless it is a Ritchey.

smitghga34
    Free Member

My first mountain bike back in 1988, a Specialized Rockhopper comp. Me and a mate who had a Gary Fisher Hoo koo e koo used to have a such a great time getting out on them. Blimey, that makes me feel old

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

The only bikes that i’ve owned that I reckon were iconic were an original Merlin Mountain and a early nineties Kona Explosif. Mrs mw had the grey with black forks Marin Bear Valley which I reckon is probably the bike that is most identified with Marin from the time when they were at the top of their game.

ads678

My first MTB was an utterly nondescript Townsend when I was 15. it got nicked after 2 weeks and I didn’t have a bike until I was about 22 when my brother in law gave me his old Raleigh Dyna-Tech. That was a game changer for me!

r1chardh
    Free Member

Joining the long list of Pace owners – still own it – silver RC200 F3 originally with Pace elastomer (chrome tube brake bridge) suspension forks, now with Pace carbon rigid forks. Still wears the matching clear plastic crud catcher! It never fails to get positive comments.

Lester
    Free Member

my list of what i think were iconic bikes ive had

marin b17
    whyte prst 1
    k2 proflex 5500 and 4500 with noleen active front and rear shock with girvin forks
    Muddy fox interactive
    bmw Q6 folding full suspension
    sintesi bazooka with girder girder frame
    cannondale raven 2
    reef ? belt drive
    giant atx 1

and best of all ibis mojo

philxx1975
    Free Member

I’m waiting to build this up (It was iconic for me )

@bearnecesseties if you ever want to sell that let me know ,I had one and loved it, and wish it had never been stolen

Hadge
    Free Member

Kona Lava Dome with P2’s
    GT Zaskar
    GT Xizang
    GT LTS Team
    Yeti ARC
    Specialized Enduro S Works 04
    I would also include my Turner 5 Spot in it’s HL design and I had 2 of those.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Various Hecklers but especially my Transparent Blue Mk1 with a chrome swingarm, RC36’s + XTR. How I loved that bike.

pictonroad

Lava Dome
    2x Zaskars
    Ibis Mojo

All iconic in my mind and that’s what counts… 8)

grahamt1980

Nothing much other than my 98 sts.
    Half dare not ride it for fear of it cracking

clodhopper
    Free Member

Interesting what some people consider to be ‘iconic’. I think in a wider context, the only one that’s been mentioned so far which is truly iconic in the proper sense of the word, is the Brompton, as it’s instantly recognisable worldwide, by a far greater number of people than some bike geeks. Many of the models mentioned would, if you stipped them of branding decals and particular paintjobs, be indistinguishable from other bikes except to a very small number of people.

Some mentioned that would stand out within the narrower context of bike geekery, would be things like the GT triple triangle design, the fat-tubed Cannondales (particularly with Lefty forks), the Marin Mount Vision and the Specialized Stumpjumper FS design. Not so sure about the Klein, as so few people actually owned them, so ‘iconic’ in myth more than anything else.

Apart from my Brompton, the most ‘iconic’ bike I’ve ever owned has to be one of these:

Sundayjumper

I had an ’89 Fisher CR7, aluminium main triangle bolted to a steel rear end was pretty special, plus oversize headset & press-fit bb. It was a Nishiki design sold/licensed to Fisher.

My wife has an early Courier, not that it ever gets used.

I lusted massively over an Attitude when they first came out. I’ll get one someday.

oomidamon

GT Zaskar in polished aluminium with Suntour groupset
    Mountain Cycle San Andreas
    Orange E3
    Yeti 575
    Ibis Mojo
    On-One Ti 456 (Lynskey)

Coyote
    Free Member

Kona Stinky Six. The original one (2001 / 2002?) Loved it and regretted selling it ever since. 😥

The stinky is still my favorite bike. Like sitting in a big comfy armchair that’s falling down a hill.

Yup.

buckster
    Free Member

98 Scott Endorphin

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Interesting what some people consider to be ‘iconic’. I think in a wider context, the only one that’s been mentioned so far which is truly iconic in the proper sense of the word, is the Brompton, as it’s instantly recognisable worldwide, by a far greater number of people than some bike geeks. Many of the models mentioned would, if you stipped them of branding decals and particular paintjobs, be indistinguishable from other bikes except to a very small number of people.

Yep.

P20

Ritchey P20 (still own)
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/nVDUm5]Ritchey P20[/url] by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

Bontrager Privateer (regret selling that one)
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/4qJZgy]Bonty Disc[/url] by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

Cannondale Raven(s)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/5YWJnA]Shadow[/url] by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Old Rockhopper Comp (not my pic)

Klein Fervor frameset with Mission Stem. (not my pic)

marc
    Free Member

I forgot.

I had a Raleigh Chopper too 8)

PJM1974
    Free Member

If ever the big one is dropped, only two things will be tough enough to survive the end of civilisation; cockroaches and Raleigh Grifters.

jruk
    Free Member

Had a ~90 Clockwork and a ~92 Bonty Race Lite. Does a Classic Soul count?

When does a bike become iconic?

tenfoot

I had a purple Chopper.

And later a Raleigh Ultra Burner. (is the Burner considered iconic?)

cinnamon_girl

Stevet1
    Free Member

forget it, too obvious.

DezB
    Free Member

575, of course

warpcow
    Free Member

I’ve had a 90s steel Kona, an Inbred and a Heckler, but they were all fairly late models. The one truly iconic frame I’ve had would be my Sovereign, and even that is a mk2:
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/dsp9si]P1030058[/url] by Mike Jones, on Flickr

molgrips
    Free Member

Pace RC200F3.

I had a very bling build of one of those in 2001. It was so flexy that if I stood up and sprinted it would shift at the front. Nice bike though otherwise. The externally butted square tubes were good because as you handled the bike only the corners got scuffed, and the faces of the tubes stayed gleaming shiny and scratch-free.

I also had a ’92 Fire Mountain, and I still have an Orange Patriot but it’s a later model so less ‘classic’. Having read people’s attitudes towards them on other forums I’m wondering about giving it a re-spray being nice to it 🙂

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Cove Stiffee x 2 and a Superlite.
    I miss my stiffee 😥

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 129 total)

The topic ‘Iconic bikes that you've owned….?’ is closed to new replies.