Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • icing-cake-trackworld help needed
  • matt_outandabout

Mrs_oab birthday tomorrow, she is out, I have a freshly baked cake and sleeping kids in the house, so cannot head off to the shop…
    The cream and chocolate icing I normally make has not set in the fridge – it would dribble off the cake. How can I thicken/set it any more!

Drac

Glycerine.

matt_outandabout

off to search cupboards

flowergirl
    Free Member

Cream and chocolate icing? Ganache? What quantities of each have you used? Boiled the cream then added the chocolate? Are you sure it was double cream? Tell us what you did and I might be able to make a suggestion to save it!

matt_outandabout

Double cream, 50:50, added both together cold, brought up warm on bowl over pan of water, just waited for it to melt, did not boil (I thought you shouldn’t 😳 ), lobbed in fridge.
    Normally it works….

flowergirl
    Free Member

I would say do one of two things: either try whipping it ( the fat in the cream will help to add bulk) or if that doesn’t work reheat it and leave it to cool again. When I make ganache I boil the cream in a pan then stir in the chopped up chocolate, leave it to set, stirring occasionally. I make it at least twice a week, I’m a cake baker by trade 😉

matt_outandabout

*heads off for a good whipping*

Thank you!

flowergirl
    Free Member

Good luck!

matt_outandabout

hmmm, not much more thickness. Wopped it on and back in fridge, lets see in the morning….

Drac

What about butter flowergirl would that help?

flowergirl
    Free Member

Sorry, I thought wopped it on and back in the fridge meant he’d iced the cake?? If not, try reheating it cos if it hasn’t thickened it probably means the cream wasn’t hot enough initially. Think butter would just make a greasy mess, although a a last resort a kind of buttercream concoction might work with butter and icing sugar.

restless
    Free Member

Put it in the freezer

matt_outandabout

It is iced – most has stayed put!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘icing-cake-trackworld help needed’ is closed to new replies.