Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Iceland (the country) for Summer Holiday…?
  • Digger90
    Free Member

Anyone been to Iceland?

What’s there to do & see?

whitestone
    Free Member

Yes.

Wilderness
    Waterfalls
    The world’s only(?) penis museum.
    Wilderness
    Hot pools (not just the Blue Lagoon)
    Wilderness

An amazing place, still feels very much like a frontier and only just been settled. Stunning landscapes. Weather can be anything from balmy to full blown storm within a few minutes. Worth having a hire car, but in summer this will be very expensive. We went in September last year, car hire and similar “touristy things” were about half summer prices.

chewkw
    Free Member

Yes, very nice place to visit. 😛

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Stunning country. Breathtaking countryside – the sort where you are looking at it but it somehow doesn’t look real. I skirted around the edge of the country on a cycling event, would have loved to have headed into the interior. Some pics below to whet the appetite. By no means the most stunning views I saw, but I was either riding or sleeping so missed alot of photo opportunities. I’ll be heading back there at some point.

malgrey
    Free Member

A truly remarkable country. The tales of it being busy are somewhat exaggerated, as its just a few hot spots. The rest of the country is pretty much empty, unique and properly spectacular.

Ambrose

All the above are true. My top tip is to visit places further away from Reykjavik. The Westurfjordur (NW of the island) and the North East are awesome. I cycled across the interior a couple of times now, well worth it if that is your kind of thing. Long gravel roads with scenery that keeps your spirits high- which is just as well as the weather and the corrugations on the tracks can really get you down.

Highland sleety snow in mid August is soon forgotten when the aurora borealis makes an appearance as you kick back with a wee dram in a local hot pot.

Youngest son will be treated to a trip there for his 21st.

sofaking
    Free Member

yes loved it and want to return.
    did 5 days in a 4×4 camper and would recommend it as you get to see so much

jam-bo

Thread needs more pics.

sofaking
    Free Member

[/url]My new favourite place on Earth by Matthew Hampshire, on Flickr[/img]
    [/url]LV 426 by Matthew Hampshire, on Flickr[/img]
    [/url]Myst by Matthew Hampshire, on Flickr[/img]
    [/url]Between a rock and a hard place by Matthew Hampshire, on Flickr[/img]
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/SCLo4j]Opaque[/url] by Matthew Hampshire, on Flickr
    [/url]Cascade pt 1 by Matthew Hampshire, on Flickr[/img]
    [/url]Torso by Matthew Hampshire, on Flickr[/img]
    [/url]Shades of by Matthew Hampshire, on Flickr[/img]

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Iceland (the country) for Summer Holiday…?’ is closed to new replies.