Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Icebergs – how close have they got to the UK?
  • twosheds
    Free Member

So they are heading for NZ. Whats the closest an iceberg's got to the UK in recent times? 100miles, 1,000 miles?

jam-bo

A long way, there are no currents that would carry them in our direction

crispybacon
    Free Member

I saw an iceberg in ASDA the other day in the veg isle 😉

CountZero

Find the location of the Titanic. About there.

chvck
    Free Member

I like to fill the bath with icecubes and play titanic with my rubber boat 🙂

john_drummer
    Free Member

define "recent"

in geological terms, "recently" there was an ice sheet covering most of northern Britain. I would expect one or two bergs to have calved from that lot

gusamc
    Free Member

Pop down to just below Swindon/above Marlborough (M4) there's a pile of boulders indicating where the glaciers called it a day (*sometime ago) (on a nice bike route as well)

CountZero

Ah, you'll be talking about Fyfield Down, then. Sustrans Route 403 goes through it towards Marlborough from Avebury. That's where all the Avebury stones got dragged from. Fun to imagine looking north from Chippenham straight at a mile high ice sheet.

pomona
    Free Member

I think they've been spotted from the Magnus oil rig about 160 miles north of Shetland. Never saw one when I was there but some of 'locals' said they'd seen them in winter.

lowey

Well the old cast iron railway bridge over the Solway Firth near Bowness on Solway was in a pretty poor condition but was finally rendered usless by an iceberg hitting it. I think that was about 80 years or so ago.

True story.

wwaswas

Man: 'Doctor, Doctor I have a lettuce growing out of my bottom'

Dr: 'Bend over and I'll take a look. Ah, yes I can see a small leaf'

Man: 'That's just the tip of the iceberg'

igmc.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Icebergs – how close have they got to the UK?’ is closed to new replies.