Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • ibook G4- needs new hard drive- value of it?
  • hora
    Free Member

14″ all worked except it needs a new hard drive which I’m told is a Toshiba unit. I’m ‘guessing’ the computers password was stored on the existing hard drive (I.e I forgot the password so it might have been a problem otherwise?).

How much do you reckon it’ll go for in its current state? Is there a market for them like this or is it literally not worth the hassle?

CaptJon
    Free Member

ebay say c.£125

hora
    Free Member

Wow that much? I think I paid 800 back in 2004.

CountZero

You could get a new HDD fitted and Tiger installed by a good Apple retailer. Nowt wrong with the Book otherwise, so still a good little ‘puter.

hora
    Free Member

If I sourced a new hard drive its relatively straight forward to fit? I.e lift keyboard unplug/plug in?

DarkStarr
    Free Member

Linky

Looks a bit of a pain but not to hard

DarkStarr
    Free Member

If your local to Manchester, drop it off with new hdd, a few beers and I’ll install it for you

hora
    Free Member

I am in Manchester 8)

Just lifted the keyboard. Observations- its an airport extreme module under there and the following memory ‘stuff:

1064 mhz
    256mb
    30GB

MarkyG82

Will tiger run on that? Worth upgrading?

DarkStarr
    Free Member

Memory upgrade and it will run leopard (slowly)

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

If you can’t upgrade the Ram I wouldn’t bother. I have a similar spec Powerbook with a G4 cpu. With 512mb it was horribly slow on Tiger, with 1.25Gb it’s usable, but still slow compared to a modern cheap laptop /netbook.

It gets used for kitchen web browsing and running alpha-baby.

mboy
    Free Member

Personally, whack it on the bay and use the money towards a new one…

A new HD is gonna be £80 or more right now, RAM that old is now expensive, and even if you do upgrade both, you’ve then only got a machine that will just about run Leopard slowly… I’ve literally just sold an immaculate MacBook this evening that is much newer, and much faster for £350… Far better bet than throwing loads of money into an ancient machine, unless you’ve already got the spare parts and knowhow to fix yourself IMO.

hora
    Free Member

Hmmmmmm ebay. I’ve hardly missed it, its sat on a shelf for over 2yrs.

simon_g

If I sourced a new hard drive its relatively straight forward to fit? I.e lift keyboard unplug/plug in?

I’ve done a few of them, nothing that hard but it’s a long and fiddly job that involves a pretty comprehensive strip down. Keep the screws you remove separated as there’s several different lengths and threads used.

Drive will be less than £50 (remember IDE not SATA) so wouldn’t cost a great deal to do. 512MB memory modules are £15 from Crucial, so could get 1GB in there quite cheaply too.

Not that it stops it being an old, slow machine that can only run obsolete versions of MacOS. I’d probably fix the hard disk just so you can sell a working machine rather than a “spares or repair” one but if you’re looking at paying someone to fix it for you, I’d say sell it as-is.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘ibook G4- needs new hard drive- value of it?’ is closed to new replies.