Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Ibis Mojo – outdated?
  • surf1666
    Free Member

I have lusted after a mojo hd for a while the time is now and I am worried it is out of date? I need a bike to replace my Giant Reign x, thoughts?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I am worried it is out of date

Why are you worried? The hill haven’t changed since it was first made.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

what a bizarre thread

transapp
    Free Member

I know what you mean, but they look better than almost any other bike so I reckon they are still the best bike about.

themoodster
    Free Member

Try riding one 😉

bazza17
    Free Member

Agree with the other comments. The HD is still supposed to be fantastic but may if anything be slightly more affordable than when they first landed

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Its maybe one degree steeper in the head angle, and a couple slacker in the seat angle, than the latest bikes of its type, but other than that I can’t see that it’s missing anything. Unless you think that 29ers/650B/Forward Geometry/Di2 are going to be the new norms, in which case nearly all current bikes are out of date.

LoCo
    Free Member

One of my favorite bikes, got to borrow one for a week trip to Scotland, light, pedals well, decsended well, yes the angles may not be ‘on trend’ by a degree but you could always run angle set.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

The latest HD is 650b compatible (just to keep the keep up with what the magazines say crowd…)

ojom
    Free Member

You mean 26″ with big tyres chunky? 🙂

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

That’s not what the mags said! 😡

LoCo
    Free Member

or you could run 135mm 29er forks on it with a 650b rear wheel, that the next big thing 😉

coogan
    Free Member

I took a couple of fellas out on their Mojos the other weekend. Completely left them in my wake on my 5 Spot. One of them had his set up with dodgy gears. Was a bit embarrassing to be honest…

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Is this a classic STW-fashion follow-thy-leader type of thread? I think it is.

proberts
    Free Member

I love my 2010 Mojo, it goes like a rocket both up and down. It doesn’t feel outdated to me!!

eyerideit
    Free Member

I’ve just put a lopes link on my 2008 mojo so it’s bang up to date as far as I’m concerned.

Borrow/test one and see for yourself.

cynic-al
    Free Member

i OVERTOOK A GUY ON A MOJO ON MY CROSS BIKE JUST BEFORE MY CHAIN BROKE.

SERIOUSLY DON’T BUY ONE.

rOcKeTdOg

weren’t they always out of date? 26″ afterall 😉

coogan
    Free Member

Right enough Al. Knew you snapped your chain just to give them time to sort the gears out.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You kens it Coogan!

You up for some birthday food/beers Sudnay?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

So totally out of date, can’t be worth more than £100 in todays money, get it on the classifieds now! (It’s a large right?)

busydog
    Free Member

Had mine 3 years now–great bike—I have ridden several other makes in the last few months on “test rides”,courtesy of friend at LBS and with that perspective, see no need to spend mega-bucks just for the sake of something “new”.
    Just like everidit, put the Lopes link on mine–stiffens things up a bit.
    Haven’t, however, ridden a 29 or 650b as I am afraid I will then immediately need (want) one.

julians
    Free Member

I have a mojo hd, had it over a year now. Great bike – light for what it is, climbs well, descends brilliantly. Cant say that its good value for money though, it is hellishly expensive (but then so are all its comtemporaries). Rear suspension tough to get set up right, very critical to get exactly the right sag. Works well with a CCDB air shock, small bump compliance drastically improved over the stock fox rp23.

Other downsides – no ISCG tabs – but there is a mojo specific chain device available, but in keeping with the frame its v expensive.

Cant really see it being considered ‘out of date’, last year they switched to a 142 x 12mm rear axle, and direct mount front mech, the rest of it is pretty future proof as it was. There doesnt appear to be a replacement for it on the horizon from Ibis, they seem to be concentrating on getting their 29er ready.

Northwind

It’s not as slack as some but that’s not being dated, it’s just a different and perfectly valid approach to a big bike. Not to my taste tbh but taste is all it is.

I’d go direct to a Specialized Carbon Stumpy Evo if I was buying a carbon AM frame, mind.

somafunk

I work in a small bike shop that sells Ibis frames/bikes (along with Lapierre/Ghost) and we supply demo’s for a few days on pretty much any model in the line up, you can either take them round our local 7 Stanes trails (mabie/kirroughtree/ae etc) or out in the wilds, whatever takes your fancy and in the last month we’ve lent out 3 demo bikes and just sent back a demo Lime Green Ibis Tranny hardtail with a 100mm fork that i expect we’ll be getting an order for (very nice to ride), One Ibis Mojo SL 140mm, One Ibis Mojo HD 160mm, One Ibis Mojo Special Blend 140mm – All 3 folk ordered one as soon as they handed the above F-S demo bikes back in and they had tried out quite a few other manufacturers bikes beforehand so i guess they weren’t worried about them being out of date, i didn’t realise carbon had an expiration or best before date? – try one as demo and i think you’ll be very happy indeed.

Here’s one i built up last week for a customer – weighs 25lbs on our accurate shop scales, not bad for a 140mm travel bike and rides pretty nice as you can imagine.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ian Paisley rides a mojo?

Northwind

It might be orange but it’s not loud enough orange.

somafunk

It’s louder inside 😀

dekadanse
    Free Member

Phooee! Out of date? Only if classic form/function design icons ever become out of date. Timeless, more like. But as well as the looks there’s the ride – stiff as Stiff Records (1977 reference) when you hit the big stuff. Nothing seems to knock my old Mojo (08/09?) off course.

LAT

The HD must be out dated, it has the same BB height as my hemlock and that has been superseded.

That said, I ride with a guy who has a mojo and he hands me my arse on most rides (ok, poor choice of words). That said he does the same when he’s on his pitch or his Blue pig. Both of which I assume are less outdated than the hemlock…

JCL
    Free Member

They’re alright but the cable routing is hidious. As someone else said, Stumpy Evo Carbon has it stuffed.

dreednya

Not out of date, just so far ahead of its time when first released that everyone else had to play catch-up 🙂 . Yup I’m a Mojo SL owner of three years and the only changes I’m making is 650B wheels and maybe a 160 fork on the front :D. Only frame I’d consider changing it for is a 140 HD 🙂

MrGFisher
    Free Member

HD 140 here. Best bike i’ve ever had. Much nicer than the 2012 Remedy 9.8 it replaced. Incredibly versatile too.

transapp
    Free Member

But the stumpy evo carbon looks like a dogs dinner, therefore it can’t be any good at all. Fact.

transapp
    Free Member

But the stumpy evo carbon looks like a dogs dinner, therefore it can’t be any good at all. Fact.

puppypower
    Free Member

I have a mojo and sometimes people overtake me. Seriously don’t buy one.

honeybadgerx

I just picked up my SL-R frame at the weekend and it is a thing of pure beauty. It may well end up riding like an ageing pig, but a beautiful ageing pig!

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Outdated? No such thing. Frame of mind. Seriously it’s never the bike that’s slow, it’s the rider that’s slow. I occasionally ride my 94 ti ibis in rigid SS mode and keep up with most. Occasionally under / over geared, and occasionally a bit hard on the arms but that’s my choice . I think Anne Caroline won the ladies title in trans Provence this year on her mojo?

southshore
    Free Member

i have a HD, had it over 18 months, i think the rider is out dated, i’ve not been on a date for years

seriously though, best bike i’ve ever owned, fitted an angle set on mine shortly after i got it to increase the wheelbase
    awesome

Clover

Nah, it’s a date machine. My bf won me over by lending me an Ibis mojo. You could try it, southshore.

Still my favouritest bike. Bf not bad either. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Ibis Mojo – outdated?’ is closed to new replies.