Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Ibis Mojo HDR
  • Stevet1
    Free Member

I’m suffering from a severe case of dithering over whether to replace my old full sus frame. So far I’ve been set on a Santa Cruz blur TR (not gnarly enough?), a Yeti SB66 (tales of bearing issue horrors) and now the Ibis Mojo HDR has found its was into my crosshairs. I’d be using it for rides in the lakes / trail centres / general hooning about when I’m not on my hardtail which means largish drops and gap jumps – anything up to full on DH basically. Oh and I’d be running it in 26 / 160mm guise.
    So – who would like to be the first to tell me why this particular frame is a pile of pants?
    p.s. I already know it’s short. I’d be looking at a large which is within 5mm in top tube length and reach of my hardtail so I’m fine with that.
    Added pressure – dropped the new frame bomb last night and missus is fine with this as long as, and I quote, “You don’t buy one off the internet and find you don’t like it and moan about it for the next 5 years because that’s how long you’ll be keeping it for”
    I’m pretty sure I will be buying it off of the internet so need to make sure I’m going to be happy with it.

boobs

A mate of mine has one and it’s only got cracks in three places. Head tube, rear brake mount and around the mech hanger, other than that it’s great 😉

Stevet1
    Free Member

*weeps* Gaahhhh why is so hard to find a sodding decent bike frame.

sweaman2
    Free Member

At the risk of killing some kittens 5 years is a long time especially if you’re not going with the most up to date set of “standards”..

For what it’s worth I’ve had a Mojo SL from 2010 and it was great (even did some stuff in the DH park in Fernie on it and it survived) and recently upgraded to a HD3 which is even more fantastic both up and down.

Can’t speak to the HDR as such though I’m afraid.

Stevet1
    Free Member

At the risk of killing some kittens 5 years is a long time especially if you’re not going with the most up to date set of “standards”..

I don’t know if I’ve mentioned it before but I’ve had my current frame for 14 years (although I have had 6 hardtail frames in that time). Only thinking of replacing it as the top tube is quite short and it has a 1 1/8″ headtube restricting fork choice.
    Starting to think I should just keep it for another 14 years!

wilko1999
    Free Member

Sounds like bad luck there boobs. A mate of mine has a 26″ running 160mm front and back, has had it for approximately 3 years and has ridden it 3 or 4 times per week ever since he’s had it. He is phenomenally fast, hits huge gaps and drops and spent 6 months with it in Canada including the hardest lines at Whistler. The Mojo has taken it all in its stride, only needing one set of bearings. He had an SB66 before that went through bearings/shock pivots every couple of weeks the amount he rode it and then the chainstay snapped on a relatively small jump

Stevet1
    Free Member

wilko I like the cut of your jib.
    So it’ll either crack in multiple places, probably instantly killing me with carbon shards to the heart or last me many years of mahoosive radness kicking arse of anyone who dares to challenge me.
    I’m an eternal optimist so going to hang my hat on the latter option for now.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Ah okay – all good. The fork choice thing is one of the reasons I upgraded to a HD3 (if I could have got a pike in 1 1/8th I might have just done that) So I know of 1 snapped SLR frame but that was under an aggressive rider who didn’t land a 4ft to flat jump in Moab.

Until I retired it my SL had managed plenty of rough stuff including a few days of shuttling on Moose Mountain (near Calgary) as well as a bit of time in Fernie bike park with no ill effects.

I’m pretty light (72kg) and only moderately aggressive (by Canadian standards) so for me the SL was a good bike but I was just being bounced around on the descents too much. Trying to keep up with seamrs1 who’d borrowed a friends V10 for the day was a decision point for me.

The paint on my SL chipped really easily; the HD3 paint seems tougher but not had it long enough to really comment.

Haven’t ridden the HDR but it it’s like other Ibis it’ll climb really well; is nice and nimble on the downs. I’m an Ibis fan so I’d recommend them.

Daffy

I’ve had my (original) large Ibis Mojo since 2007 and have done approximately 11-13k miles on it. It’s had one set of new bearings and a new rear triangle (FOC from Ibis in 2011) after getting grit caught between the linkage and the swingarm.

I’ve had absolutely no problems with it and wouldn’t swap it for anything. I’ve ran it in 150mm guise since new and currently have it running 650b. It’s ACE!!!

wilko1999
    Free Member

I’ve been a bit of a tool. My mate in fact has the 2012/13 26″ Mojo HD, with 160mm rear wheel travel. Not sure exactly which model this is, or even how it compares to the latest HDR so my post above may be null and void 🙁

kilo

My mrs likes Mojos so much she’s got two, never had any issues with the frames, lovely bikes

julians
    Free Member

I owned an original ibis mojo hd for 4 years, sold it earlier this year as i fancied a change.

It was a great bike, no issues with crack etc, although i dont think i ride it as hard as the op intends to.

Head angle is a bit steep,seat tube angle a bit slack,and bottom bracket a bit high by current standards,but if youre fine with that then no reason not to buy one.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Aaaaand I’ve bought an Evil uprising off the classifieds.
    Somehow potentially flawed genius seemed more attractive to me than any of the other highly compentent frames I was considering previously (Mojo / SB66 / Blur TR).

wrecker
    Free Member

Congrats Steve, that looks a beauty. Reading the reviews, I don’t think you’ll regret it. Jealous!

Stevet1
    Free Member

Taking a bit of a punt but it feels like the right choice. Last hardtail frame before my slackline was an evil sovereign which rocked.

Stevet1
    Free Member

So what I learnt today was – before asking for a large amount of cash to be transferred to pay for a bike, make sure you say the name of the bike in your head before uttering it out loud as the description.

stoney
    Free Member

OP,

I have the HDR, in Cobra Blue….

I`ve had it nearly 12 months and coming from ah HT it certainly is a revelation……Yes it is shorter, but you get used to it…and then realise how nimble it is……

I am running it as 650b, “only” 130mm rear, but it is enough, if you want my Strava times!!!!!

I have to be Honest though.

I only got the Ibis as I was in Florida last year and picked it up over there (slightly long story)

I would throw a spanner in the works and say this…. If I hadn’t gone to Florida, I would have bought the YT Capra!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Ibis Mojo HDR’ is closed to new replies.