Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Ibis frame bearings-how long should they last?
  • John_Key
    Free Member

I have an Ibis HD3 and have just had the bearings replaced after 10 months, with the previous set lasting a similar time as well. Any recommendations for getting them to last longer or which brand might work better?

I try not to hose them down and install them with lots of grease and locktite in the right places.
    Any helpful suggestions welcomed!

matt_outandabout

IME, some frames eat through bearings. I’m back on accepting they do and going single pivot. HTH.

😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

Not had mine that long so still on the first set. I don’t know if they always have, but they now use enduro max bo bearings.

In theory, these are the best tool for the job though as designed specifically for pivots.

DW links are much harder on bearings than old HL designs.

Alex

On my Mojo3, all the swingarm bearings are right in line with the rear tyre. This is not an engineering design optimised for bearing longevity 😉

My proper mechanically minded mate took all of mine out after I’d have the bike (ex-demo) for about a 1000km including riding end of this winter. They were all just about okay, and we reused them after a clean and regrease. After swimming round the trans-cambrian last month, we’ll be doing the same check again.

Short of either fabricating some kind of mudguard to protect the ones in the path of the tyre and/or checking them regularly, not sure there’s anything else you can do. I have a spare set from MB-Bearings that are all Enduro Max to go in when needed.

Oh and definitely check the clevis DU bush – these definitely wear out the quickest. 2Pure have all the spares..

Alex

And this might sound daft, but because the chubby tyres are pretty useless when it gets sloppy and the clearances for tyres/pivot hardware/etc is so tight, I just don’t ride mine in winter. I’ll accept all its shortcomings as a year round bike because it’s so brilliant in three seasons.

bramblesummer
    Free Member

That’s pretty normal for an HD3. I replace mine up to twice a year with Enduro max BO bearings. The bearing seals are totally exposed to everything, even a hose pipe can push water past the seals with ease, so they are going to get knackered pretty quickly. It’s very much designed by those Californians who haven’t lived in a British winter. Bearing lifetime is a shortcoming if the frame, but I’ll accept it as it is such a brilliant Bike.

John_Key
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies and I’m glad I’m not the only one that has had problems with bearing longevity. I have ordered a set of enduro max ones for the next replacement.

I had decided to pull the rear linkages to bits the other day to check them and pop the seals and give the bearings some more grease, but it was too late. They were shot

tdog
    Free Member

Alex-any pics of your mojo 3?

Interested to know your thoughts if you’ve had it a while.

alanm
    Free Member

3 months for mine, how are you removing the bearings from the linkage?

Alex

@alan – my mate has a slide-hammer and a bearing puller so don’t remember it being a big issue. One side has a tapered bearing tho and you need to make sure you put it back in that side!

@tdog

[url=https://flic.kr/p/UPqnWj]Mojo3 with carbon wheels. Its finished now. Honest.[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/URbciw]Testing out new Carbon wheels[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

I’ve had it since end feb and ridden about 8500km so far. Mostly in the Forest of Dean but also been to all the Welsh trail centres, Spain for a week with Ciclo Montana and bits of the UK including the ranger path down snowden.

I really like it. It’s flawed as a year round bike as I noted above. But it’s the fastest bike I’ve ever had (and I’ve ha a few) and it’s an absolute joy to ride anywhere. Never felt short of travel nor feeling like I’m hauling too much bike around. It has that thing where if you’re not having a ‘on’ day it’s still fun to ride, but if you’re feeling brave and committed, it’s going to go as fast as your dare.

I tried it with the non chubby tyres (as it is designed for 27.5+ and won’t run 29) which is what Ibis recommend you do if you want more clearance/some grippier tyres but it’s nowhere as much fun. Running 2.8 Rekon’s at 16 PSI is the sweet spot even if they are a bit ‘roll-y’ in hard corners. I sort of like that. Until I ride my non chubby and come back to it. Then it’s odd for a bit.

The thing that naffs me off the most is the ridiculously tiny clearance between the top linkage and the seat tube. Just collects dirt and rubs the paint away. I spend far too much time cleaning that out and sticking a new layer of 3M tape it to save the frame!

Otherwise tho, it’s the bike I want to ride and I’ve ridden little else until conditions go to soft. Then it’s properly terrifying. This is not a Mojo3 thing, it’s a chubby thing. I think next year I’ll run some 2.6s which will give me more clearance and hopefully a better choice of tyres.

With the carbon wheels it’s about 28.5lbs. I’m lucky enough to have a Flare Max and a Smuggler as well. Both brilliant, but when it’s dry (like now), I’ll take the Mojo every time.

tdog
    Free Member

@Alex – looking smart!

I’ve recently got one and in best colour blood!

My sentiment so far is wow what a playful ride in that it handles and feels in general, match that with 2.8” NNs and well in certain conditions just rocks with amount of grip and believe roll over to be easier due tohigh volume of the tyres.

Ok ok, so I rush bought my Ibis and have yet to get any real ride time in on it plus what with time of year the purchase might prove to be crazy but not as crazy good fun riding in the mud 😆
    I literally fell in love with it the moment I saw it and had to seriously divert from silly hd3 mode which was over a grand cheaper than the mojo 3 but wow tbh I would have been overbiked like most on hd3 and this thing does seem to be poppy even with chubby rubber.

This topic has just reminded me and the info within to clean down bike after next ride
    I reckon as caked in sheep doodarr etc.

The M3 will be my go to bike from now on no matter what the weather may bring.

Alex

Been riding mine again today. Slight mistake in previous post 1800km not 8500 🙂

I was okay with the NN but swapped them onto my Chubby HT where they’ve been fantastic in the loamy woods round us. Went with Rekons for the chubby and they’ve been great – especially when they slide as it’s so predictable – but at nearly £80 a tyre and the rear is a semi slick now, not sure I’ll be buying many more.

The HD3 (and the new HD4) are too much bike for me as well. Mate has one and rides the wheels off it, but I’m really happy with the M3. Ridden 60km on it today and it’s just made me grin on every descent and not grimace too much on the climbs.

I actually wanted the back one but not too much choice with ex-demo. Love the read one now tho.

Not seen another one in the wild yet either….

twonks

Damn it. I really must stop reading your posts Alex 😆

Went out on my Mojo SLR today and tbh even after riding the chubby ht for the last few rides, the SLR still puts a huge smile on my face.

Will have a Mojo 3 with the 2017 bonus around Feb / March next year 🙂

As for the original question, I’ve removed, cleaned and regreased all my bearings once so far in 18 months of ownership, and it gets ridden in all weathers.

Will be leaving it in the house for this winter though, and riding the chubby HT. Can’t wait to have some death inducing slidy moments 😀

tdog
    Free Member

Likewise, bring on deathslides 😆

alanm
    Free Member

Cheers Alex,

looks like a good excuse for some new tools.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Ibis frame bearings-how long should they last?’ is closed to new replies.