• This topic has 21 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by ji.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • IB Rothan – from what age?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Blobby Jr is 15 months and running about so must be time to get him a balance bike 🙂 Is this too early? I think he’s fairly average height wise. When did your Jr’s start on theirs?

jonathan
    Free Member

About 20 months here. The first one took a while to get the hang of it, the second started at a similar age but was straight off (big brother to follow I guess).

Slightly tricky balance to draw between having it there for them to get familiar with, and the chance they’ll find it frustrating and get put off a bit. If they can sit on it properly then you might as well… but you may end up with a very bad back 😉

cr500dom
    Free Member

I brought my daughter one at 18 months, but she didnt really “get it” until 2, now at 3 she is buzzing about on it but still not really gliding and balancing, but thats probably because I need to do more with her on it 😳

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Balance bike (Ridgeback Scoot) for second birthday.

Took about 6 months of walking it before getting up to speed and then he flew!

IB Cnoc 14 for Christmas aged 3 1/2. Unridden & untouched for 9 months as he was having too much fun on the Scoot. Then he tried and 1 pedal stroke is all it took to get going.

5th birthday next monday. IB Beinn 20 (small) is in the loft waiting for him 🙂

I’m envisioning his little brother will pick it up quicker, but he’s only 9 months old at the moment..

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks. Think I may be better off leaving it a few months then as don’t want to put him off. He’s got a four wheeled toy train thing that he’s already straddling and pushing himself along on, may leave him on that for a while longer.

PTR
    Free Member

18months here too, he loved it, but didn’t really ride until 2 years. for the first few months he was limited to walking in the house and stroking the frame!

garage-dweller

Good advice above. Echoes our experience.

15month old no. 2 currently trying to get on much too big scooot. Loves to copy big brother.

Speeder

Mine’s 2 and 4 months and still has yet to do anything but push it around a bit and fall over but I think that’s because he’s not yet really tall enough for it. It least he’s getting on well with his scooter though now so he should have a bit of balance and the speed thing covered by the time he gets on to it.

garage-dweller

While the dads are around my four year old has really outgrown his 12″ wheeled specialized.

Do i go to 16″ and if so how long will we get from it? i reckon 20″ will be a step too far but wonder how long the 16 will last.

ji
    Free Member

About 20 months here as well – since moved on up to the pedal model, and now desperately needing gears as he loves the longer rides, but can’t manage a decent enough speed to keep up with everyone else for more than 2 or 3 miles.

I have the old Rothan still in the garage if you are interested in a second hand one?

Stoner
    Free Member

We found his umbilical cord could get wrapped up in the rear wheel. But other than that he was nipping along from birth.

Actually about 18months. Scooting on his own like a boss and causing havoc to all around from 20m.

Harry_the_Spider

My lad got one for his second birthday, but he didn’t really understand it until about 32 months then it just klicked and he was off for miles at a time.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Garage dweller. 16 suited mine until 6.By 6 they were more than ready for a 20.

joemarshall
    Free Member

We got Rose a balance bike at 18 months, bit of excitement then it sat in the corner of the room for a couple of months while she got used to the idea of it, then she was on it pottering around and down to the park at 20 or 21 months, riding it okay at 22-23 months, scooting along properly fast by 2, and zooming down the BMX track before 2.5 years.

If you buy it early, you can always just leave it around, if you don’t push them to go on it, there’s no reason they should get stressed about it, and they’ll pick it up to play with when they are ready.

Clong
    Free Member

Rothan for Christmas at 2 1/2. Took to it straight away and on boxing day scooted for about 2 miles along the promenade at Hunstanton. Knoc 14 at 3 1/2, couple of go’s and she was gone. I spend a lot of time with her on the bike, which probably helps.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I bought my daughter a Rothan for Christmas a month before her second birthday. After the initial excitement died down she didn’t really look at it for 2-3 months or so, and then one day she asked to go outside with it and that was that. She’s almost 3 ½ now and I’ve just replaced the Rothan with a CNOC 14 which she absolutely loves. I removed the pedals from the CNOC 14 so that she could get used to scooting around on a larger bike with brakes, but she’s managing fine so I think the pedals will be going on shortly.

doris
    Free Member

got a secondhand rothan for my little boys second birthday, we let him try a few different ones out in halfords and evans before he was two but he was just a bit to small so we waited. But since his birthday its taken about two weeks for him to get the gist of it. Absolutely bombs along on tarmac which is a bit scary and he has had a few falls off it as he gets a bit excited. I need to teach him what the brake does i think as i have had a few paniced runs to stop him riding off steps or into the duck pond at the park!! Luckily he is obsessed with his bike and given the chance would take it to bed with him.

So basically wait a bit so as not to put him off if he isn’t big enough to use one but if they are tall enough go for it but expect that it might take a while for him to get used to it.

kayak23

While the dads are around my four year old has really outgrown his 12″ wheeled specialized.

Do i go to 16″ and if so how long will we get from it?

29″ will roll better and last him ages…

mrblobby
    Free Member

So basically wait a bit so as not to put him off if he isn’t big enough to use one but if they are tall enough go for it but expect that it might take a while for him to get used to it.

Sounds like good advice. Thinking about it I reckon he is too young. Won’t be long though. He’ll be 20 months at xmas so may be a good time to get him the bike 🙂

mtbtomo
    Free Member

We got our eldest a Y-bike at about 18 months as a sort of half way house between a full balance bike and the four wheeled sit on truck things. Made going to the Rothan at 2 years old that bit easier, whether it was at all needed or not. It took a lot of abuse and neglect from 2 kids before the back axle finally broke. But it had done a good job.

http://www.google.com/search?q=http://www.play.com/Toys/Toys/4-/17940039/678062899/Y-Bike/ListingDetails.html

Just thinking what to do now, as the youngest it getting too tall for the Rothan but a pedal bike might be a bit much as he’s not 3 yet…

v8ninety

ji, YGM…

ji
    Free Member

v8ninety – have replied.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘IB Rothan – from what age?’ is closed to new replies.