Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • iain duncan smith defends maria miller (andrew marr show).
  • racefaceec90

saw a clip on bbc news,who’d have thought it eh 😉

we’re all in this together btw 😆

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Hmmmmm, it makes one wonder if they ever worked in the real world where expense fiddles = look for mew job.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Didn’t IDS tell lies about his schooling as well?

binners

It’s all a big over-privileged club. They won’t criticise each other, because they’re all at, and they don’t know who it is who’ll be caught out next

towzer

I was thinking of writing to my MP along the lines of – ‘presumably we’re being led by example, so I would expect that the second London(*or wherever is most tax/cost saving efficient) homes that MPs have (even the ones who clearly live within a normal persons commute) are subject to being taxed on any uneccessary bedrooms ?’

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I got a bollocking once for putting beer a few beers on my expenses when I got stuck on a job in the highlands. 🙁

gogg
    Free Member

There are street criminals, white collar criminals and then organised crime aka Politics.

Come the glorious revolution….

johnners
    Free Member

I think you’ll find Mr Cameron takes a very firm line with expenses.

[video]http://youtu.be/GMIhAIG96dg[/video]

julianwilson
    Free Member

Nhs data, badger cull and plain packaging for fags stories all announced by this government on the same day as the maria millier story and laughable excuse for an apoogy. In fact, all within an hour of each other according to the telegraph. Fantastic! 👿

grantway
    Free Member

Yep we learnt what the Tories call the Done Thing in the 80’s when they was last in power.
    No matter what ever wrong doing,even caught doing wrong The Tories stuck by each other
    even though the person/s was caught red handed.

Just don’t know why everyone one is so surprised ?
    Short memories come to mind !

skinnysteel
    Free Member

Disgusting hypocrites, the lot of them. None are worthy of my vote.

binners

Thank god we’ve the incredibly principled Labour Party, none of whom would be guilty of such things, to carry on forcing the issue, and demanding justice

Oh…. Erm…. Hang on a minute….

If Farage wants to increase his vote, using his tried, tested and very successful ‘I ‘m not one of them’ method, he could just play the video of her contemptuous, 30 second non-apology on a loop, occasionally indespersed with Dave, IDS etc saying that she’s made her apology, so the matters closed!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If Farage wants to increase his vote……

He best not remind people of UKIP expenses scandals.

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=ukip+expenses+scandal

Or how one of UKIP’s most treasured party member, Neil Hamilton, disgraced himself as a government minister by accepting brown envelopes stuffed with cash in return for asking questions in parliament.

binners

The trouble is that that’s the kind of thing he’d do as this anti-politics bandwagon he’s got going. And it works! Because the kind of half-wit who votes UKIP isn’t responding to reasoned political debate. It’s just dog whistle politics. And MP’s of all the main party’s play right into his hands with this engrained arrogant contempt for the voters they’re meant to represent. And Farage is fully exploiting that with his frankly ridiculous ‘man of the people’ shtick

jonba
    Free Member

Most other employees in the country would be sacked for what she did. Hopefully the electorate will do the correct thing come the next election if the government don’t have the sense to do it now.

It is like doping and cycling. They need to crack down and rebuild confidence so that people actually trust them.

binners

Getting back to the original point, it’s particularly annoying to hear Iain Duncan Smith defending her, because he’s the man who constantly parrots the phrase ‘culture of entitlement’ When referring to benefits claimants. If your talking about a culture of entitlement, then Maria Miller is the living embodiment of it!!

Coyote
    Free Member

Couldn’t agree more binners. The constant berating of the “benefits culture” when they ARE the f****** Benefits Culture! Claimed an incorrect unemployment / incapacity benefit? We’ll nail your f******* arse to the wall Sonny-Jim. Committed FRAUD on your expenses claim? Oh well, pay back a very small percentage and make an insincere mealy-mouthed apology and we’ll say no more about it. Bastards to a man.

grum
    Free Member

Didn’t she make over a million on the sale of the house she bought (partly) using her fiddled expenses? How about that for spongeing off the state.

1-shed
    Free Member

Should be sacked and sent down.

Northwind

binners – Member

The trouble is that that’s the kind of thing he’d do as this anti-politics bandwagon he’s got going.

Which is ironic, considering he’s been milking the system as an MEP for years. Maybe I give joe public too much credit but I’d like to think many people see him for what he is.

Philby

Even Norman Tebbit is saying she should go – this is the only time I have ever agreed with anything he has said and hopefully will the the last time!

ononeorange

Am I alone in feeling outraged that we are paying £90,000 to subsidise a politician’s second house? And when they sell it they keep any gains? Disgusting.

And if expenses are found to be fiddled in the real world, you’re not looking for another job- you’ll not get one as no employer would touch you.

They’re all the same and this stuff just makes me furious! Monday morning rant I know, but still!

kimbers

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/maria-miller-to-face-criminal-proceedings

pretty sickening that IDS is all about stopping the evil benefit cheats while defending another benefit cheat at the other end of society

footflaps

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Thanks for sharing that clip, Johnners. If Dave doesn’t act, he’s as guilty as she is.

mrmo
    Free Member

slightly OT, very few people in this country vote FOR mps, they vote AGAINST parties.

Whole culture is very negative, no one ever comes out and says what they would do better, it is all about what they are doing wrong.

martinhutch

Loathsome as I’m sure she is, we do need to remember how much of the agenda of outrage is being fuelled by the media’s self-interest post-Leveson. The minister responsible for media who has made plenty of noise about regulating the press? Release the Hounds!

This isn’t particularly a party issue either, when you look at the composition of the committee that watered down the original, far more deadly, report on Miller.

Member Party
    John Bercow (Chair) Speaker
    Kevin Barron Labour
    Mr Nicholas Brown Labour
    Ms Angela Eagle Labour
    Mr Andrew Lansley Conservative
    Sir Bob Russell Liberal Democrat
    Laura Sandys Conservative
    Mr Charles Walker Conservative

ctk
    Free Member

What also really gets my goat in these MP scandals is that sacked actually means standing down from your position in cabinet. Still an MP, still getting paid and still claiming expenses.

binners

Loathsome as I’m sure she is, we do need to remember how much of the agenda of outrage is being fuelled by the media’s self-interest post-Leveson.

And lets also not forget that the press reaction has been fuelled by Maria Miller and her chums making not-even-thinly-veiled threats that it might be very wise, “given the timing” (her quotes) of media legislation, that they drop the story. Hardly Putin-esque I know, but hardly the behaviour you’d want the government indulging in with regards to having its dirty laundry aired.

On balance, I’m happier living in a country where the press, despite the far from subtle threats has rightfully told her to eff off, and published it. If she’s getting savaged by a hostile press – then as with the rest of this sordid issue – she’s only got herself to blame.

Who the **** does she think she is?!!!

martinhutch

On balance, I’m happier living in a country where the press, despite the far from subtle threats has rightfully told her to eff off, and published it. If she’s getting savaged by a hostile press – then as with the rest of this sordid issue – she’s only got herself to blame.

Open goal, really. I’m always slightly cautious of stories about folk involved with Leveson, particularly in the RW press, but on this occasion I can’t really fault your summary!

smartay

Ok, lets just say that your sitting MP lives in their constituency and when they attend parliament they stay in a purpose built accommodation, one bed, whilst in London.
    Doesn’t one of the european counties do this

Mr laws, liberal, fiddled his expenses stepped out of the way whilst the flack is flying there brought back in, I’d love a liberal to stand at my door come election time

oh and the tuition fee?

binners

Lets be honest Martin, both sides involved in this argument represent a pretty unpleasant and untrustworthy bunch.

But the bullying behaviour of the government to stop a supposedly free press publishing facts about the blatant fraud committed by one of its senior members, is a pretty worrying development. And that has to make you wonder if they’re happy to see this covered up, what else is there? And can they be trusted with press legislation? Everything they’ve done post-Leveson would suggest not.

Coyote
    Free Member

Smartray, I was advocating this years ago! Why when they are attending parliament do they need a house? A one bed appartment is more than adequate. I cannot see why they need a second home. We are always hearing about the long hours they work, why do they need two houses, one funded by the public. It’s doubly galling as when they sell the second home they can make a killing on it.

Purpose built halls of residence type accommodation during the week and back to their constituencies when possible. There is no reasonable argument against this.

MSP

And while were at it, lets move parliament to an industrial park in Runcorn, no need for the public to be paying for prime London real estate.

martinhutch

And can they be trusted with press legislation? Everything they’ve done post-Leveson would suggest not.

I wouldn’t trust any politician. It’s always about short term expediency and self-interest. What’s the betting the Tories will start making warm noises about press freedom later this year?

I’m not even that fond of career regulator and inquiry man Ian Kennedy, though, so you can’t win really.

mintimperial

And while were at it, lets move parliament to an industrial park in Runcorn

Steady on, I hate politicians as much as the next man but there are limits!

binners

They could do worse than appoint Steve Coogan to sort out press regulation 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

There a re a few issues here
    1. Te independent regulator found she had over claimed by £45 k and parliament £5k – they wont trust the press to regulate themselves [ who would] but , as with pay rises, they have different rules for themselves.
    2. both told her off for not engaging in the process, having contempt for the process is at least as damning as the original crime She cannot claim she did not know for both of these
    3. i always thing what they Tory reaction would be were it a poor person denying they had a an extra bedroom and how they would treat them

She has to go. It is not even a political point, she cheated the system, she barely engaged with the process and her apology was , to put it mildly, unacceptable and not that believable.

Even the Tory membership are turning on here and only her mates in parliament seem to wish to defend her.

CMD has a pretty poor record of judgement on his pals. he appointed coulson and stood by him and now here……not great leadership or judgement IMHO

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Hopefully the electorate will do the correct thing come the next election

I doubt it. The detestable Hazel Blears said the same thing and smugly sat back safe in the knowledge no-one in Salford could think any further than voting Labour, even though she is the result.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘iain duncan smith defends maria miller (andrew marr show).’ is closed to new replies.