Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 130 total)
  • Iain [M] Banks
  • kimbers

The culture novels offer such a brilliant vision for the future of mankind, theres no denying that the man was gifted and a champion for humanity and altruism

(if that makes any sense, it does to me)

RustySpanner

Just heard this on the radio.

Very sad indeed.
    Met him at a book signing in Manchester a few years ago – he was either a genuinely nice bloke or a very good actor.

Just reading Raw Spirit again at the mo – I hope he’s still got a few decent bottles stashed away.

northernmatt

Gutted. Just finished reading Excession, couldn’t put it down.

Cancer is a bitch.

higgo
    Free Member

Very talented man, even that statement is exceptionally well written. Sad news.

Completely agree.

spacemonkey

Very sad. As has been said already, cancer really is a ‘kin evil disease.

codybrennan
    Free Member
    highlandman
    Free Member

Don’t forget Raw Spirit.
    Takes concepts that many STWrs will understand quite well- mixing a road trip around Scotland with Whisky.
    ‘Aye, you’ll be needing some help with that..’

He ain’t gone yet, so I wish him many many happy days out and about in the best wee country in the world.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Terrible news :(, Complicity kick started my reading as an adult and Crow Road and Espedair Street are two of my favourite books.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Gutted…He’s probably the one writer who I’ve stuck with throughout my life. I read the Wasp Factory as a semi-feral pre-teen growing up on the Welsh coast. The Crow Road as a waster student, and Complicity the year I got my first proper job. Devoured Raw Spirit on a bike tour of the Western Isles.

Losing him is going be like losing a close friend.

Northwind

This’ll sound daft but one of the first things I did when I got internet access was to join the Banskie mailing list culture@busstop.org, it was my first internet cult… and the effect the ideas I heard there and the arguments I’ve had, and the brilliant people I met from there have had on me over the years- almost half my life! None of that without him, inspiring isn’t the word for what this guy’s meant to me, so much more than words… Ah, I’m just gutted, talking crap. Cancer’s a dick.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

That’s poo!
    Just started reading my first Culture novel and loving it.
    Cancer is a bitch, in the last 4 years we have lost five friends and family and two others are in remission from breast cancer.
    I shall continue to read his work in my own, small, “two fingers to you” salute to cancer,

jamj1974

This is bad news for him, his friends and family. A good author whose work has entertained me through many hours. His work will be missed…

Raise a glass of Leapfrog…

Harry_the_Spider

He ain’t gone yet, so I wish him many many happy days out and about in the best wee country in the world.

Well said.

NZCol

Like everyone else I started with the Wasp Factory, mainly as I lived opposite his parents and through them I got a copy which he duly signed ! I have a shelf of his work and am gutted to hear this news, a nicer more genuine man you could not meet and a rare talent. Crow Rd is my face, a beautiful story told with humor and a great view of the world. I’m sure he will enjoy his last few days, weeks and months but still a sad piece of news.

julianwilson
    Free Member

How sad. 🙁
    I heard him speak on that Radio four programme where readers ask authors questions and he was well funny and down to earth. Discovered him relatively late so at least I still have quite a few of his books left to get through. 😕

seahouse
    Free Member

espedair street is my favorite of his books very sad news

matthewjb
    Free Member

Heard this morning. Terribly sad.

An author who’s books I genuinely look forward to.

I’ve read his Culture novels many times. And now there will be no more.

For those who have just started reading them, I envy you.

Kahurangi

Very sad news, hope he enjoys his time left!

nickwgbr
    Free Member

Gutted, awful news. Seems like a nice bloke and always looked forward to the next Culture novel and another apocalyptically powerful ship walking softly (or not) with a big stick (or series of sticks), loved the detail in them.

The NHS need effectors.

Spotted a great post on his tribute site, someone wished him good luck with the Subliming – I hope he does.

langylad
    Free Member

Wow, just reading the posts on here and the mention of everyone’s favourite books reminds me of some of the excellent things he has written. He has been the one constant author in my reading for the past past 25 years, sad news indeed.

mrchrispy

he laughed at me once when I asked him why he made he names of his characters in the culture series books so difficult to read (at least for a thicko like me). my favourite author bar no other. sad news

Speeder

First I’d heard of his condition was opening this thread, thought it would just be a “how great is he” type gush and it’s turns out he’s not got long left for this planet. It’s terribly disappointing news as I truly love his writing and look forward to each and every publication.

While he’s unlikely to read it, my best wishes to him and his family and I hope he has a wonderful year or so.

Best of luck Iain.

muddy@rseguy

Dammit.

No more Sheradenine Zakalwe turning up at unexpected moments, no more super sentient warships…Boo.

Still, he’s enjoying his remaining time hopefully with some suitably dark humour and good whiskey and has a great deal to show for his life.

Thanks Iain for “The Bridge” the Culture and “Against a Dark Background”, everything else was a bonus,.

Right, I’m off to savour and enjoy The Hydrogen Sonata.

Northwind

Think I’ll pick up my copy of Espedair Street tonight.

wwaswas

RIP sad to hear of such a great writer dying

convert

I re-read Crow Road when he announced his terminal condition a couple of months ago. Superb.

It’s a shame they did not manage to hurry his last book to print in time.

In a weird way I’m glad it did not drag on too long – not a nice place to be.RIP

Harry_the_Spider

A sad day.

RIP

spacemonkey

He was absolutely riddled with it by the sounds of it.

🙁

A true giant of his era.

RIP

bikebouy
    Free Member

I read a lot of his early books and enjoyed them immensely, thou latterly I never kept up with his writing prowess never really liking any of his ScFi meandering.

But boy, great author.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

😥

samuri
    Free Member

So sad

thv3
    Free Member

Such a sad loss

😥

nickc

bugger

brant
    Free Member

Gutted but inspired by his life. Wonderful man. Left a mark.
    RIP.

Pigface
    Free Member

Brilliant writer RIP

Rio

Will be greatly missed. RIP.

racefaceec90

have never read any of his books,but cancer is a ****.my condolences to his family/friends 🙁

wordnumb
    Free Member

Guess it was official then, him being very poorly. RIP.

anagallis_arvensis

I’m not much of a reader but he’s the only writer I would always read his new stuff. Sad sad loss.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘Iain [M] Banks’ is closed to new replies.