Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Iain Banks / Iain M Banks
  • Harry_the_Spider

I’ve read most of the Iain Banks books but so far I haven’t touched an Iain M Banks.

How “space-shippy” are they?

Which would the STW book club recommend I should go for first?

Ta.

afrothunder88

They can be pretty “space-shippy” and also quite grim in places, but having read the Iain Banks books I’d guess you already know that.

Personally I’d start with the first of the Culture books, canny remember its title at the moment though.

*Edit: Consider Phlebas

wwaswas

they’re stories about characters. There’s space ships in there but they’re more part of the story than a kind of ‘ooh lets add some space ships to make it SF’.

Player of Games is a good one as is Excession (sp?) – his stories are self contained but I’d probably try and read them in the order they were written as characters do appear in more than one book and there is a kind of arc to the Culture books that will make more sense read in order.

Harry_the_Spider

quite grim in places

I’ve survived The Wasp Factory 😯 so I’ll be OK.

thepurist

Some are very ‘space shippy’, like Excession which is partially narrated by conversations between ships. But like a lot of sci-fi, he just writes stories set in a different Culture rather than being all whizz kerpow star wars stuff. Ian Banks stuff like The Bridge or Walking on Glass is pretty close to some of the Ian M Banks stuff. I’d start with ‘Against a dark background’ or ‘State of the art’ & see where you go from there.

Murray

They’re quite “space-shippy” but the character development is quite similar to his main stream books. “Use of Weapons” is a good starting point.

big_scot_nanny

I started with Consider Phlebas, but agree that Use of Weapons, Player of Games are also kick ass reads and get you into the whole ‘Culture’ thing.

Would it be OK to admit that he also does the ‘action/exciting’ bits truly fabulously, even a wee bit like Tom Clancy when on form (e.g. Red Storm Rising tank battles – v exciting)?

The characters are fabulous in most of the M Banks books, and I absolutely love the humour (I LOL’d at certain points in Surface Detail’ recently), but for me I just rattle through the chapters when the action picks up. The race in the clouds in ‘The Algebrist’, The Abomintor ship in Surface detail, the battle to get out of the GSV in Consider Phlebas. Absolutely kick ass exciting reading, so well described and visualised.

Kev

Del

what they said, but if you’re a bit leery of sci fi i’d leave excession alone until you get into it a bit, and maybe feersum enjin (sp?) too, though i should read that again i think.

dmiller
    Free Member

The culture ones (with the exception of player of games) are pretty space shippy – although thats not a bad thing. His books tend to focus on the characters, although these may well be AI rather than human.

I would start with Against a Dark Background – its one of the best books I have ever read. Its just got that something that grabs me, something about the depth of the main character and the desperation shes put through, I dont quite have the words for it but it will stick in your memory. After that Surface Detail is superb. Then I would suggest Use of Weapons, then you might as well dive into the full blown culture books, Excession is the best example there.

I dont really like State of the Art, he doesnt seem to do the short stories as well in my mind. I much prefer Zima Blue, a book of short stories by Alasdair Reynolds, and would suggest thats where to go in sci-fi to begin with for your short story fix.

I doubt you will regret reading any Iain M Banks – perhaps the real place to start is whatever your local charity shop has for 50p?

spacemonkey

You’ll probably get the full spectrum of comments when it comes to asking STWers to recommened his space stuff. I’ve read 2-3 (Player of Games, Phlebus …) and had a go at others but just don’t get on with them. Much prefer his more contemporary stuff.

FAIL
    Free Member

My suggestion is use of weapons. Absolutely fantastic. I would argue that its his best book, regardless of the M in the middle of his name.

dmiller
    Free Member

big_scot_nanny – Try Neal Asher. Prador Moon or The Voyage of Sable Keech. Not eaxcatly high brow sci-fi but so much superb action so well done! Also Richard Morgan as well actually – Broken Angels, proper hard sci-fi but some good action as well!

j_me
    Free Member

Go for State of The Art as a starter. It’s a collection of short stories. Even if it is just for the line “first person singular obtaining colloquial orgasm within a Caledonian sandwich” 🙂

kimbers

some very good points mentioned
    consider phlebas is the chronological start but space opera for sure
    use of weapons or player of games would ne best

fwiw id say the M stuff was better written than a lot of his non M stuff

hels
    Free Member

I love space ships – a welcome addition to any book.

Love the names of them in the Culture books. GSV Read the Instructions, and Of Course I Still Love You. Brilliant.

The Algebrist is one of my faves, and the one with the fire planet – is that The Player of Games ? (although I think it was a little based on Enders Game but thats another thread in another forum)

Iain M Banks is the only SF I have ever persuaded my ladies book reading club to enjoy. I have tried !! For some reason space ships put a lot of people off. Crazy.

higgo
    Free Member

You’ll probably get the full spectrum of comments when it comes to asking STWers to recommened his space stuff. I’ve read 2-3 (Player of Games, Phlebus …) and had a go at others but just don’t get on with them. Much prefer his more contemporary stuff.

if you’re a bit leery of sci fi i’d leave excession alone until you get into it a bit, and maybe feersum enjin (sp?) too, though i should read that again i think.

Interesting.

I’m no stranger to SF, having read a lot of Phillip K Dick and Asimov in my time. I also like Iain Banks’ books. But I just didn’t get on with the one Iain M Banks book I have (Feersum Enjin).

Maybe I’ll try a couple of the others?

TheFlyingOx

I would like to thank this thread for informing me of an Iain M Banks book I haven’t read.

*** heads off to Amazon for ‘Surface Detail’ ***

thepurist

Ditto, but I’ll take the cheapskate option

*** heads off to local library ***

kimbers

feersum enjin is very much a standalone M novel
    I’m that case consider phlebas it is

best ship name anyone ?
    ethics gradient

franki
    Free Member

I loved The Wasp Factory and enjoy a bit of Sci-fi, so I picked up The Algebrist from the library. I just couldn’t get on with it a t all. Just didn’t like the style. I couldn’t make it more than a few pages in.

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve read most of the Ian Banks books and recently started on M with Consider Phlebus, which was excellent. Full of imaginative imagery and some unexpectedly gruesome bits and gave me a really good understanding of the immensity of the universe. The final battle in the tunnels didn’t do it for me though; I though he’d run out of ideas by then.

molgrips
    Free Member

They’re a bit space-shippy but not in the way you think. The ones I’ve read have the same Banks genius applied to.. well.. a whole Culture. It’s completely immersive and compelling, and I’m really not a scifi fan as such. The good thing is that it really is sci-fi as in the implications of technology, but from a societal aspect.

Surface Detail was one of those books that made me profoundly sad when I finished it simply because it was over.. It’s got loads of Culture exposition in it (although not awkwardly so) so it could be a good starter.

I really cannot even begin to explain how awesome Mr Banks is for me. I feel like a child on the knee of a great storyteller… 🙂

I love space ships – a welcome addition to any book.

Really? Pride and Prejudice in Space?

TheFlyingOx

best ship name anyone ?

Toss up between ‘Unfortunate Conflict Of Evidence’ and ‘Frank Exchange Of Views’ 😆

Creg

Consider Phlebas was the one I started with too, absolutely loved it. Read a couple of the others (Look to Windward, Use of Weapons) and enjoyed those too.

Didn’t read any of his for a long time and then picked up The Algebraist in a library sale a few weeks back. I’ve tried to get into it but I just can’t.

hels
    Free Member

“It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a space ship.”

That was easy !! Next !!

z1ppy

best ship name?

There’s too many

a sample..
    – I Thought He Was With You
    – Space Monster
    – I Blame My Mother
    – I Blame Your Mother
    – Only Slightly Bent
    – I Thought He Was With You

Love the idea of a huge, self aware ships giving themselves daft/humous names.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ships_(The_Culture)

wwaswas

too many names to mention that make me smile;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ships_%28The_Culture%29

[edit] too late

D0NK

Fearsum enjinn is one of my favourite books, a very, very cool idea.
    I like the culture stuff, I read excession first which probably wasn’t a brilliant idea. Reread it recently and I still had trouble remembering which ships were on whiose side, cool names but confusing.

spacemonkey

I would like to thank this thread for informing me of an Iain M Banks book I haven’t read.

*** heads off to Amazon for ‘Surface Detail’ ***

Ditto, but I’ll take the cheapskate option

*** heads off to local library ***

*** Heads off to the Kindle store to download some M samples to see if I can now start getting into them ***

molgrips
    Free Member

Falling Outside the Normal Moral Constraints was probably the coolest ship, regardless of name.

miketually
    Free Member

He regrets putting the M in his name for the “sci-fi” books. He considers them the same.

donsimon
    Free Member

Iain Banks great.
    Iain M Banks not great, in fact shite!

big_scot_nanny

molgrips – Member

Falling Outside the Normal Moral Constraints was probably the coolest ship, regardless of name.

Agreed, absolutely ****ing brilliant.

dmiller – Member

big_scot_nanny – Try Neal Asher. Prador Moon or The Voyage of Sable Keech. Not eaxcatly high brow sci-fi but so much superb action so well done! Also Richard Morgan as well actually – Broken Angels, proper hard sci-fi but some good action as well!

Cheers!

z1ppy

thanks for your useful observation there Don, cause we obviously all agree 🙄

donsimon
    Free Member

thanks for your useful observation there Don, cause we obviously all agree

You’re most welcome as I assume all opinions are valid. 🙄

mogrim

Iain Banks great.
    Iain M Banks not great, in fact shite

Got that one wrong I’m afraid!

Meatf…. is not a real ship name, but still my favourite.

D0NK

thanks for your useful observation there Don, cause we obviously all agree

Just to be contentious, I’ve started reading a couple none M books and not finished either of them.

donsimon
    Free Member

Sorry for having an opinion. 😥
    Tried reading the Algebraist and it was slow and boring.
    Sorry for havin an informed opinion. 😥 😥 😕

mogrim

Of course you can have an opinion, you’re still wrong though.

16stonepig
    Free Member

Like most others here, I reckon his sci-fi stuff is brilliant. There’s a lot of high-concept stuff in there, but I think he’s the best sci-fi story-teller there is. He draws his characters and dialog with much, much more detail and subtlety than any other sci-fi author I’ve read. And the humour is great – no jokes, just an underlying wryness.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Iain Banks / Iain M Banks’ is closed to new replies.